DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/591844-green-lantern-campbell-2011-%97-reviews-thread.html)

Dragon Tattoo 06-17-11 08:57 AM

Re: Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10820644)
I hope they keep making "this shit" and I will continue to see "this shit." If only to know that it pisses you off.

:lol:

Solid Snake 06-17-11 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10820644)
I hope they keep making "this shit" and I will continue to see "this shit." If only to know that it pisses you off.

you know..the more shit they make...the more you'll have to tolerate this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DLMbxIoKN3...driguez-16.jpg

And we all know how much you hate that...

Patman 06-17-11 09:09 AM

The space/Oa stuff was fun (in 3D), the earth-side stuff was stiff and uninvolving (flat in 3D). I think kids will enjoy the spectacle and comic-book sensibilities. Chemistry between Reynolds and Lively was so-so. The script is haphazardly plot-driven with wide jumps from scene to scene without the requisite connective tissue to tamp down the jarring jumps between the earth-side scenes and the space-faring scenes. But it was enjoyable to see the GL's on Oa and in action at times.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

DRG 06-17-11 09:09 AM

It's not promising when the positive review quotes on Rotten Tomatoes contain words and phrases like "campy", "childish", "unremittingly average", "by-the-book", and "Cornball dialogue and poor characterizations".

RichC2 06-17-11 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Deadline.com
'Green Lantern' Opens To $3.35M Midnights
By NIKKI FINKE | Friday June 17, 2011 @ 7:10am PDT

FRIDAY 7 AM: Warner Bros is very pleased with DC Entertainment's Green Lantern 3D opening of $3.35M midnight showings from 1,810 venues, which bettered Marvel/Paramount's Thor midnights ($3.2M from 1,800 locations) and were on a par with Marvel/Fox's X-Men: First Class prequel midnights ($3.3M from 1,783 theaters). "It's an excellent result setting up for a strong Father's Day weekend at the box office," a Warner Bros exec emailed me this morning. Today, Green Lantern starring Ryan Reynolds opens in a wife but by no means record-setting release into 3,816 theaters, of which 2,711 will be 3D. There'll be a total of over 7,100 prints working. Hollywood is estimating North American box office for Green Lantern's weekend opening in the mid-$50M range with the upside as much as $65M-$70M. Sunday's Father's Day should be a strong day for the comic book movie judging from historic numbers with strong results from past superhero films.

K&AJones 06-17-11 10:06 AM

In general most "comic book to movie" reviews are seldom glowing and for sure won't win any Oscar. And they tend to be nic-picked from avid comic followers to CGI buffs to those who are expecting oscar performance. It's a comic-book based movie with action, special effets, sci-fi....plain and simple.

I'm being taken to see Saturday for my fathers day gift. My daughter wants to see and so does her boyfriend. I couldn't care less one star or 10 stars. And besides if it weren't for these "childish & cheesy" movies Hoolywoood would suck, theaters would be out-of-business and we be left with what to blow us away when the BR came out....Cougars,Inc, Glee, Burlesque...

Mr. Cinema 06-17-11 10:07 AM

Fantastic Four had nearly as many bad reviews as Green Lantern, and it did manage almost $155 mil in the US. However, I don't think the budget was as huge as GL's.

This was posted by Jeff Wells at Hollywood Elsewhere:

"I ran into Warner Bros. Entertainment president & COO Alan Horn last night during an after-party for The Last Mountain at the Westside Pavillion. I asked him about that $300 million figure that some say is the tab for The Green Lantern. Correct, he said, if you count marketing. The film cost about $200 million and the worldwide marketing total is about $100 million."

Hokeyboy 06-17-11 10:23 AM

If they can score a big enough opening ($65 million sounds about right) this thing might be salvageable from a PR perspective.

davidh777 06-17-11 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10820676)
The space/Oa stuff was fun (in 3D), the earth-side stuff was stiff and uninvolving (flat in 3D).

So at least it does have something in common with Thor

stingermck 06-17-11 10:40 AM

Saw it last night with a packed house, and I enjoyed it. Like any movie like this, I wanted more though. More OA, more Corps, everyone doing the Oath together, etc. But I think now that the ground work is done, they can get really crazy for a sequel.

GreenVulture 06-17-11 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 10820797)
But I think now that the ground work is done, they can get really crazy for a sequel.

Unless this thing makes $500 - 600 million, I wouldn't count on a sequel anytime soon, or at least a live-action one.

Deftones 06-17-11 12:34 PM

I don't know. I could see them doing a sequel if it does gangbusters overseas. Somewhat like POTC. That thing hasn't even made it's budget back here in the States ($250 million budget vs. $210 million in sales), but it's grossed over $700 million overseas. I don't know if WB distributes this overseas, though, so that might make a difference.

Supermallet 06-17-11 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 10820501)
:lol::up:

I'm glad somebody got it. :)

Groucho 06-17-11 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 10820749)
In general most "comic book to movie" reviews are seldom glowing

Not really true. Good comic movies get good reviews, like this year's Thor and X-Men...and many other examples from year's past.

