Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
8.40%
24.37%
31.09%
25.21%
6.72%
0.84%
1.68%
0%
1.68%
0%
0%
Ready for this? Let’s not find out.
0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by zubidoo
If anybody thought this film was anything other than bad then I'm sorry but you seriously either A. have no idea what you're talking about or B. need to watch a LOT more movies, and GOOD ones. Note: saying a movie is bad and saying you liked it is two different things. "Bad" implies you were seriously studying it and determined that a lot of the elements that make a movie good or great were simply not there. Saying you "Liked" it implies that you, for whatever reason, enjoyed sitting through it.
Wow. What was so "bad" about it?
Old 06-05-11, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anybody thought this film was anything other than bad then I'm sorry but you seriously either A. have no idea what you're talking about or B. need to watch a LOT more movies, and GOOD ones. Note: saying a movie is bad and saying you liked it is two different things. "Bad" implies you were seriously studying it and determined that a lot of the elements that make a movie good or great were simply not there. Saying you "Liked" it implies that you, for whatever reason, enjoyed sitting through it.

Are you really going to make that assertion without an example, you know, seeing as how you "studied" it?

I would also say that seeing the reviews here, and all over the net that YOU are the minority in this one. You ever stop to think that it isn't everyone else who doesn't know a good movie when they see it, but it is you who doesn't?
Old 06-05-11, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I liked it as an action movie, but as a pure X-Men movie, I felt it was a bit crappy. The Charles/Erik stuff was good, and Kevin Bacon was a great villain, but the majority of the "first class" was laughably bad to cringeworthy.
So why did you give it a 4 out of 5 rating then? And what exactly was laughably bad and cringeworthy in this movie?
Old 06-05-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seen it last night & I liked it better than X3 & Wolverine: Origins. Really need to revisit 1 & 2 since it's been awhile since I watched them but I was very impressed with this prequel. Bacon was in top form as the villain & I thought Fassbender was perfect as Magneto plus Rose Byrne was good as always in this. January Jones was great eye candy.... McAvoy was good but someone else would have been better in the role IMO. Cool to see all the other mutants in this.... 3.5/5
Old 06-05-11, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

coming from the guy that made an IMDB list and wants people to "like" it? You might wanna rethink your position on wording.
Old 06-05-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between this, Bridesmaids, and Insidious, Rose Byrne is really on a roll. Looking forward to seeing her on Damages Season 4.
Old 06-05-11, 10:06 AM

"Are you really going to make that assertion without an example, you know, seeing as how you "studied" it?"

1. There was nothing particularly new or interesting about the plot or its themes. It was a cookie-cutter story that reeked of "hey how can we tie all of these historical events in with X-Men?!". Sure, it was fun to see how they tied the Cuban Missile Crisis in with the X-Men and the cameos were cute, but they just never took it to that next level of greatness. It tried to excite the audience with cheap shot moments such as "hey, that's beast! I remember him! Look how normal he looks!" and "so that's how Magneto got his helmet and that's how Professor X got crippled!". It was all so obviously forced that it was almost cringeworthy and if one were to remove the other X-Men films from history First Class would not stand on its own merits AT ALL.

2. The acting was subpar for most of the cast, although Kevin Bacon and Michael Fassbender were decent. James McAvoy was completely uncompelling as Professor X and the rest did not make an effort to wow the audience. I never got lost in any of the characters such that I really thought that it was Darwin or Raven or Beast or whomever.

3. The writing was never more than adequate. Character development, when it happened at all, was mostly forced and unsatisfying. Magneto's story of revenge made sense in the simplest way, and his desire to rule the world and get rid of humanity instead of reasoning with them seems odd for somebody who was in a concentration camp.

4. The pacing of the movie was okay - it was certainly watchable but nothing truly spectacular ever happened. There were absolutely no standout moments in the movie that I will remember even a month from now.

5. The soundtrack was laughably uninteresting and clearly had no heart and soul behind it. You could probably swap it with the soundtrack behind almost every other mainstream action or superhero movie of the last few years and it would sound 90% the same. They swelled the music up at all the predictable times to force emotion instead of letting emotion come naturally from the writing and the acting itself.

In the end, it was bad, but it was watchably bad which is what most of the mainstream American moviegoing audience seems to like, apparently. So long as the pacing is okay it seems like mainstream directors can get away with mediocre or bad scripts, acting, cinematography, etc, and that's unfortunate.

Out of curiousity what rating out of 5 would those of you who liked it or thought it was good give it?

RE: anomynous: "Elitist much?"
-Yes I am, but I'm an elitist who not only can back up his claims but also has a good reason for being that way. I don't mind if anybody liked this movie or any other movie I think is bad, but to say that it was good is a slap in the face to all of the far superior films out there.

