Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you can't believe you finished watching...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alvin & The Chipmunks - Seriously?
Old 05-09-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies you can't believe you finished watching...

I almost ALWAYS finish a movie, even Mega Pirahna. Couldn't get through Push though. Total garbage...
Old 05-09-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Push? The Chris Evans/Drunk Dakota Fanning movie?
Old 05-09-11, 03:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Only film I've ever chosen to not finish was Chris Rock's Down to Earth.
Old 05-09-11, 03:29 PM

Matrix Reloaded

I walked out of it at the theater but rented the dvd later on and finished it. Wished I hadn't. And because I hate myself I rented and watched all of the third one.
Old 05-09-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Old 05-09-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Super Troopers and Wing Commander

The only two movies I have ever walked out of.

And Wing Commander I only went to watch because a Star Wars trailer was attached to it.
Old 05-09-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The Shawshank Redemption
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut

(all watched on video--took several sessions each to finish them...but I did!)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-10-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 04:07 PM

Old Dogs
Transformers 2
The Lord of the Rings (1978) on two separate occasions
Old 05-09-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I Saw the Devil.

A good movie by all means but I felt the nihilism went too much. I understand the violence was necessary to portray both the villain's characteristics & the protagonist's vengeance. But it was like watching one brutal scene topping the previous one. Kind of knew where it was all going to end up by the middle of the film but, wow, did I feel so down even after my expectations.

I could probably compare this to another Korean film, The Chaser. Another dark and nihilistic movie but The Chaser's plot has a lot more sense of urgency & certainly kept me on the edge til the end.
Old 05-09-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think there are too many things more pretentious and arrogant than the "I can't spare another hour of my life watching this movie" mentality.

That's not to say there aren't valid reasons to stop watching a movie, I just think that the people who stroke their egos by walking out of a movie are generally douchebags.

Here's a little tip: nobody respects you or thinks you're cool when you start huffing and puffing your way out of the theater. They just think you're annoying.

Thousands upon thousands of hours of every human life are wasted AND on top of that YOU ALREADY PAID THE MONEY TO SEE THE MOVIE. Unless you're the ultimate whiny/annoying customer you aren't getting that money back so the joke is on you at that point.

So yeah, I've sat through plenty of bad movies and I find it altogether believable that I have.
Old 05-09-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I don't think there are too many things more pretentious and arrogant than the "I can't spare another hour of my life watching this movie" mentality.

That's not to say there aren't valid reasons to stop watching a movie, I just think that the people who stroke their egos by walking out of a movie are generally douchebags.

Here's a little tip: nobody respects you or thinks you're cool when you start huffing and puffing your way out of the theater. They just think you're annoying.

Thousands upon thousands of hours of every human life are wasted AND on top of that YOU ALREADY PAID THE MONEY TO SEE THE MOVIE. Unless you're the ultimate whiny/annoying customer you aren't getting that money back so the joke is on you at that point.

So yeah, I've sat through plenty of bad movies and I find it altogether believable that I have.
Holy Macaroni!

Do your masochistic tendencies extend to finishing off cartons of sour milk, too?

At any rate, I'd guess most people who walk out of movies aren't doing so in order to make others think they're cool, they probably do it because they don't like the movie, and know that they don't owe it to anybody to sit and finish something they don't like.

Ain't freedom of choice great?
Old 05-09-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

If I'm not enjoying what I'm doing (in this case, watching a movie), why should I continue (unless I'm being paid to do so)?
Old 05-09-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Oliver Stone's Alexander- I was about ready to walk out when I decided I would just enjoy it for the train wreck that it was, and boy did that make it better!

Moulin Rouge- Okay, let me say up front that I really like this movie and think it brilliant. However, when I first saw it in the theater the crazy nature of the first act was so in your face and assaulting on the senses that it made me think about leaving just to avoid getting a headache. Once the movie settled, it became quite good. I came to really love it with subsequent viewings, crazy start and all.
Old 05-09-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

10,000 BC
Disaster Movie
Shutter

seen them all in theaters and regreted not leaving.

Almost fell asleep during Sucker Punch but I made it through
Old 05-09-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Men in Black II

saw it in theatre, and the only movie I've ever even considered walking out on.
Old 05-09-11, 07:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
And Wing Commander I only went to watch because a Star Wars trailer was attached to it.
I went for the same reason and they didn't even show the damn trailer.

For me, The Unborn. I blind bought this for $2 at a pawn shop and felt ripped off. Gary Oldman was really slumming it in this one. If it wasn't for Odette Yusman looking hot in her underwear, I doubt would've gotten past the first 30 minutes.
Old 05-09-11, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Ultraviolet.

coincidentally both w/ Jovovich. I don't dislike Jovovich...but these were horrid.
Old 05-09-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Go pound sand with that attitude. If the movie blows, I'm outta there. My time is entirely too valuable to waste it on garbage. If you got that much free time in your life, vaya con pollo my friend.
Old 05-09-11, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go w/ chicken? what?

anyway...yeah...I wish I had the nerve to leave but I was w/ my friends and we had to finish RE:A and Ultraviolet...just to see how horrid it was. It was unbelievably bad. Worst things I've seen in theater.
Old 05-09-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Go pound sand with that attitude. If the movie blows, I'm outta there. My time is entirely too valuable to waste it on garbage. If you got that much free time in your life, vaya con pollo my friend.
I agree with you. I have seen movies I disliked where I would GLADLY let them keep the money if I could just get the time I spent watching it back to go do something else. I also disagree with him about people leaving being douchebags. If they just get up and leave, I have no problem with it. If they feel the need to shout something like "This sucks!!!" as they leave, then I do, because they are then intruding on our viewing.

I would be lying if I said I didn't mentally pass judgment on people I see leaving based on their appearance. When I saw the first LOTR opening night two sets of couples left. One was a man wearing a John Deere cap with an overweight wife following him, and the other was a young yuppie looking couple . What made me think negatively was not that they were leaving, but that I could tell they were most likely doing such because they weren't even going to try to like the movie and probably looked down upon those who did.
Old 05-09-11, 09:11 PM

Oh, I forgot one: that live action Dragonball movie.

I rented it with some friends out of boredom.......terrible.
Old 05-09-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

You Don't Mess With the Zohan. My wife and I were commenting to each other about how terrible it was after 30 minutes or so. We soldiered on and made it through.
Old 05-09-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The Brothers Grimm (Terry Gilliam)
Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)

Those movies were the closest I've ever been to walking out of the theater but in both cases I ended up staying til the end.
Old 05-10-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
My time is entirely too valuable to waste it on garbage.
No it's not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.