Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Complaining About Theater Experience

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd enjoy going to the movies a lot more if it weren't for the goddamed audiences.

Actually though, I've been to the movies about three times in the last month. First time in fact since RotK came out and it was actually a pretty good experience. Clean comfy seats, polite audiences, good presentation, etc. Only real problem was the annoying The Twenty ads for crappy tv shows (Who Wants To Be a Hilton? Jesus H. Christ!), and the quality of the trailers. Good help me if I ever find myself going to one of these so called 'action' flicks where all the stunts and pyrotechnics are computer generated. Hell, if I want that sort of thing I'll stay home and play a game on my PC. Goddamed The Island, Stealth or whatever they're calling the latest crapfest.

Fortunately the last time I remembered to bring a book.
Old 06-19-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

two really bad experiences that i can remember which still make me think twice about going to some movies:

Revenge of the sith: Got some nice sweets dead center. Unfortunately, some parents decided that their 3yr old kids needed to see Star wars at the midnight showing. Needless to say the kids had to cry/ leave the theatre about 2-3 times throughout the movie. Nice parenting! Too make things worse, the local high school cheerleading squad decided to sit directly behind us. The moment i knew that this wasn't going to be good was when Anakin showed up in that robe half naked and the girls giggled, "oh my god he is soooo hot!"

The second was Harry Potter Chamber of secrets: I decided to see this on the second weekend, hoping to miss the rush. No go there, and to make matters worse we had two middle aged women sitting in front of us who were clearly on their 2nd or 3rd showing. So throughout the movie we would clearly hear, "Here it comes!" "Ooh Ooh, this parts good." I clearly remember wanting to beat them over the head with my bag of popcorn.
Old 06-19-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
Way to miss the point completely... For your comparison to work you'd have to imagine a strange science-fiction world where an audience of English-speaking Californian filmgoers are forced to watch a foreign film with Spanish subtitles because the Spanish minority makes it politically and economically impossible to watch films in your language and then three of these pesky Spanish-speaking overlords walk into your theatre to make fun of the film. Now you have a comparison.

Way to whatever....
Old 06-19-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=PopcornTreeCt First of all, the theatre was packed with assholes. [/QUOTE]

Old 06-19-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to see Batman Begins Friday afternoon. The viewing experience was fine except for one minor glitch. When Joe Chill pulls out his gun and points it at the Waynes, the movie stopped and the lights came back on. The movie eventually started up again about 5 minutes later. At least it didn't happen during anything important.

I joked with my buddy that maybe it was a serialized version of the film and we were supposed to return next week to see what happens.
Old 06-19-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

some movies like star wars and some comedys are fun when the theater is packed but theres lots of morons out there but overall i have a couple nice theaters and one thats a dump. but some movies you need to go see it in a theater

Last edited by maingon; 06-19-05 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-19-05, 04:07 PM

Saw Batman Begins on Friday and it couldn't have gone any better.
Old 06-19-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Too make things worse, the local high school cheerleading squad decided to sit directly behind us.
This is a BAD thing? You lucky bastard, you.
Old 06-19-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
A local highschool cheerleading squad was actually at a Star Wars movie? I find that hard to believe.

With all of the ads and for the most part crappy teasers they throw at you, I really don't see any reason to see movies in the theater, even if they are epics that can be remedied if you have a decent sized widescreen TV nowadays.
Old 06-19-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is a BAD thing? You lucky bastard, you.
Not if he didn't 'get any'.
Old 06-19-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have'nt seen the latest Star Wars yet(and could care less),nor have I seen Batman Begins yet.

My theater experiances have actually gone over pretty well. In fact I'd have to go back a couple years for the last annoying theatrical experiance(then further back to the Star Wars SE releases).

The last badly projected film I saw was House of 1000 Corpses where a good amount of the bottom of the screen was chopped off. The midnight showing was packed and it appeared the punks would start a fight(since some macho dickheads in the front row started shouting threats at other guys in the back row). Thankfully durring the film itself,the audience was mostly quiet and just wowed by the twistd nature of the film. There was a huge round of applause when the end credits hit,which made it a good experiance(besides the framing).

Note-I saw that at the Mall of American. It is a shitty shitty theater with terribly high prices and all around badly projected films. Avoid at all costs. I am never going back there again!!

I can't wait to see Rejects though,but will see this one at my so far fool proof multiplex where nothing has gone wrong so far,and the crowds have not been annoying(at my showings).

Star Wars SE was a terrible experiance since I could'nt see the screen. Since some fat lady with a huge afro head of hair was blocking my view. I tried looking over each shoulder,and she kept slouching from side to side blocking me. If that wasn't bad enough. We were packed into our seats by a swarm of sweaty unclean fans who camped out..and sliding passed them to get to the aisle for bathroom breaks was nearly impossible.

I didn't notice the really drastic terrible changes too the film until I saw this version on video and have hated the SE's ever since

Ep1 was a terrible film in every way possible and thus I have decided to never see Star Wars films in theaters again(we saw the SE's of Empire/Jedi durring matinees when no one was there). The theater was packed with the same scary fans as well,but they were pretty quiet. The film sucked royally and was still a painful experiance to sit through

I did laugh when seeing Kill Bill Vol 1,as some dumbass lady bolted from the theater once we got a look at Umas face durring the brief pre-credit sequence. She tore too the door in no time,as he little kids(under 5) stood near the aisle wondering "Huh? We just got here" and then left.

