DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/591844-green-lantern-campbell-2011-%97-reviews-thread.html)

Mike86 06-18-11 01:16 AM

Re: Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

It was just okay if you ask me. Maybe not as bad as some of the reviews are making it out to be but not that great really either. For the most part I just wasn't that interested in the story and the pacing just felt off. I think a big problem the movie had was the villains just seemed sorta lame and the battle at the end was kind of a let down. So far this is easily the weakest of the superhero movies this Summer after the really enjoyable movies that are X-Men: First Class and Thor.

TimeandTide 06-18-11 03:26 AM

Just got back from seeing this and I agree with the rest about the awkward pacing. Felt at times as if entire scenes had been skipped.

And the CGI was really bad in places. The scene of Parallex flying through space got a few laughs from the audience...looked like the type of intentionally bad animation you'd find on Robot Chicken. The flying scenes were also poorly done and were barely an improvement on the '78 Superman. (Shocking considering GL's mammoth budget.)

Sinestro stole the show. Loved every scene he was in (especially the bit after the credits).

Didn't buy Lively at all in her role, and the melodramatic scenes between her and GL also got a few groans and laughs from the audience.

A C-, and zero intention of watching it again.

Deftones 06-18-11 08:57 AM

Good: Special effects. Were spectacular in 2D.
Ryan Reynolds put out a pretty good performance. Wasn't great, but certainly wasn't as bad as some were expecting. Mark Strong was a great Sinestro, too.

Bad: The god-awful dialogue. Holy shit there were some cringe worthy moments. Some of the things that GL conjured up. The race car? :lol: As soon as my buddy and I saw it, we looked at each other and busted out laughing.

Was it horrible? No way. Was it great? No way. Definitely not as good as Thor and I anticipate Captain America will blow both of them away.

Solid Snake 06-18-11 10:25 AM

I was wondering what Strong was like...from the trailers he seemed he was on the ball. Love his work.

JumpCutz 06-18-11 10:37 AM

Strong's Sinestro is by far the best thing about the film. He is excellent throughout the film in his limited role.

mrhan 06-18-11 12:47 PM

Spoiler:
What scene did John Stewart appear in? The character is listed on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3842480/

Deftones 06-18-11 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10822044)
Spoiler:
What scene did John Stewart appear in? The character is listed on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3842480/

i believe he was one of the 3 guys that got beat up at the bar after Hal got his ring.

mrhan 06-18-11 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10822058)
i believe he was one of the 3 guys that got beat up at the bar after Hal got his ring.

If it was him; it's pretty much out of character for him to jump someone.

The Cow 06-18-11 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10822178)
If it was him; it's pretty much out of character for him to jump someone.

I read he was supposed to be in the bar scene, but it was cut.

Dr. DVD 06-18-11 03:03 PM

Saw it. Green Lantern has good FX work and the 3D for once does not seem superfluous. However, it also feels like a really good superhero/comic book movie has been invaded by a crappy Ryan Reynolds romance movie. The first ten minutes was probably the best superhero movie opening I had seen in a long time. Whenever the movie was on Oa (sp?) and focusing on the corps, it was good. Whenever Ryan Reynolds was on screen being the same Ryan Reynolds we've seen a million times, it wasn't. I will say that I loved post credits bit. I just doubt they will be making more movies after this one.

gmanca 06-18-11 05:08 PM

Ok, 2 things about this movie; If you're going to see it, go see it in 2D, the 3D was fairly bad. In one scene, an ordinary object was added digitally to make it a 3D scene.

Second thing, if you like Superman 3, you'll enjoy this film more and if you hated that movie, you'll like this one a bit more than that.

It's a movie which failed at the production level, having producers who saw the dollar signs of a comic book movie. It's telling in what type of director they hired, how they budgeted the film, and what they thought would be the best sequences. Had they spent all of their 3D cash on more effects shots/ action sequences, it would have been a much better film.

Spoiler:
The sequence where Tomar Re says "Welcome to Oa", it should not have been a simple pan shot; there should have been a depth zoom through out that skyline to show all of the inhabitants, architecture, etc. The fact that the producers/director didn't see that as a necessary piece of that shot shows how by-the-numbers and out of cash they were.

Supermallet 06-18-11 05:13 PM

I do kind of like Superman III.

B5Erik 06-18-11 06:19 PM

One thing I should add - I took three 11 year old girls to the movie (birthday party thing), and they LOVED it. One of them said it was in her Top 5 movies of all time. It seems to resonate with the kids really well. Even my wife liked it, which I didn't expect.

