Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

In Time (10/28/11) Andrew Niccol's new film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

In Time (10/28/11) Andrew Niccol's new film

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: In Time (10/28/11) Andrew Niccol's new film

Originally Posted by The Bus
I was mildly interested in seeing this. Now that I realize what other work Andrew Niccol has done, I will be sure to see this.
Same here. I knew his name sounded familiar.
Old 10-28-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed it except
Spoiler:
there is no explanation at all as to how society came to be that way. What happened to paper currency? How were human beings changed to expire after 25 years? Is this some kind of alternate universe?
This kept it from being a really good movie.
Old 10-29-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

^ agreed, the plot had a lot of holes. That and I don't think Justin Timberlake is ready for leading roles. I thought he did an admirable job, but his acting skills still need some work. For example

Spoiler:
when he caught his mother after she died his crying was very fake and unbelievable. I didn't feel any sympathy for him because of how poorly acted that was.

I did enjoy it overall, but it's not up to par with Niccol's other work.
Old 10-30-11, 12:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the concept of the "Time" was pretty awesome but just didn't feel the movie. As said previously, they didn't explain how the world came to be and eh, I'm disappointed. I don't quite see how the poor people lived the way they did and that pulled me out of the movie. If you miss a day of work you're dead, I'd be freaking out. I wouldn't pay my rent if that left me with 90 minutes before I'm dead. Not just broke...dead! Maybe I thought too much into it.

I'll play hold em with JT's character any day, what a river rat drawing to a gutshot and hitting it :-). Didn't mind JT's acting and wish Olivia Wilde and Matt Bomer were in it longer.
Old 10-30-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it yesterday. Found it entertaining and way more engaging than Gattaca, which put me to sleep first time I tried watching. JT's acting was fine, aside from the aforementioned scene with Wilde. Unlike others, my problem didn't stem from the scenario but some minor things like Seyfried's character doing so much running but not bothering to change out of high heels or the fact that
Spoiler:
they were able to check into nice hotels while their photos were splashed on a billboard across the street. You can't tell me the clerk would not recognize them!
Old 10-30-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I actually thought it was the long rumoured Logan's Run remake when I first saw the trailer.
I read the Director who did Drive with Gosling was going to be doing the next Logan's Run. I think Gosling has signed on to do it too.
Old 10-31-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it yesterday. Found it entertaining and way more engaging than Gattaca, which put me to sleep first time I tried watching. JT's acting was fine, aside from the aforementioned scene with Wilde. Unlike others, my problem didn't stem from the scenario but some minor things like Seyfried's character doing so much running but not bothering to change out of high heels or the fact that
Spoiler:
they were able to check into nice hotels while their photos were splashed on a billboard across the street. You can't tell me the clerk would not recognize them!
Yea, that bothered me as well. Seriously, running around in 6 inch heels? Movie cliche #39
Old 10-31-11, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I read the Director who did Drive with Gosling was going to be doing the next Logan's Run. I think Gosling has signed on to do it too.
oooh! Nicolas Winding Refn and Gosling for the fucking win, motherfuckers! I'd be game for that.
Old 10-31-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Refn seems to be one of the few modern directors that deems mood/atmosphere as important as anything else in the movie (not quite to the level of Lynch and Cronenberg but getting there). Love that shit, hope Logan's turns out well.
Old 10-31-11, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think what he does very different in mood/atmosphere is the grit. It's just gritty and harsh...
Old 10-31-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't take Timberlake seriously as a leading man, or seriously as an actor period. I don't see the allure with this guy, and he isn't going to be a draw when it comes to films. Bomer would have been a far better lead.
Old 10-31-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

I like the premise of the movie. I'm a sucker for premises like that. I didn't mind that they didn't explain how society came to be that way.

But I thought the execution of the premise, in the form of this movie that was made, fell flat. Part of it was Justin, part of it was the script.
Old 10-31-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
I can't take Timberlake seriously as a leading man, or seriously as an actor period. I don't see the allure with this guy, and he isn't going to be a draw when it comes to films. Bomer would have been a far better lead.
Thank you! I couldn't agree more. And I've been saying this about most of Timberlake's performances. I like the following comments (although the first broken) about JT on Firstshowing.net.

Acting is the easiest fucking job in the world , we do it every day but we raise up dildos like this on our shoulders like they have some god given talent .. bullshit they got their singing acting jobs just like we get our jobs ... connections, saw dawg , his snl skits for a singer his voice sounds lame for an actor.Like he hasn't hit puberty, ya i'm male too ..bias no. just not impressed. delete if u must.

and...