Last edited by zubidoo; 06-05-11 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-05-11, 10:28 AM
Banned

1. There is nothing ever really new in films. Only how you mix things together and create your own beast out of it...which was interesting for this.
2. Fassbender was solid, as was Bacon. While McAvoy didn't have the healthy amount of meat compared to Fassbender to play with he did very well in conveying the stress/pressure and emotions involved.
3. As I've said before about the story. It had Grade A startings only to get B level finishings...which was sad cuz you could tell they were going for more.
4. Pacing was fine, I'd no issue w/ it. Went by pretty steadily.
5. Again..as I said, the music for the most part was pretty good....but then it'd hit generic set ups to moments that usually called for it...a genre failing.

It wasn't a bad movie. It was a good movie that was only elevated from OK by some of the character moments and the actors for those characters. Again interesting set ups but at times didn't end well to what they going for.

Bad movies exist. Why? Too many reasons to name. Good movies exist, again why? Many reasons as well. I'd give this movie a 3.5 (which for some damn reason I chose 4 when I meant 3.5...can someone change that for me?)

To say this is a good movie doesn't do shit to any superior film out there. A superior film is a superior film and doesn't need to do shit to shove it's superiority in someone else's face. Why? Cuz it's that damn good that it doesn't need to. Get off your high chair. You're not a movie god. You're a nobody like the rest of us. Also...stop trying to get people to go to IMDB to validate yourself or whatever you want us to do.
Old 06-05-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Are you really going to make that assertion without an example, you know, seeing as how you "studied" it?"

1. There was nothing particularly new or interesting about the plot or its themes. It was a cookie-cutter story that reeked of "hey how can we tie all of these historical events in with X-Men?!". Sure, it was fun to see how they tied the Cuban Missile Crisis in with the X-Men and the cameos were cute, but they just never took it to that next level of greatness. It tried to excite the audience with cheap shot moments such as "hey, that's beast! I remember him! Look how normal he looks!" and "so that's how Magneto got his helmet and that's how Professor X got crippled!". It was all so obviously forced that it was almost cringeworthy and if one were to remove the other X-Men films from history First Class would not stand on its own merits AT ALL.

2. The acting was subpar for most of the cast, although Kevin Bacon and Michael Fassbender were decent. James McAvoy was completely uncompelling as Professor X and the rest did not make an effort to wow the audience. I never got lost in any of the characters such that I really thought that it was Darwin or Raven or Beast or whomever.

3. The writing was never more than adequate. Character development, when it happened at all, was mostly forced and unsatisfying. Magneto's story of revenge made sense in the simplest way, and his desire to rule the world and get rid of humanity instead of reasoning with them seems odd for somebody who was in a concentration camp.

4. The pacing of the movie was okay - it was certainly watchable but nothing truly spectacular ever happened. There were absolutely no standout moments in the movie that I will remember even a month from now.

5. The soundtrack was laughably uninteresting and clearly had no heart and soul behind it. You could probably swap it with the soundtrack behind almost every other mainstream action or superhero movie of the last few years and it would sound 90% the same. They swelled the music up at all the predictable times to force emotion instead of letting emotion come naturally from the writing and the acting itself.

In the end, it was bad, but it was watchably bad which is what most of the mainstream American moviegoing audience seems to like, apparently. So long as the pacing is okay it seems like mainstream directors can get away with mediocre or bad scripts, acting, cinematography, etc, and that's unfortunate.

Out of curiousity what rating out of 5 would those of you who liked it or thought it was good give it?

RE: anomynous: "Elitist much?"
-Yes I am, but I'm an elitist who not only can back up his claims but also has a good reason for being that way. I don't mind if anybody liked this movie or any other movie I think is bad, but to say that it was good is a slap in the face to all of the far superior films out there.
I'm not going to argue with you and say that it was a great film, cause I thought it was just okay. However, I will say that at least Jim Carrey wasn't in it and there were no "football in the groin" jokes or farting penguins. I had to see that trailer twice this weekend and wanted to slit my wrists. The fact that people were laughing along with it made it that much worse...
Old 06-05-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Hmmm. I'm torn. I liked it but I didn't like it as much as I expected to. I though McEvoy did sound a little like Austin Powers at times. Fassbender and Bacon were fantastic and really elevated the movie. I don't know what it is about Jennifer Lawrence but I found her performance as horrible. Not really sure I can pick it out, but she just seemed so blah. The special effects were fantastic, specifically the Azazel stuff. The fight with he and Beast was very well done. I thought it was a little too long. Maybe about 10 -15 minutes too long. The two cameos, specifically
Spoiler:
Wolverine
were great nods to the fans. I'm glad I went into it without that knowledge, because it made seeing them that much better. Overall, I'd say it didn't live up to the hype for me being better than the 1st 2 X-Men movies, but it was definitely better than X3. I hope they keep the franchise going.
Old 06-05-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I'm not going to argue with you and say that it was a great film, cause I thought it was just okay. However, I will say that at least Jim Carrey wasn't in it and there were no "football in the groin" jokes or farting penguins. I had to see that trailer twice this weekend and wanted to slit my wrists. The fact that people were laughing along with it made it that much worse...
For those who haven't experience it, here it is in all its glory! But it doesn't seem to be in 3D, big opportunity missed there...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y3cSmpfsl9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-05-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the scenes with Fassbender and McAvoy, and everything with Fassbender solo was effing amazing. Outside of that, the movie did nothing else for me. It's really hard for me to objectively look at the film having the comic knowledge compared to the reimagined mishmash that a lot of these types of ventures produce. I did my best, but aside from my own medium continuity hangups, I still thought some of the acting jobs were flat (Lawrence) or just completely terrible (Jones - P.S. Always). Some of the effects looked great...but then there was Beast and Frost in her diamond form to. Overall I was left with a bunch of "meh" outside of anything having to do with Magneto.
Old 06-05-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the movie. I would have liked to see more character development with the younger X-men but that was my only major gripe. I thought it was odd how easily some of these X-men changed sides.
Liked Rebecca's cameo more than Hugh's.
Old 06-05-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I thought First Class was a good movie. It could have, however, been better.