I give it a "B," but the kids liked it more than I did.

The Antipodean 06-18-11 08:11 PM

I enjoyed it for what it was, nowhere near the apocalypse of superhero film some of the usual internet overreactors would have it be -- Ryan Reynolds was a good Hal Jordan (a character I've never particularly liked in comics anyway) who also channeled a bit of Kyle Rayner, the villains were a bit weak but the Corps was decently presented. It was also suitable for the 7-year-old who really dug it. I'd give it a solid "B" but it is flawed (there seems to be a bit of a leap between the scenes before the final battle and the battle itself).

glassdragon 06-18-11 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10820975)
I'm glad somebody got it. :)

You just have too much fear

I really enjoyed it honestly. I did feel that the good vs evil part of the movie was a bit too short though, but all in all it was good.

Hokeyboy 06-18-11 11:55 PM

CHRIST! Did a 10-year-old write that script? Fucking retarded. :mad:

I'm a huge GL fan so this was a crushing disappointment. :(

mdc3000 06-19-11 12:16 AM

Had some good moments but I was fighting sleep for the mostly dull second half. Hal never showed any real heart, didn't do anything cool to prove himself and the final defeat of the villain seemed way too easy. Oa and the Corps was the best part, we could have spent a lot more time on that stuff. I think there was a better movie lying on the cutting room floor but they wanted to get out something brisk that teenagers could see up to 5 times a day. I think with the right talent involved, they've set up enough stuff to make a HELL of a sequel.

Sorraffy 06-19-11 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10822568)
I think with the right talent involved, they've set up enough stuff to make a HELL of a sequel.

I agree. If there ever was a sequel they could really start branching out now that the introductory stuff is out of the way; I would figure most of the movie would take place away from Earth and we'd see a lot more GLC involvement.

Labor 06-19-11 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10822561)
CHRIST! Did a 10-year-old write that script? Fucking retarded. :mad:

I'm a huge GL fan so this was a crushing disappointment. :(

Its easily the most inept big budget hollywood presentation ive seen in years.

Nothing about it even remotely gives off the impression that anyone who even has a clue about movies was involved in making this.

Its a colossal turkey

riley_dude 06-19-11 02:22 AM

I actually liked it. I thought it was a fun comic book movie. Maybe not as good as some of the Aasgard stuff in Thor but the earth scenes played better in Green Lantern than in Thor.
I thought the effects were top notch and Reynolds did a fine job.

mrhan 06-19-11 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10822568)
Hal never showed any real heart, didn't do anything cool to prove himself and the final defeat of the villain seemed way too easy.

Yeah, that bothered me that Parallax was able to defeat a pack of seasoned GLs but was beaten by one newbie. -rolleyes-

Both GL cartoon movies were way better than this.

Goldberg74 06-19-11 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10822734)
Yeah, that bothered me that Parallax was able to defeat a pack of seasoned GLs but was beaten by one newbie. -rolleyes-

Beginner's luck?

Originally Posted by mrhan
Both GL cartoon movies were way better than this.

“My mom’s a teacher in this school and she’s a lot better [Green Lantern] than you, too. On Monday nights, my mom tutors and Mrs. Quinn takes care of me. She’s a better [Green Lantern] than you, too. And Frankie, my swimming teacher and Gus, my T-ball coach, are better [Green Lanterns] than you, too.”

Super X 06-19-11 09:24 AM

Ultimately, they needed a stronger focus for the film. As is, they were trying to establish Hal Jordan and his life, his new identity as Green Lantern, the Green Lantern Corps, Parallax, and Hector Hammond all at once. As a result, practically every one of them got short shrift.

It feels like Geoff Johns was the influence behind this. Not just for the concepts, but because, despite bringing Hal Jordan back in the comics, he has clearly been more intrigued by the corps and the concept of the rings than with his starring character. And Warner got behind that because they saw an opportunity to visually amaze with the film in a way similar to Avatar.

Now, I have no filmmaking experience, but I would have left the corps aspects of this movie for a later film. This film should have been about Hal Jordan and his personal journey from d-bag to hero. Parallax should not even have been here. To undertand Parallax, you have to understand the concept of the Green Lanterns and the casual viewer is being asked to come to an understanding of both at the same time. This should have been Hal Jordan's journey to being Green Lantern. Hector Hammond could have remained as the villain of the piece, tying in his origins to Hal's gaining of the ring. This would have allowed the filmmaker's to devote more time to developing the character, making a more well-rounded villain and, with the shared history he and Jordan clearly had, much of which seemed excised from the final cut of the film (assuming it was all there to begin with), would have enhanced the journey of Hal Jordan rather than seemingly like an anti-climactic afterthought.