RichC2 06-17-11 12:56 PM

There are basically two classes of Comic Book movies - those that score well with critics and those that don't. I find the critics usually praise the better ones and slam the worse ones, very little middle ground unless your name is Hulk.

As mentioned in the other thread:

The Good -> Spider-man, Spider-man 2, X-men, X-men 2, X-men: First Class, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Thor, Sin City, Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, V for Vendetta, Hellboy, Hellboy 2

The Decent -> Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-man 3, X-men: The Last Stand, Blade, Blade II

The Bad -> The Losers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four II, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Green Lantern, Punisher, Punisher Warzone, Priest, Elektra, Blade Trinity

bcd 06-17-11 02:04 PM

I saw it this morning, it was better than I was expecting. I enjoyed it! Didn't pay to see it in 3D so I can't comment there, but I thought it was good. I would put it in the same tier as THOR. Good but not Great.

GreenVulture 06-17-11 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10820960)
I don't know. I could see them doing a sequel if it does gangbusters overseas.

Which I don't see happening, unless there's a market overseas for unproven actors appearing in an adaptation of a comic book that is semi-unknown to the general public; I'm dying to know how the hell this cost $300 million.

Anybody who's seen the movie: is the CGI still as shoddy-looking as it was in the trailers?

wearetheborg 06-17-11 02:23 PM

100M for marketing --- wow.

Matthew Chmiel 06-17-11 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10820960)
I don't know if WB distributes this overseas, though, so that might make a difference.

Warner is a major studio and has operations all over the world, so yes, they have total control over the film in most territories.

The Antipodean 06-17-11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 10820486)
And this is why they keep making this shit.

Because one day you will in fact reach your goal of no more bad things being made.

leem6453 06-17-11 03:50 PM

Based on the current word of mouth, I'm smelling Daredevil type numbers already, and I liked DD. I'm not expecting a GL sequel for a long time. Still going to see it with the wife tonight though.

Hated Battle: LA btw. It felt like a military ad campaign.

Strevlac 06-17-11 04:09 PM

I can't for the life of me understand how people find shit like this entertaining. Sitting through these childish comic book movies is like having a rusty nail pounded into my skull.

Doesn't anyone else find all of the furious, incessant color/movement of these films incredibly boring? None of it means anything, it's just a bunch of crap up on the screen.

RichC2 06-17-11 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 10821254)
I can't for the life of me understand how people find shit like this entertaining. Sitting through these childish comic book movies is like having a rusty nail pounded into my skull.

Doesn't anyone else find all of the furious, incessant color/movement of these films incredibly boring? None of it means anything, it's just a bunch of crap up on the screen.

That wasn't much of a review at all.

Supermallet 06-17-11 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10820989)
There are basically two classes of Comic Book movies - those that score well with critics and those that don't. I find the critics usually praise the better ones and slam the worse ones, very little middle ground unless your name is Hulk.

The Good -> Spider-man, Spider-man 2, X-men, X-men 2, X-men: First Class, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Thor, Sin City, Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, V for Vendetta, Hellboy, Hellboy 2

The Decent -> Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-man 3, X-men: The Last Stand, Blade, Blade II

The Bad -> The Losers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four II, X-men Origins: Wolverine, Green Lantern, Punisher, Punisher Warzone, Priest, Elektra, Blade Trinity

I'm confused, are you saying that "the bad" are being unfairly slammed? Because most of those movies deserve to be slammed.

Hokeyboy 06-17-11 04:25 PM

X-Men: The Last Stand was "decent"?

:lol: rotfl :lol:

Solid Snake 06-17-11 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 10821254)

what one enjoys doesn't exactly translate to quality.

Mr. Cinema 06-17-11 06:05 PM

"Ghost Rider" managed to score higher than GL. I find that shocking as "Ghost Rider" is 100% shit.

edstein 06-17-11 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10820989)

These two movies have something in common with GL. I think we can pencil in GL into this category as well for similar reasons.

The Cow 06-17-11 06:48 PM

I enjoyed it. I would put it in the 'decent' category. I'd be in for a sequel that involves more of the corps.

We really need to get beyond, or start beyond origin movies though.

Hokeyboy 06-17-11 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 10821439)
I enjoyed it. I would put it in the 'decent' category. I'd be in for a sequel that involves more of the corps.

We really need to get beyond, or start beyond origin movies though.

If you started with unknown properties like Thor, Green Lantern, and Iron Man without doing the origin, you'd completely alienate mainstream audiences and signal the end of comic book movies.

Internet comics nerds != general movie audiences. The latter need to be brought up to speed...

devilshalo 06-17-11 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 10821387)
"Ghost Rider" managed to score higher than GL. I find that shocking as "Ghost Rider" is 100% shit.

But GR is getting a sequel. Will GL? Maybe.

TheMovieman 06-17-11 07:45 PM

By the same token, Ghost Rider didn't cost nearly as much... But I think ultimately GL will get a sequel and maybe they'll shore up the flaws in this one (and keep some costs down).

K&AJones 06-17-11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10821452)
If you started with unknown properties like Thor, Green Lantern, and Iron Man without doing the origin, you'd completely alienate mainstream audiences and signal the end of comic book movies.

Internet comics nerds != general movie audiences. The latter need to be brought up to speed...

