Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen Sondheim's Company (2011) (w/Neil Patrick Harris)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 11:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Featuring Craig Bierko, Stephen Colbert, Jon Cryer, Katie Finneran, Neil Patrick Harris, Christina Hendricks, Aaron Lazar, Patti LuPone, Jill Paice, Martha Plimpton, Anika Noni Rose, Jennifer Laura Thompson, Jim Walton and Chryssie Whitehead.

Following five couples and their friend Robert (Neil Patrick Harris), the perpetual bachelor, COMPANY explores the true meaning of being in a relationship through a series of vignettes. Featuring an all-star cast backed by the New York Philharmonic (conducted by Paul Gemignani), this unique performance was captured live for the screen during four sold-out performances at New York's Avery Fisher Hall in April. Directed by Lonny Price (2010's "Sondheim: The Birthday Concert!"; recent New York revivals of "Camelot," "Candide" and "Sweeney Todd").

~~

sorry I didn't post this prior to it's Wednesday night screenings

Stephen Sondheim's Company: Theaters and Ticketing
Old 06-15-11, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Stephen Sondheim's Company (2011) (w/Neil Patrick Harris)

Christina Hendricks? I'm there.

Also...Stephen Colbert...
Old 06-15-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the performance at the Tony awards and had no idea what it was about. Appreciate the thread.
Old 06-16-11, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Christina Hendricks? I'm there.

Also...Stephen Colbert...
Christina is great.

Colbert is decent, but it's Cryer that's a head scratcher (i.e, he really can't sing) - he comes across as a total wallflower

as usual Patti LuPone is the strongest actor among the cast and nearly steals the entire production.

Neil's performance is both fun and commendable - he nails 'Being Alive'

actress Anika Noni Rose who plays the role of Marta sang her out heart out for 'Another Hundred People' which impressed the hell out of me (both in her strong vocal skills and the song itself - which I admit was the first time I had heard the song)

Last edited by Giles; 06-16-11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

And Stephen Sondheim!

I saw Sondheim on Colbert's show and the host was practically fawning over the guest. Interesting that now Colbert's in this.

Have to figure out a time to see this.
Old 06-16-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeing this tonight. Though it'll be my third Sondheim show in two weeks (I saw two different performances in DC last week), I'm still excited.

Though, to be honest, I do kind of wish that they'd chosen something other than "Company" to record. I love nearly everything Sondheim has done (as one might guess), including this show, but there's already a good, official video recording of the 2007 revival available on DVD/BD. I would rather see a video of something that isn't already available - perhaps the Kennedy Center's current revival of "Follies" or the recent Broadway revival of "A Little Night Music" (with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury.)
Old 06-16-11, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sondheim
I'm seeing this tonight. Though it'll be my third Sondheim show in two weeks (I saw two different performances in DC last week), I'm still excited.

Though, to be honest, I do kind of wish that they'd chosen something other than "Company" to record. I love nearly everything Sondheim has done (as one might guess), including this show, but there's already a good, official video recording of the 2007 revival available on DVD/BD. I would rather see a video of something that isn't already available - perhaps the Kennedy Center's current revival of "Follies" or the recent Broadway revival of "A Little Night Music" (with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angela Lansbury.)
yeah DC's been having a Sondheim fix lately, I assume you saw 'Follies' (Kennedy Center) and 'Side by Side By Sondheim (Signature Theater) - which I've seen as well - the latter was alot of fun, since a few of the songs from 'Company' where in it. Where are you seeing 'Company' at the AFI or E. Street? - see it at the Silver since it's on the larger 'historic' screen 1.

If you had read in today's Post - the Kennedy Center production of 'Follies' is now Broadway bound, so a home video release or a cinema presentation is now out of the question.

I would have loved to have seen the production of 'Assasins' that also starred Neil Patrick Harris
Old 06-16-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seeing this trailer at the theater tripped me out since I know Chryssie.
Old 06-16-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
yeah DC's been having a Sondheim fix lately, I assume you saw 'Follies' (Kennedy Center) and 'Side by Side By Sondheim (Signature Theater) - which I've seen as well - the latter was alot of fun, since a few of the songs from 'Company' where in it. Where are you seeing 'Company' at the AFI or E. Street? - see it at the Silver since it's on the larger 'historic' screen 1.

If you had read in today's Post - the Kennedy Center production of 'Follies' is now Broadway bound, so a home video release or a cinema presentation is now out of the question.

I would have loved to have seen the production of 'Assasins' that also starred Neil Patrick Harris
Yeah, those are the two shows I saw. I really liked "Side By Side By Sondheim" - though it didn't hurt that I already knew almost all of the songs by heart. I had some problems with the casting and the book of "Follies," but the rest of the performances and the second act more than made up for the weaknesses, in my opinion. I'd heard rumors that it was going to be transferred to Broadway, but didn't know that it had been confirmed.