Hate Timberlake's voice, too acute for hollywood style.
Old 11-01-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Given the timeliness of the Occupy Wall Street movement, this film is tied in a somewhat liberal agenda of what might happen if you spread the wealth around. It just feels like a liberal wet dream in cinematic form. It romanticizes "sticking it to the man". It offers no solutions, just more anarchy of desperate actions.

I sort of liked some of the ideas of having to scrounge around to live past a year after you reach your 25th birthday due to the genetic time clock everyone is now born with. And then you have the concepts of the "rich" loaded with "time" units, and how longevity without risk isn't really living, it's simply existing due to some born-in inherited advantage. I didn't like the ease of siphoning off people's time from one another, seems like there should have been more of a intrinsic barrier to just handshake your way into additional time units. Some of the plot points just seem too "set up" for encounters in the final act, too telegraphed, with a narrative flow based on our 2 protagonists (Justin Timberlake's character Will, and Amanda Seyfried's character Sylvia) literally being on the run for half of the film. Even the Timekeeper character played by Cillian Murphy didn't feel fleshed out motivationally speaking.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C, mainly for its politics, but on the plus side, also for showing us that Amanda Seyfriend make make a decent casting choice as Batwoman (totally has the look of Kate Kane's short red bob, and porcelain skin, though she's a little short and skinny in this film).

Last edited by Patman; 11-01-11 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-12, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Caught this via Red Box. Agree it was a pretty good film based on a really great idea, yet it wasn't spectacular.

I think some of the "older" characters were not believable. Bonkers sold me as an old tired soul, but practically nobody else.

I thought Timberlake was fine in the role. There could have been some more motivation to st off the story. It's like they skipped a scene.
Old 03-05-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Yea, that bothered me as well. Seriously, running around in 6 inch heels? Movie cliche #39
I think those were magic heels. Because
Spoiler:
when she didn't have them on at the end, she could barely jog to Justin Timberlake when her clock was about to expire.

I liked the movie but it felt like the script needed another rewrite (or two) before the cameras started rolling.
Old 06-20-12, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched this on video the other night. Very disappointed. They had an interesting concept, where time literally equals money, but did't explore that metaphor in the least. You could change the readouts on their arms to dollars and add a rule that broke people in this dystopian society are killed instantly and you would barely have to change a word of the script.

The one moment where I felt a hint of what could be a much better treatment was when the main character got rich and ate at a fancy restaurant. The waitress said he didn't act rich because he did everything too quickly.
Old 09-21-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Finally got around to watching this tonight. It was alright. I definitely feel like it was a bit on the long side though. Probably could have lopped off 10 minutes or so.

Amanda Seyfried is freaking smokin' hot.
Old 09-21-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. Some decent parallels to this and the issue of income inequality in the country. I wasn't expecting much, though I adore Niccol, and it didn't disappoint.
Old 09-21-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this was extremely mediocre for an Andrew Niccol film. I expected a more thought-provoking premise, like his other films. This film was a little too content with it's intriguing premise, and never managed to dig deeper. Truman Show and Gattaca were both prophetic (strong word, i know) in many ways, and that was their greatest strength. This was very run of the mill, but still better than most of the junk out there.
Old 09-22-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The film has some flaws but I enjoyed it and have watched it again since my first viewing.

There are some films that even though I won't paint them as superior films as such, they just work for me. This is one of them.
Old 01-13-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this on HBO. It was real stupid.

Poor motivations for main characters, no motivations for secondary characters, and all plot. Everything was too facile and nearly every action in the movie could be negated with a simple "Yeah, but...". All of the characters were idiots. Everything just seemed very roughed in, like a student script or someone writing down the plot of a dream.

Just a really dumb movie. Not unwatchable, just dumb.
Old 01-14-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Saw this on HBO. It was real stupid.

Poor motivations for main characters, no motivations for secondary characters, and all plot. Everything was too facile and nearly every action in the movie could be negated with a simple "Yeah, but...". All of the characters were idiots. Everything just seemed very roughed in, like a student script or someone writing down the plot of a dream.

Just a really dumb movie. Not unwatchable, just dumb.
Yeah, but...

It was fine for what it was... Robin Hood of the future.
Old 01-14-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yeah, but...

It was fine for what it was... Robin Hood of the future.
Except it really didn't deliver the goods on that angle either. The premise is great but the execution was poor. Not poor enough to make me hate it but enough to make me not want to revisit it.
Old 03-28-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Amanda Seyfried is freaking smokin' hot.
Was never a huge fan, but in this movie daaaaaamn.

As for the movie, the premise is intriguing but the execution is really lacking. Justin Timberlake simply isn't a credible lead. Never bought him in the role for a second. Also couldn't believe Roger Deakins shot the movie: couple of the action scenes felt off and just overall not up to his standards.

Niccol's worst film to date, but that could change with The Host.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.