Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Warrior- Tom Hardy MMA fighter drama

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Warrior- Tom Hardy MMA fighter drama

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Warrior- Tom Hardy MMA fighter drama

Conan really seemed to bulk up for this role. Does he play guitar in the movie too?
Old 12-25-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just finished watching this. Loved it. Probably one of my favorites of the year.
Old 12-25-11, 12:25 PM
Banned

NOt a bad movie. Seemed a little sanitized though. Coulda been a little harder edged.
Really like the use of the two National songs used in the beginning and ending of this film though.
Old 12-25-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Ya know....I really don't know how I feel about this flick yet...think I need to watch it again - for now, it came off as forced and a bit cheesy in a few key areas. The pacing was all over the place as well. Gonna have to give it another view.

With that said though.....Hardy is a fucking great actor - what a great job.
Old 12-25-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This flick was cheesy as fuck but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.

Maybe it's cause I have a man-crush on Hardy.
Old 09-27-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Just watched this on Netflix streaming. I fucking loved it. Regardless of the fact that the trailer spoiled 98% of the film and the DVD cover art spoiled the remaining 2%, I was still on the edge of my seat throughout the fights! The marketing for this is truly unforgivable.

The filmmakers did a great job of giving us two people to root for rather than just one. Both brothers had something worthwhile that they were fighting for and with the exception of a plot development late in the movie, I was truly rooting for both brothers to some degree.

The acting was fantastic throughout and Nick Nolte gives an Oscar worthy performance. Hell, the movie's worth seeing just for his performance alone!

Wonderful soundtrack as well.

Highly recommended.
Old 09-27-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the ending with a live version of The National's "About Today" is one of the best uses of a song in film.
Old 09-27-12, 11:37 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy. I just literally finished this movie about five minutes ago on Netflix, log on here, and this thread of all threads is on the first page. Very entertaining flick, even though I hate MMA with a passion (hardcore boxing fan). Nolte was awesome, and Hardy did a great job as usual. About as believable as Rocky was, I suppose. Three out of four stars in my book.
Old 10-06-16, 01:41 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Nothing official at all...but O'Connor seems to want to make a sequel.

Gavin O’Connor’s “The Accountant” is in theaters this week, but it isn’t the only movie the director has found himself discussing lately. O’Connor was asked about the possibility of a sequel to his MMA drama “Warrior” in an interview with Screen Rant, and his response might inspire hope among fans of the film starring Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton: “We’ve had some talks about that. Me and the actors.”

O’Connor seems to have a soft spot for “Warrior,” saying that “more than any movie I’ve ever made, I have a weird…there’s an amazing following of rabid fans, more than anything I’ve ever done. And I’d say that’s probably my most personal movie. So I’m really grateful and, y’know, maybe we’ll do another one!”

“Warrior” received forable reviews but only modest box-office returns when it was released five years ago, and Nick Nolte received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. “The Accountant,” which follows this year’s delayed release of “Jane Got a Gun,” is in theaters Friday.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/war...on-1201734067/
Old 10-06-16, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it went cheap at the end. Should have been the younger brother to win and let his older brother have what he needed to patch up their relations and his personal life.

I liked it well enough till it went too generic for me. Granted.. it skipped generic tropes across either way but it didn't feel so heavy till the end.
Old 10-07-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I think it went cheap at the end. Should have been the younger brother to win and let his older brother have what he needed to patch up their relations and his personal life.
That's actually a cool view at things - I agree.
Old 10-07-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

A sequel is a terrible idea. What are they going to do, put on costumes and fight crime together? I hope it doesn't happen. Just wait another 5 years and do a remake. Maybe this time with an all-female cast.