As for "Company" - I was going to see it at the Landmark E Street, but according to their website it's already sold out (in fact, apparently all four showings in the next week are sold out, which seems kind of weird.) The AFI is quite a bit further from where I'm staying in Fairfax, so I'll have to decide between that and a theater ("Rave Motion Pictures") only a few minutes away that's playing it.
Old 06-16-11, 10:40 AM

Yeah, those are the two shows I saw. I really liked "Side By Side By Sondheim" - though it didn't hurt that I already knew almost all of the songs by heart. I had some problems with the casting and the book of "Follies," but the rest of the performances and the second act more than made up for the weaknesses, in my opinion. I'd heard rumors that it was going to be transferred to Broadway, but didn't know that it had been confirmed.

As for "Company" - I was going to see it at the Landmark E Street, but according to their website it's already sold out (in fact, apparently all four showings in the next week are sold out, which seems kind of weird.) The AFI is quite a bit further from where I'm staying in Fairfax, so I'll have to decide between that and a theater ("Rave Motion Pictures") only a few minutes away that's playing it.
you and me both - the book of 'Follies' felt a bit formulaic

I was bit peeved though that the actress that sings 'Au Paris' was out sick so the musical number was excised -

I loved Linda Lavin's rendition of 'Broadway Baby'. And yes Act II is far better than Act I, if not for the gorgeous set design of 'Wonderland'

The Post article seemed pretty asured that the move of Follies to Broadway was a-go - a theater has been secured and it's being touted as a 'limited engagement'. I think the Kennedy Center is being tepid in it's Broadway transfer after 'Ragtime' didn't do as well as they had hoped.

here's the article: Kennedy Center 'Follies' is Broadway bound

Why Landmark E Street has so few screenings is bewildering - since the crowd at the AFI was a good turn out for a Wednesday night. Fairfax Corners has some nice auditoriums (I've been there multiple times, it's NOT that far out from the AFI Silver, just take the Beltway - the US Open crowd will have hopefull been dispersed for the day) but the AFI's screening had a more theatrical feel - the use of the screen curtains and an actual 15 minute intermission.

Last edited by Giles; 06-16-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 10:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is this a recording or a live broadcast?
Old 06-16-11, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is this a recording or a live broadcast?
recording

oh and at the AFI Silver your ticket purchase includes a raffle ticket and a chance to win two tickets to the upcoming production of 'Sweeney Todd' at Wolf Trap (Friday July 22nd)
Old 06-16-11, 09:25 PM

It's nice seeing some Sondheim fans on the board!

I too wish we saw a filmed production of one of his other shows (A Little Night Music was a prime candidate!), but I'll check this one out when, if, it hits Blu.
Old 06-17-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tellybox
It's nice seeing some Sondheim fans on the board!

I too wish we saw a filmed production of one of his other shows (A Little Night Music was a prime candidate!), but I'll check this one out when, if, it hits Blu.
I know! I didn't figure any Broadway followers were here.

I got the other Company on Blu but have never watched it.

I wish a lot of other shows were available, but we're pretty darn lucky we have so many as it is.
Old 06-21-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got my tickets for tonight!
Old 06-21-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I was going to go with my daughter to see this on Father's Day (my other suggestion was Takashi Miike's 13 ASSASSINS--guess which one got quickly shot down?), but all the showings were sold out.
Old 06-22-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I felt a little dumb pre-ordering tickets yesterday, but after I skipped two showings on Sunday I figured the last showing in Seattle might be risky. Those two showings were at different theaters because it was only playing once a day, and of course there were none on Saturday or Monday.

Anyway, I'm glad I did because the place was packed! I probably arrived early enough to get a seat but maybe everyone pre-ordered and I would have been out of luck.

Loved the show! Tons of fun and overall a very solid cast.

Saw Sweeney Todd in a community theater on Saturday too so I'm having my own Sondheim-fest.
Old 06-22-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

New showings added June 23-26

http://nyphil.org/concertsTicks/companyonscreen.cfm
Old 06-22-11, 10:31 AM

I went a second time last night since my sister is in town and she desperately wanted to see it, we had to trek out to Reston to see it, since E Street had long been sold out. The crowd was very responsive to the humour, but unlike the AFI crowd (last Wednesday night) who applauded after nearly every song, didn't give a rousing applause til the very end- but still, it's a delightful show to revisit. As I unfortunately found out, the AFI Silver show was showing a projected bluray and the DLP bulb was replaced last Thursday - hence why I thought the image was quite dark (Bow Tie Reston's projection was superior in being brighter). Question is any theater actually doing the intermission, Bow Tie did not last night - AFI let the audience do their thing, get refreshments, etc. I gather theaters depending on how they receive/project 'Company' can enact the intermission if they so want to - if it's a satellite feed, there's no way to just push pause unfortunately.

