DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/589690-name-few-lesser-known-movies-you-love-big-name-director.html)

terrible chong 04-20-11 01:59 AM

Re: Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director.

Originally Posted by TheySentYou (Post 10733609)
Coen Brothers - Barton Fink

Love the movie, but wouldn't call it a "lesser known" one for the Coens.
They swept Cannes with it in 1991 and it was nominated for three Oscars.

TheySentYou 04-21-11 01:19 AM

Re: Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director.

true... but up against all other Coen Bros films, it's somehow the least likely to come up in conversation aside from Hudsucker Proxy i'd say.

hasslein 04-21-11 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 10727658)
It's got quite a cult following. An amazing work with an equally compelling production history.

I'll add to that Friedkin's Rampage, The Brink's Job, The Boys in the Band and of course...Cruising.

I loved Rampage, but I haven't seen it since in was in theaters.

Fromundacheese 04-21-11 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by terrible chong (Post 10733615)

Its pretty lesser known to me anyhow. Being a huge Coen brothers fan (We are Minnesotans, I was born there and I grew up there.) Anyhow, I have heard of it once maybe and I have never seen it so Barton Fink goes on my 'must see' list. Thanks for mentioning it TheySentYou! Totally OT but any Minnesotan that sees Fargo knows that a Minnesotan had to be involved in making that movie because they got the Minnesota stuff (accents, etc.) 100% DEAD ON. :)

Fromundacheese 04-21-11 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheySentYou (Post 10735375)
true... but up against all other Coen Bros films, it's somehow the least likely to come up in conversation aside from Hudsucker Proxy i'd say.

Another I have not seen... is Hudsucker Proxy a good one?
I am gonna have to go look but I am pretty sure Barton Fink and Hudsucker are
pretty much the only Coen brothers films I have never seen. Well True Grit is another but I have that pre-ordered on BD already...John Wayne's True Grit is my very favorite John Wayne movie.

RoboDad 04-21-11 05:17 PM

The Hudsucker Proxy was one I was going to list. I love that movie. "You know, for kids!"

The other one I would list is David Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner. One of my favorite movies ever.

terrible chong 04-21-11 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad (Post 10736419)
The Hudsucker Proxy was one I was going to list. I love that movie. "You know, for kids!"

"Sure, sure."

I know some critics say it's not one of the Coen's best films, but I love it too. The dialogue just crackles, the performances are wonderfully over-the-top, the visuals and set design are marvelously evocative. The 1950s as a surreal landscape.

dugan 04-24-11 08:04 AM

Wes Craven - The Serpent and the Rainbow

One of the best horror movies I've ever seen.

Osiris3657 04-24-11 11:53 AM

Hard Eight by Paul Thomas Anderson
Falling Down by Joel Schumacher

Fromundacheese 04-24-11 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by terrible chong (Post 10733615)

After reading about Barton Fink here in this thread I bought it on dvd and just finished watching it. So was the whole movie just Barton's imagination or what? I guess I just didn't get it. And the bird dropping dead into the ocean? I am lost. lol!

Fromundacheese 04-25-11 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fromundacheese (Post 10740529)
After reading about Barton Fink here in this thread I bought it on dvd and just finished watching it. So was the whole movie just Barton's imagination or what? I guess I just didn't get it. And the bird dropping dead into the ocean? I am lost. lol!

Anyone? I know I can go Google it up and will do so if I don't get an answer this time. thanks :)

inri222 10-31-13 11:59 AM

Roman Polanski's Death and the Maiden

Mattflix 10-31-13 01:03 PM

Coen Bros - Miller's Crossing. Something a little different if you like Gangster movies

Alfred Hitchcock - The Lady Vanishes

Akira Kurosawa - Ikiru

Terry Gilliam - The Fisher King

TheySentYou 11-01-13 12:54 PM

Ikiru's my favorite Kurasawa. Fisher King's wonderful, too!

EddieMoney 11-01-13 01:02 PM

I'm sure these have been mentioned, but I'll throw them out there"

Scorsese - King of Comedy, Bringing Out the Dead

Why So Blu? 11-01-13 01:06 PM

Talk Radio - Oliver Stone

Ash Ketchum 11-01-13 03:07 PM

Damn, I can't believe I didn't post to this thread when it originally ran.

John Ford - JUDGE PRIEST (1934), period comedy with Will Rogers and Stepin Fetchit

Akira Kurosawa - NO REGRETS FOR OUR YOUTH (1946) with Setsuko Hara

Frank Capra - FLIGHT (1929), RAIN OR SHINE (1930), FORBIDDEN (1932), LADY FOR A DAY (1933)

Time Warrior 11-01-13 05:38 PM

Lots of great choices in this thread - really pushes my love for film even more.

Billy Wilder - Five Graves to Cairo - Mentioned by another poster and it is sad this does not get a mention from most people when his later dull films get all the acclaim. The opening scene alone is a masterpiece.

Alfred Hitchcock - Number 17 - Virtually unheard of yet unquestionably his best film. All of Hitch's early British films urinate from a great height on his American period.

Frank Capra - The Bitter Tea of General Yen - See it then thank me.

Lewis Milestone - The General Died at Dawn.

Terence Fisher - To the Public Danger

William Wellman - Wild Boys of the Road

Astrofan 11-01-13 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mattflix (Post 11890897)
Alfred Hitchcock - The Lady Vanishes

Yes, that's certainly lesser known. -rolleyes-

Astrofan 11-01-13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Time Warrior (Post 11892699)
Alfred Hitchcock - Number 17 - Virtually unheard of yet unquestionably his best film.

:jawdrop: Bottom 5.