How true....It would be like LOTR or Fantasic 4 or Spiderman with starting at the second movie. Not everyone reads or knows comic book character orgins. And i wouldn't doubt some may be in for a little shock with Capt. America when it comes out.

dcrw6 06-17-11 07:50 PM

Saw it today and had a lot of fun. It had a lot of work ahead of it with laying down a lot of groundwork and introducing a less than familiar superhero to a general audience, but I think it came across pretty well. The main weak point is the last third where it felt like it could have used a few more passes on the script and another 15 minutes or so to flesh it out and help with the choppiness feeling. I wasn't ever really bored and even enjoyed the 3D for once. It also gets a lot out of the way for a stronger sequel, I feel. Don't really understand why it's getting such comparisons to the likes of Catwoman as it's nowhere near that bad. I've seen far less successful popcorn movies being slurped here on the forums so I don't know if people genuinely don't like the movie or it's just the newest target of internet nerds' keyboard rage. The movie's not amazing but it's far from horrible. In fact, if I was a kid and saw this, it'd probably be along the lines of Star Wars to me in how it'd leave me feeling afterwards. I'd probably give it a B-.

B5Erik 06-17-11 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10821276)
X-Men: The Last Stand was "decent"?

Actually, it was.

I watched all four of the X-Men movies with my family prior to going to watch First Class, and we all agreed that The Last Stand was actually pretty good. It's not as good as X2, but there are some good themes there and for what it was (a larger than life story with a lot of characters) it was good.

B5Erik 06-17-11 08:02 PM

As for Green Lantern, I liked it.

It's not great, but it is very entertaining. It's not as good as it could have been (they made Hal Jordan a little too flakey), but the CGI was very well done and there was just enough character development to make the movie work.

The one thing that struck me ever since I saw the trailer was how Parallax looked like the version of Galactus from the 2nd Fantastic Four movie.

But, overall, I thought Green Lantern was good, not great by any measure, but good.

Super X 06-17-11 09:10 PM

Just got back from seeing this. Overall, it was better than I was expecting and I enjoyed it. The visual effects were great and Ryan Reynolds toned done his normal smugness and made a decent Hal Jordan. I could definitely see the things that could have made this a great movie.

However, in many ways, it felt like an incomplete film, which is why I give it only an okay grade. Events occur suddenly at times, seemingly apropos of nothing. Characters have sudden, undeveloped connections. It very much seemed as though the should have edited it tighter than they did or that they left some needed scenes on the cutting room floor. As a result, it felt like an oddly-paced film. I'd be interested in seeing a director's cut to see what Campbell's vision of the film looks like, assuming that this was not his cut of the film.

Ultimately, I doubt this will perform stronly enough to produce a sequel, but I'm okay with it on it's own. But I lament what seems to be the wasted potential of what looks like could have been almost a great film.

Paul_SD 06-17-11 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10821452)

the first X-men movie is good example of a film that drops you right in the middle of the story/conflict and then parcels out the exposition as you need to know it.
Out of all the comic book movies, I thought Fantastic Four was the one that could have easily dispensed with stepping us through the entire A,B,C's of how everything happened, and instead just used some kind of meta commentary, like a segment of a TV tabloid show, to deliver quick concise exposition about who these people are, how they got their powers, what their powers are, and where they are now. That group was always written as media friendly and out in the open, so it would have made perfect sense. But there a slew of other, creative ways to get the exposition out of the way quickly and efficiently to get on with more vigorous, external conflicts.

Actually, Star Wars is an even better example. We don't need the prequels at all, and (ep IV) starts in the middle of the story, but audiences have never had a problem figuring out what is going on. And that is about as exposition heavy material as there is.

maingon 06-18-11 01:04 AM

Well I been looking forward to seeing this one as I'm a fan of the Comics and I worked on the vfx and Stereoscopic 3D and I must say it was pretty average. It wasnt a train wreck like the reviews were suggesting nor was as good as X-men First class.

I really loved everything on Oa and Blake Lively really looked stunning through out the movie. I was really puzzled by the direction/editing/pacing of the film really wasnt done well. Also you got a guy who can create anything that he imagines and yet you dont have one really cool action scene. Also the Final battle was a huge letdown.

Overall its a C+. I sorta liked it more then Thor but was really hoping to be blown away by this movie cause the Wondercon Trailer had me really excited.

Iron_Giant 06-18-11 01:13 AM

Loved it.

Was in perfect - no, very few movies are.

To bring GL to life is very difficult to do, I was pleasantly surprise after reading the "Bad" reviews. Went with 5 people and everyone was liked it and was very entertained.

They had to change Hal and give him the ability to make the audience to laugh. A man with no fear can be a very boring charter on the big screen.

Parallax origins had to changed just a bit, but not a big deal.

Reviews were complaining out some of the constructs GL created, I thought they were all great. The spring in the TV ads worked, I do not get the attitude on the guy using a little creativity.

-Want more Kilawog, Sinestro and the GLC. (More screen time, more action from them - I hope there will be a GL2 "The Sinestro Wars")

I am going to see it again tomorrow morning with another buddy.

WE ARE THE CORPS...