Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
0%
3.85%
12.82%
12.82%
25.64%
16.67%
6.41%
2.56%
2.56%
3.85%
1.28%
In brightest day, in blackest night, this movie shall escape my sight!
11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by stingermck
But I think now that the ground work is done, they can get really crazy for a sequel.
Unless this thing makes $500 - 600 million, I wouldn't count on a sequel anytime soon, or at least a live-action one.
Old 06-17-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I don't know. I could see them doing a sequel if it does gangbusters overseas. Somewhat like POTC. That thing hasn't even made it's budget back here in the States ($250 million budget vs. $210 million in sales), but it's grossed over $700 million overseas. I don't know if WB distributes this overseas, though, so that might make a difference.
Old 06-17-11, 12:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm glad somebody got it.
Old 06-17-11, 12:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
In general most "comic book to movie" reviews are seldom glowing
Not really true. Good comic movies get good reviews, like this year's Thor and X-Men...and many other examples from year's past.
Old 06-17-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

There are basically two classes of Comic Book movies - those that score well with critics and those that don't. I find the critics usually praise the better ones and slam the worse ones, very little middle ground unless your name is Hulk.

As mentioned in the other thread:

The Good -> Spider-man, Spider-man 2, X-men, X-men 2, X-men: First Class, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Thor, Sin City, Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, V for Vendetta, Hellboy, Hellboy 2

The Decent -> Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-man 3, X-men: The Last Stand, Blade, Blade II

The Bad -> The Losers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four II, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Green Lantern, Punisher, Punisher Warzone, Priest, Elektra, Blade Trinity

Last edited by RichC2; 06-17-11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-17-11, 02:04 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw it this morning, it was better than I was expecting. I enjoyed it! Didn't pay to see it in 3D so I can't comment there, but I thought it was good. I would put it in the same tier as THOR. Good but not Great.
Old 06-17-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't know. I could see them doing a sequel if it does gangbusters overseas.
Which I don't see happening, unless there's a market overseas for unproven actors appearing in an adaptation of a comic book that is semi-unknown to the general public; I'm dying to know how the hell this cost $300 million.

Anybody who's seen the movie: is the CGI still as shoddy-looking as it was in the trailers?
Old 06-17-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

100M for marketing --- wow.
Old 06-17-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't know if WB distributes this overseas, though, so that might make a difference.
Warner is a major studio and has operations all over the world, so yes, they have total control over the film in most territories.
Old 06-17-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
And this is why they keep making this shit.
Because one day you will in fact reach your goal of no more bad things being made.
Old 06-17-11, 03:50 PM

Based on the current word of mouth, I'm smelling Daredevil type numbers already, and I liked DD. I'm not expecting a GL sequel for a long time. Still going to see it with the wife tonight though.

Hated Battle: LA btw. It felt like a military ad campaign.
Old 06-17-11, 04:09 PM

I can't for the life of me understand how people find shit like this entertaining. Sitting through these childish comic book movies is like having a rusty nail pounded into my skull.

Doesn't anyone else find all of the furious, incessant color/movement of these films incredibly boring? None of it means anything, it's just a bunch of crap up on the screen.
Old 06-17-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I can't for the life of me understand how people find shit like this entertaining. Sitting through these childish comic book movies is like having a rusty nail pounded into my skull.

Doesn't anyone else find all of the furious, incessant color/movement of these films incredibly boring? None of it means anything, it's just a bunch of crap up on the screen.
That wasn't much of a review at all.
Old 06-17-11, 04:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
There are basically two classes of Comic Book movies - those that score well with critics and those that don't. I find the critics usually praise the better ones and slam the worse ones, very little middle ground unless your name is Hulk.

The Good -> Spider-man, Spider-man 2, X-men, X-men 2, X-men: First Class, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Thor, Sin City, Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, V for Vendetta, Hellboy, Hellboy 2

The Decent -> Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-man 3, X-men: The Last Stand, Blade, Blade II

The Bad -> The Losers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four II, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Green Lantern, Punisher, Punisher Warzone, Priest, Elektra, Blade Trinity
I'm confused, are you saying that "the bad" are being unfairly slammed? Because most of those movies deserve to be slammed.
Old 06-17-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

X-Men: The Last Stand was "decent"?

Old 06-17-11, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac

what one enjoys doesn't exactly translate to quality.
Old 06-17-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Ghost Rider" managed to score higher than GL. I find that shocking as "Ghost Rider" is 100% shit.
Old 06-17-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2

These two movies have something in common with GL. I think we can pencil in GL into this category as well for similar reasons.
Old 06-17-11, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts

I enjoyed it. I would put it in the 'decent' category. I'd be in for a sequel that involves more of the corps.

We really need to get beyond, or start beyond origin movies though.
Old 06-17-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I enjoyed it. I would put it in the 'decent' category. I'd be in for a sequel that involves more of the corps.

We really need to get beyond, or start beyond origin movies though.
If you started with unknown properties like Thor, Green Lantern, and Iron Man without doing the origin, you'd completely alienate mainstream audiences and signal the end of comic book movies.

Internet comics nerds != general movie audiences. The latter need to be brought up to speed...
Old 06-17-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
"Ghost Rider" managed to score higher than GL. I find that shocking as "Ghost Rider" is 100% shit.
But GR is getting a sequel. Will GL? Maybe.
Old 06-17-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

By the same token, Ghost Rider didn't cost nearly as much... But I think ultimately GL will get a sequel and maybe they'll shore up the flaws in this one (and keep some costs down).
Old 06-17-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If you started with unknown properties like Thor, Green Lantern, and Iron Man without doing the origin, you'd completely alienate mainstream audiences and signal the end of comic book movies.

Internet comics nerds != general movie audiences. The latter need to be brought up to speed...

How true....It would be like LOTR or Fantasic 4 or Spiderman with starting at the second movie. Not everyone reads or knows comic book character orgins. And i wouldn't doubt some may be in for a little shock with Capt. America when it comes out.
Old 06-17-11, 07:50 PM

Saw it today and had a lot of fun. It had a lot of work ahead of it with laying down a lot of groundwork and introducing a less than familiar superhero to a general audience, but I think it came across pretty well. The main weak point is the last third where it felt like it could have used a few more passes on the script and another 15 minutes or so to flesh it out and help with the choppiness feeling. I wasn't ever really bored and even enjoyed the 3D for once. It also gets a lot out of the way for a stronger sequel, I feel. Don't really understand why it's getting such comparisons to the likes of Catwoman as it's nowhere near that bad. I've seen far less successful popcorn movies being slurped here on the forums so I don't know if people genuinely don't like the movie or it's just the newest target of internet nerds' keyboard rage. The movie's not amazing but it's far from horrible. In fact, if I was a kid and saw this, it'd probably be along the lines of Star Wars to me in how it'd leave me feeling afterwards. I'd probably give it a B-.
Old 06-17-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
X-Men: The Last Stand was "decent"?
Actually, it was.

I watched all four of the X-Men movies with my family prior to going to watch First Class, and we all agreed that The Last Stand was actually pretty good. It's not as good as X2, but there are some good themes there and for what it was (a larger than life story with a lot of characters) it was good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.