Having the adventure be Earth-based would have provided a better sense of wonder at the visuals, contrasting with the normality of the planet they were occuring on, rather than having it contrasting with other visuals as on Oa, which downplays the uniqueness of what the character can do. Then the teaser at the end could have been of the corps, with the promise of further exploration in a sequel.

As is, this movie was the equivalent of Iron Man 2 if it had also been weighed down with the task of explaining who Tony Stark is and where he got the armor from.

Sessioner 06-19-11 09:56 AM

The end credits scene? Really? Come out of left field much?

Draven 06-19-11 01:29 PM

I saw a late showing last night and enjoyed it. Not the best comic book movie ever but nowhere near the bottom of the barrel.

The constructs were really fun and creative (even the race car). I have only a passing familiarity with GL through the Justice League cartoons and comics (I was more of a Marvel kid growing up) but I know that the comics have had goofy stuff like that too. I just thought it was fun.

I thought they set the world up well, Ryan Reynolds made the part enjoyable and I like that Carol called him out on his mask not really hiding his identity. I was prepared to roll my eyes that she didn't recognize him and they acknowledged it.

Anyway, I think it's getting way too much hate...especially from the purist nerds. It was a fun movie.

Hokeyboy 06-19-11 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sessioner (Post 10822780)

Retarded. Talk about a scene that wasn't built up to, nor did it make any dramatic sense, nor was it "earned" in any way.

A bunch of nerds in our audience started cheering. The rest of us stared at them like they'd seen another movie or something. Hollywood needs to stop listening to fanboys. They accept any old swill.

Mr. Cinema 06-19-11 02:32 PM

I had GL movie cash lying around and mustered up the courage to see it today in 3D. While I wouldn't put it in the "train wreck" category of stuff like Wild, Wild, West and Batman & Robin, GL is certainly a mess of a film. Everything felt rushed and nothing memorable happened. I think I'll probably forget what I saw later this evening.

The f/x were fairly decent and some of the 3D as well. But the dialogue is atrocious. I can't remember exactly how this line went, but which one of the screenwriters wrote "You're too afraid to even admit you're afraid."? That line landed with a gigantic cringe induced thud. Hector Hammond didn't quite work either.

The Oa parts were well done and Sinestro was one of the few bright spots of the film. I didn't mind Ryan Reynold's portrayal of Hal Jordan either. He had a horrible script to work with.

The end credits scene was definitely out of left field since there was no build up to that at all. I would like to see a sequel though with a new director that won't put in such a lazy effort.

gmanca 06-19-11 02:34 PM

Having known what the end credit scene was before seeing the film, I wondered how it would get there yet it never did. You could make a insignificant connection to why it happened, but it was such a superficial attempt at something that Marvel's been doing.

edstein 06-19-11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Super X (Post 10822764)
Ultimately, they needed a stronger focus for the film. As is, they were trying to establish Hal Jordan and his life, his new identity as Green Lantern, the Green Lantern Corps, Parallax, and Hector Hammond all at once. As a result, practically every one of them got short shrift.

It feels like Geoff Johns was the influence behind this. Not just for the concepts, but because, despite bringing Hal Jordan back in the comics, he has clearly been more intrigued by the corps and the concept of the rings than with his starring character. And Warner got behind that because they saw an opportunity to visually amaze with the film in a way similar to Avatar.

Now, I have no filmmaking experience, but I would have left the corps aspects of this movie for a later film. This film should have been about Hal Jordan and his personal journey from d-bag to hero. Parallax should not even have been here. To undertand Parallax, you have to understand the concept of the Green Lanterns and the casual viewer is being asked to come to an understanding of both at the same time. This should have been Hal Jordan's journey to being Green Lantern. Hector Hammond could have remained as the villain of the piece, tying in his origins to Hal's gaining of the ring. This would have allowed the filmmaker's to devote more time to developing the character, making a more well-rounded villain and, with the shared history he and Jordan clearly had, much of which seemed excised from the final cut of the film (assuming it was all there to begin with), would have enhanced the journey of Hal Jordan rather than seemingly like an anti-climactic afterthought.

Having the adventure be Earth-based would have provided a better sense of wonder at the visuals, contrasting with the normality of the planet they were occuring on, rather than having it contrasting with other visuals as on Oa, which downplays the uniqueness of what the character can do. Then the teaser at the end could have been of the corps, with the promise of further exploration in a sequel.