It's great to see that this engagement is doing such bofo business - this might be one of the more successful alternative programming that's been offered to theaters. Maybe screenvision will give us more Sondheim goodness later on down the line.
Old 06-22-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Brief fadeout and lights slightly raised for our "intermission," but the show started up right after that.

I admit I started getting a little antsy toward the end, possibly because I'm used to intermissions at shows.
Old 06-27-11, 10:14 PM

I saw this on Wednesday, June 15 in Providence, RI. At most, there were 30 people there. Providence is a great theater city (PPAC, Trinity Rep) and has many colleges and universities. This movie had almost no promotion locally. I'd found news of it by accident online a week or two earlier.

A friend of mine went to see it (I told him about it) on Thursday, June 16 in a Regal cinema in Swansea, MA. There were SIX people there! Again, virtually no PR on it.

BTW, I really liked it - I'm a major Sondheim fan.

Any news about a DVD release?
Old 12-04-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sucks

http://www.playbill.com/news/article...-LuPone-On-DVD

Don't Drink to That! No Plans to Release Film of Company, With Neil Patrick Harris and Patti LuPone, On DVD

By Andrew Gans
04 Nov 2011

Those hoping to find a copy of The New York Philharmonic's concert version of Stephen Sondheim and George Furth's Company in their holiday stockings will be disappointed to learn that there are no current plans to release the critically acclaimed production, which was filmed and later screened in movie theatres, on DVD.

A spokesperson for the New York Philharmonic told Playbill.com, "At this point we don't know of any plans for a DVD of Company."

The production, which co-starred Emmy winner Neil Patrick Harris as perennial bachelor Bobby and Tony and Olivier winner Patti LuPone as the cynical, boozy Joanne, played Avery Fisher Hall April 7-9.

Directed by Lonny Price with choreography by Josh Rhodes, the cast also featured Martha Plimpton (as Sarah), Tony winner Anika Noni Rose (as Marta), Jim Walton (as Larry), Jon Cryer (as David), Craig Bierko (as Peter), two-time Tony winner Katie Finneran (as Amy), Christina Hendricks (as April), Aaron Lazar (as Paul), Jill Paice (as Susan), Jennifer Laura Thompson (as Jenny) and Chryssie Whitehead (as Kathy).

Alexa Green, Fred Inkley, Rob Lorey and Jessica Vosk comprised The Vocal Minority, and ensemble members included Callie Carter, Ariana DeBose, Sean Ewing, Ashley Fitzgerald, Lorin Latarro and Lee Wilkins.

Paul Gemignani conducted the famed orchestra; the concerts featured the original orchestrations penned by Jonathan Tunick.

Set in New York, Company, according to press notes, follows "five married, once-married, and soon-to-be-married couples and their mutual friend, Robert (Mr. Harris), a bachelor who has been unable to connect in a long-term relationship. The relationships are presented in a series of vignettes, primarily through Robert's eyes." The show's songs include "Company," "Side by Side by Side," "The Ladies Who Lunch," "Another Hundred People" and "Being Alive."

The original production of Company opened on Broadway at the Alvin (now the Neil Simon) Theatre on April 26, 1970. The musical garnered 14 Tony Award nominations (the record until The Producers in 2001), winning six, including Best Musical.

The recent Broadway revival, which starred the Tony-nominated Raul Esparza as the confused bachelor, ended its run at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre July 1, 2007. (The production was preserved in a TV version available on home video.) Company played 34 previews and 247 performances. The revival began previews Oct. 29, 2006, and opened on Nov. 29 at the Barrymore on W. 47th Street. It began at Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park in spring 2006, and commercial producers of Broadway's 2005-06 Sweeney Todd swooped in. This Company won the Tony, Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle and Drama League Awards for Best Revival of a Musical.

Presented by Ellen M. Krass productions, the New York Philharmonic, NCM Fathom and Screenvision, the film of the concerts were broadcast to over 600 theatres in North America.
Old 01-20-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now it looks like it will, in fact, be getting a DVD release.
The film of the New York Philharmonic concert staging of Company, starring Neil Patrick Harris and Patti LuPone, will be released on DVD, director Lonny Price told Playbill.com.

"It will for sure happen," Price confirmed. Negotiations are currently underway, though a timeline for the DVD release has not been set.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article...et-DVD-Release
Old 01-21-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And now it looks like it will, in fact, be getting a DVD release.

Obligatory shirtless Neil Patrick Harris movie still for Broadway fans:

Spoiler:

Old 01-23-12, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777

Obligatory shirtless Neil Patrick Harris movie still for Broadway fans:

Spoiler:

what? and no mention of Christina Hendricks' knockers ... er, cleavage ...

Last edited by Giles; 01-23-12 at 04:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.