Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tanman
Now I'm in a conundrum. I can't find our MP cards. Do I request new ones and hope they come in time to use it a few times or keep searching in hopes of finding them.
Damn. Farnsworth and Lowe have resorted to going through peoples' wallets and taking their cards just to slow down usage.
Old 07-27-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Damn. Farnsworth and Lowe have resorted to going through peoples' wallets and taking their cards just to slow down usage.
Old 07-27-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they had implemented appropriate reasonable surge pricing at $2 a ticket awhile ago they might have survived longer. But $6 a ticket? That's 60% of the monthly fee for one ticket!

My questions for all the business peeps out there is how does a company like this get a $5 million dollar loan?
By agreeing to pay 25% interest for a 10 day loan AND paying the interest in full up front.

Feel free to correct my math, but I think that is an APR of 876%.
Old 07-27-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
By agreeing to pay 25% interest for a 10 day loan AND paying the interest in full up front.

Feel free to correct my math, but I think that is an APR of 876%.
Not only that but I'm sure they skip to the front of the creditor line if/when the company goes under, and I'm sure they feel like there's at least 5 million worth of assets to liquidate.
Old 07-27-18, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For the record, MoviePass's own website still says

UNLIMITED

ANY THEATER. ANY MOVIE. ANY DAY.

ONLY $9.95 A MONTH.
Old 07-28-18, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My local AMC upgraded all their theaters to recliner seating. Each ticket ranges from $14 to $16 depending on the day/time. So their A-list program is worth it for me. I will continue to use my MoviePass annual pass I got from Costco and collect stub points until my plan ends and/or when MP goes out of business. The points I earned from AMC and Regal has more than covered the $90 I spent on MP.
Old 07-28-18, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not only that but I'm sure they skip to the front of the creditor line if/when the company goes under, and I'm sure they feel like there's at least 5 million worth of assets to liquidate.
Ahh...I see there's the answer. So even if they can't pay back a $5 million 10 day loan (WTF?) they will still likely get their money back in some kind of assets. That's just insane that they need a 10 day loan worth $5 million.
Old 07-28-18, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the biggest problems with MP going under is I guarantee you AMC's A list sub will increase in price.

I really do wish they had been successful as I really do think this business model could work without asshats running the company. Unfortunately this isn't good for the consumer because now other companies and their investors will be far less willing to risk such an endeavor.
Old 07-28-18, 06:25 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

One of the biggest problems with MP going under is I guarantee you AMC's A list sub will increase in price.

I really do wish they had been successful as I really do think this business model could work without asshats running the company. Unfortunately this isn't good for the consumer because now other companies and their investors will be far less willing to risk such an endeavor.
AMC currently guarantees the price for a year.
Old 07-28-18, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

My questions for all the business peeps out there is how does a company like this get a $5 million dollar loan?
By putting collateral business assets and/or personal guarantees on the line. I won't be surprised that they went on the assets route and put our data as the asset on line in case they default the loan.
Old 07-28-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I haven't kept up with all the MP shananagans since I haven't seen a movie in a couple of months. I understand the surge pricing, but 11am on a Saturday is a surge? And what's the reason I can't see Mission Impossible?
Old 07-28-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I haven't kept up with all the MP shananagans since I haven't seen a movie in a couple of months. I understand the surge pricing, but 11am on a Saturday is a surge? And what's the reason I can't see Mission Impossible?
1) Yes, surge pricing isn’t really based on surges, it’s just charging a premium on the weekend to get them more money because most people want to see new movies on the weekend.

2) The reason is they’re running out of money and think they can save some by barring folks from going to the biggest movie of the month.
Old 07-28-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know that I am put in the “hater” camp for being a pragmatist, but tanman’s sentiments echo my own.

I believe there is a viable product here. MoviePass proved that before Helios and Matheson got their hands on it. Sinemia proves that.

Unfortunately, that viable product was seen by a couple of grifters as their way to live out their dreams of getting into Hollywood and becoming power brokers in the movie business.
Old 07-28-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
By putting collateral business assets and/or personal guarantees on the line. I won't be surprised that they went on the assets route and put our data as the asset on line in case they default the loan.
The sad thing is that the failure of MoviePass has brought down other companies and their employees with it. We’re really talking the entirety of Helios and Matheson. That covers their tech and consulting business and RedZone (gps/mapping tech company). Those assets may or may not be on the line as collateral, but they are all brought down by the stock situation.

I’m not sure about MP’s assets, but I still believe there is value in the company’s tech. I don’t know that the data holds the value it once did (at one time, over 1/3 of the value of Blockbuster in its heyday was its customer data). Data is too readily available these days.
Old 07-28-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw Teen Titans Go! To The Movies using MoviePass today, and did not have to pay a surcharge..
Old 07-28-18, 05:01 PM

Wow. $8 service charge today.
Old 07-28-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

No service charge for Sorry to Bother You today, spent $12 on two craft beers and popcorn. I'm going to miss the pass.
Old 07-28-18, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Saw Mission: Impossible - Fallout this afternoon and did not have to pay any surcharge.

Spoiler:
We bought tickets for Unfriended 2 and then slipped into the theater about to show MI.
Old 07-28-18, 06:59 PM

It looks like a bunch of movies / times were removed entirely.
Old 07-28-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Video from the last executive staff meeting has surfaced:

Old 07-28-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Wow. $8 service charge today.
Old 07-28-18, 08:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just opened the app and thought, what the heck, let’s see if anything isn’t surge pricing and I might be able to use this for the first time in a couple weeks. Every theater just shows MI, and all showings blacked out of course. No other movie. Just blacked out MI. All theaters. Good lord.
Old 07-28-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A recent Tweet in response to a customer:

MoviePass has all the resources necessary to continue our business operations for the foreseeable future, and we hope you remain an enthusiastic member of the MoviePass community. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

The next big question is how will MP react to the plethora of cancellations. Will they try something to get people to stay/come back? Will they just keep their head in the sand and claim nothing is wrong?

By my calculations, their next quarterly report is due around August 15. One thing of interest I saw while poking around their SEC filings was a reference to changing their fiscal year. It was mentioned as a heading in one of the 8-K filings about the reverse stock split, but I couldn’t find any information in the filings or on line. Are they trying to avoid having a quarterly report come out immediately after the miserable quarter they have had?
Old 07-28-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

App is completely useless tonight. MI: Fallout blacked out and no other showings listed. The end is near...
Old 07-28-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
App is completely useless tonight. MI: Fallout blacked out and no other showings listed. The end is near...
Yup no movies showing up anymore.

They just posted on Facebook.

We are very sorry to users having issues checking-in this evening. Some users have reported issues with card-based check-ins and we are working towards a fix on this technical issue. In the meantime, all e-ticketing remains fully functional.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.