Overall, the movie was exciting and entertaining. The pacing, however, was uneven, and the movie was probably 10 minutes too long. McAvoy was OK as Charles, and Fassbender was good as Erik, but the rest of the cast was uneven. Kevin Bacon was decent, but a little campy at times.

I loved the cameos - they were unexpected and fit in the movie really well.

Overall, I'd say that anyone who thought that this was a truly, "Bad," movie can
Spoiler:
follow Wolverine's advice.

It wasn't as good as it should have been, but it was a decent movie. I hope we do get another to follow it up. Then I'd like to see a follow up to X3.
Old 06-05-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
So why did you give it a 4 out of 5 rating then? And what exactly was laughably bad and cringeworthy in this movie?
Because it was still an enjoyable action/sci-fi film. Everyone knows CONAN THE BARBARIAN is a pretty crappy Conan film compared to the source material, but that doesn't diminish its entertainment factor.

Cringeworthy?

Darwin for starters. Thrown into the film for one specific, stupid purpose. Banshee was the biggest offender. An awful actor not aided by some of the worst special effects in the film. Last but not least you have Havok, who is built up as an anti-social badass, but quickly adjusts as a jovial wisecracker.
Old 06-05-11, 03:10 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen trailers or read much about it before seeing it, and I went in with average expectations. It exceeded my expectations. I would definitely like to see a sequel.
Old 06-05-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fassbender is definitely the main reason to see this. He owned the Magneto role and did a great job. The scenes between he and McAvoy were also very good and they displayed some good chemistry. It's easily better than the original, and miles above X3 and Wolverine. Still not sure if it's better than X2, but I was entertained quite a bit. I thought Azazel was a bad ass as well. I do wish
Spoiler:
his fight with Beast lasted longer.

For a Summer blockbuster, it felt a tad light in the action department, but still was a very entertaining film. It made for a great setup to a sequel, which I hope happens. It opened to $56 mil, which is pretty good, but I was hoping for higher. It'll need some good word of mouth to get it past $150+ mil range, especially with Super 8 and Green Lantern on the way.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-05-11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I enjoyed the scenes with Fassbender and McAvoy, and everything with Fassbender solo was effing amazing. Outside of that, the movie did nothing else for me. It's really hard for me to objectively look at the film having the comic knowledge compared to the reimagined mishmash that a lot of these types of ventures produce. Overall I was left with a bunch of "meh" outside of anything having to do with Magneto.
I enjoyed the movie but feel the same way. I started reading X-Men in '73; bought all the back issues and kept up with it until 1998 and none of the movies comes close to what happened in the comics. I know it's impossible to translate all of it; it's just too much. Even simple background stories such as the Mystique, Nightcrawler, Rogue connection would have been hard to incorporate. It would have been a whole movie on it's own.
Old 06-05-11, 03:35 PM

The cameo is the best cameo in movie history, it seriously kicked ass. If you haven't seen it yet please don't spoil it for yourself.
Old 06-05-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

One little thing. Was it just me or was it odd when Shaw mentioned the line "living in slavery/chains" the camera focused in a close up on Darwin, the only black mutant in the scene?
Old 06-05-11, 03:49 PM
Banned

Yeah...I thought that too.
Old 06-05-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One little thing. Was it just me or was it odd when Shaw mentioned the line "living in slavery/chains" the camera focused in a close up on Darwin, the only black mutant in the scene?
I laughed when it did that. Such a "oh look, a black guy!" moment
Old 06-05-11, 03:55 PM
Banned

I really hated the X kids having fun at the CIA place...too silly. And the wire work for Angel in her little fly dancing just looked to weird.
Old 06-05-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

I noticed that too and chuckled a little.
Old 06-05-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah...it was odd. And then

Spoiler:
they just kill him 2 minutes later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.