Recently I saw High Tension at midnight and about 15 people in total where there. Great audience,respectful and did react towards the violent moments in the film wonderfully.

This showing had the highest amount of commercials I ever suffered through though. It was at least 5 minutes worth(before it'd be a minute at most) and thus i could'nt keep quiet. I groaned everytime a new commercial came on as did a few others and we laughed "Oh another one,ughh.I'm not buying your product!". I did comment sometimes with "At least this commercials framed right(at 1:33:1..most are stretched)" and "See now this is a misprojected commercial(stretched)". When the previews finally came on I clapped and said "It's about time!",and the audience agreed.

Oh and durring the film I was quiet and respectful as always
Old 06-20-05, 12:29 AM

About a month ago I went to a showing of the Jet Li movie "Unleashed" and every time they started fighting this black right behind me would very loudly just yell "wooo" (sort of like Ric Flair).This would scare the hell out of me to be real into the movie and out of no where just yell.Also,the last five minutes three rows in front of me this guys children started crying but shut up in about a minute.

Great movie but bad experience.
Old 05-24-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

What drives you to complain to a theater manager?

I'm pretty lax about people in the theater, cell phones will ring, people will talk, candy wrappers will make noise. It may annoy me but every now and then I get caught too where I forget to turn off my cell, or a spill a box of Skittles all over the floor. I understand these problems and as long as it doesn't pop up again I won't complain.

What does get me to bitch out a manager is an improperly framed movie; I don't want any of the image off the screen. One of the theaters I frequent constantly has the movie hanging over a couple feet onto the adjoining wall. It has gotten to the point where they don't want to hear from me anymore, they know what I’m gonna complain about and pretty much just roll their eyes.

I also can't stand when they leave the lights on. I remember seeing Mulholland Dr. and it took me 3 separate trips out of the theater to get the lights dimmed.
Old 05-24-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Complaining About Theater Experience

and yet you continue to go back
Old 05-24-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
and yet you continue to go back
Yes, but mostly out of convenience and nostalgia. The theater is a mile from my job, I can sneak over after work. I've been going to this theater since it opened (Dances with Wolves was the first movie I saw there) and I used to work for them.
Old 05-24-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm like the OP. I don't get bothered too easily by talkers, a cell phone that rings by accident or texters. It just doesn't happen enough to annoy me. The worst offenders for me are talkers. If it gets annoying enough I'll drop a "shhh" followed by a "shut the fuck up" if they keep going.

But to complain to the manager it would have to be something I can't take care of myself. If the lighting isn't off or the picture is misframed I'll tell the manager. But it wouldn't really be complaining... more like "hey can you take care of this?"... If it ever got to the point where it was happening often I wouldn't complain, I just wouldn't go back.
Old 05-24-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
every now and then I get caught too where I forget to turn off my cell
Old 05-24-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ we are talking under 1% of my theater going exerience, but yes I'm sorry.
Old 05-24-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm like the OP. I don't get bothered too easily by talkers, a cell phone that rings by accident or texters. It just doesn't happen enough to annoy me. The worst offenders for me are talkers. If it gets annoying enough I'll drop a "shhh" followed by a "shut the fuck up" if they keep going.

But to complain to the manager it would have to be something I can't take care of myself. If the lighting isn't off or the picture is misframed I'll tell the manager. But it wouldn't really be complaining... more like "hey can you take care of this?"... If it ever got to the point where it was happening often I wouldn't complain, I just wouldn't go back.
Nobody cares about accidents. It's the folks who constantly check their phone or text throughout the whole movie that suck, which I would equate to talking throughout the movie. (I've been next to people who have taken several calls during a movie too.) When they can text or check without the light beaming then I won't care.
Old 05-24-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty lax until someone keeps moving or digging into the back of my chair to where I stand up and yell "what the fuck?" But the only thing I ever remember complaining to the staff about was if the theater was really hot. Nothing worse than a hot theater.
Old 05-24-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Nothing worse than a hot theater.
What about a hot theater that smells like vomit?
Old 05-24-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny enough, when i went to see Thor opening day, there was this helium filled balloon and ribbon that was floating right in front of the IMAX screen. The balloon actually wasn't that noticeable, but the ribbon was reflecting light and really distracting. Thankfully they stopped the previews and brought the house lights up and spent about five or ten minutes putting this long grabbling arm together which they were able to snag it with. We all cheered when they popped that sumbitch, haha...
Old 05-24-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Nobody cares about accidents. It's the folks who constantly check their phone or text throughout the whole movie that suck, which I would equate to talking throughout the movie. (I've been next to people who have taken several calls during a movie too.) When they can text or check without the light beaming then I won't care.
I've read enough of these threads to know that there are plenty of people that care about accidents.

And yeah I agree with you on this but for some reason this just doesn't happen to me when I go to the theater. I've heard phones ring but they were silenced almost right away. I've seen people whip out their phone to check a text but never seen someone just sit there and text for an extended period of time. But the talkers... they're always there. May not always get to the point where I'm annoyed by them... but they're there.
Old 05-24-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more annoyed by people chomping on popcorn and rattling candy packages than texting, but they both suck.
Old 05-24-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
What about a hot theater that smells like vomit?
Where are you watching movies man?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.