As is, this movie was the equivalent of Iron Man 2 if it had also been weighed down with the task of explaining who Tony Stark is and where he got the armor from.

Great post. :up:

The Antipodean 06-19-11 03:00 PM

While I enjoyed the film more than Super X did I agree with an awful lot of his post. Although I liked the Oa/Corps stuff, there was too much jammed in. I don't care for Geoff Johns' comic writing at all -- his writing is sloppy and relies on shock value more than anything, he really helped turn me off most DC Comics that aren't by Grant Morrison and is responsible for crap like the needless return of Barry Allen etc. I don't care at all for his whole green/red/blue/polka-dot rings mythology and Parallax has never been a particularly interesting villain. GL doesn't have a great rogue's gallery but certainly many of the weaknesses of the film were Geoff Johns trying to shoehorn HIS version of GL into a movie.

Supermallet 06-19-11 03:19 PM

Can someone tell me what the end credit sequence is? Does Batman show up or something?

RocShemp 06-19-11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sessioner (Post 10822780)

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10822946)
Retarded. Talk about a scene that wasn't built up to, nor did it make any dramatic sense, nor was it "earned" in any way.

A bunch of nerds in our audience started cheering. The rest of us stared at them like they'd seen another movie or something. Hollywood needs to stop listening to fanboys. They accept any old swill.

You sure about that?

Per Wikipedia:
Spoiler:

Back on Oa, the Guardians reveal to Sinestro that Parallax was originally one of them, Krona, until he desired to control the yellow essence of the Emotional Spectrum of Fear against the wishes of his peers, ultimately becoming the embodiment of fear itself. Seeing that the only means to fight fear is fear itself, Sinestro requests for the Guardians to forge a ring of the same yellow power. However, Hal appears and tells Sinestro not to use the ring and asks the Corps to help him protect Earth from Parallax's imminent invasion. His request, however, is denied and Hal himself must protect his home planet.

[...]

During the end credits, Sinestro, who is drawn by the power of fear, takes the yellow ring and puts it on.

Rushed, maybe. But certainly not out of left field or without buildup (albeit minor).

gmanca 06-19-11 03:38 PM

It had no internal logic; here's a guy who's talking about the greatness of the Green Lantern Corps and after the ending, then decides it's not the end-all, be-all? There was nothing that delineated what made Hal so special for that end credit to happen.

Spoiler:
I guess you could say that the human was "ruthless" and killed Parallax as opposed to confining him yet again, as Sinestro tried. But the reason for forging the ring is that the green ring was felt to be inferior, which Hal disproves. All the film demonstrates is that the ring could defend, but the tactics had to change.

Hokeyboy 06-19-11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10823030)
You sure about that?

Rushed, maybe. But certainly not out of left field or without buildup (albeit minor).

Rushed, inconsistent, illogical and embarassingly amateur.

Spoiler:
Sinestro was shown to be not only completely devoted to the Corps, but actively displayed as the highest ranking or most respected Lantern of all. There was no hint of frustration, dissension, anger, resentment, or insubordination from Sinestro. He was a devoted officer. He condoned and encouraged unorthodox methods of fighting a Fear-based entity with a Fear-powered ring, but not only did Hal show him it was unnecessary, Sinestro helped rescue him and laud his courage and deeds, etc. etc.

Putting on the ring "just because"... is really, REALLY cheeseball amateur hour. Plus it should have occurred 40 minutes into Green Lantern II, with enough motivation and character movement preceding it. To shove in a major, MAJOR story development of the Green Lantern "myth" into a stupid 30 seconds mid-credits sequence is a massive cheat to the fans and a disservice to the audience.

Deftones 06-19-11 04:49 PM

Comic book movies are serious business!

Hokeyboy 06-19-11 05:01 PM

Nice. Was "all your base" entirely too topical?

TomOpus 06-19-11 05:05 PM

I was on the fence about seeing this movie. After reading the comments, I'll just wait to see it on cable now.

Timber 06-19-11 07:48 PM

Wait they put Parallax in this? Didn't that character take about 30 years to come into play in the comic?

Solid Snake 06-19-11 08:11 PM

he was first mentioned and developed in 1994. That was his initial appearance.

Timber 06-19-11 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10823244)
he was first mentioned and developed in 1994. That was his initial appearance.

I know but hasn't Hal been around since the 60's or 70's?