Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hunger Games (2012) Ross, Lawrence

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hunger Games (2012) Ross, Lawrence

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 958 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Hunger Games (2012) Ross, Lawrence

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'll probably end up renting it simply because I don't want to sit in a movie theater with a bunch a Twilight loving teens playing with their cell phones throughout the whole movie.
I can't vouch for Twilight theater going experiences, but any kids that have the patience and perseverance to read actual novels, probably have the will power to put down the phone for two hours.
Old 03-16-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I can't vouch for Twilight theater going experiences, but any kids that have the patience and perseverance to read actual novels, probably have the will power to put down the phone for two hours.
I hate the Twilight comparisons, because the novels are so well-written. Compare it to Harry Potter if you must - at least JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins are on par with each other as writers. Stephanie Meyer isn't in their league.

And yeah, I went overboard with my 100 times more violent comment...but I was trying to make a point that this isn't a "kiddie" book. Much like the Harry Potter novels, the only reason Hunger Games is in the young adult section is because its protagonist is a young adult. Then again, many of you probably think "Ender's Game" is a kid's book too.
Old 03-16-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,470 Likes on 2,215 Posts

I hope you're right but you have more faith in our nation's youth than I do.
Old 03-17-12, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hate the Twilight comparisons, because the novels are so well-written. Compare it to Harry Potter if you must - at least JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins are on par with each other as writers. Stephanie Meyer isn't in their league.

And yeah, I went overboard with my 100 times more violent comment...but I was trying to make a point that this isn't a "kiddie" book. Much like the Harry Potter novels, the only reason Hunger Games is in the young adult section is because its protagonist is a young adult. Then again, many of you probably think "Ender's Game" is a kid's book too.
Suzanne Collins is not on par with JK Rowling as a writer. Hell, forgetting the fact that she makes multiple basic grammatical errors (and has multiple diction and syntax errors) in her novels, I recall most (if not all) Hunger Games readers being disappointed as the novels go on, while few readers had major problems with the ending of the Potter series.

Also, Ender's Game is a children's novel. I've never actually seen anyone try to argue that one before. I read it when I was a teen. Why are you so adamantly arguing that children's novels are for adults, and that books that shy away from depicting graphic violence are some of the most violent stories ever told?

These stories were written for and marketed towards children. They are works for adolescents. To see someone actually try to seriously argue to the contrary is laughable, and very strange.

Have you ever actually read a book for an adult? I'm beginning to wonder if you understand the differences.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 03-17-12 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-17-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Suzanne Collins is not on par with JK Rowling as a writer. Hell, forgetting the fact that she makes multiple basic grammatical errors (and has multiple diction and syntax errors) in her novels, I recall most (if not all) Hunger Games readers being disappointed as the novels go on, while few readers had major problems with the ending of the Potter series.

Also, Ender's Game is a children's novel. I've never actually seen anyone try to argue that one before. I read it when I was a teen. Why are you so adamantly arguing that children's novels are for adults, and that books that shy away from depicting graphic violence are some of the most violent stories ever told?

These stories were written for and marketed towards children. They are works for adolescents. To see someone actually try to seriously argue to the contrary is laughable, and very strange.

Have you ever actually read a book for an adult? I'm beginning to wonder if you understand the differences.
My local B&N has Ender's Game in the sci-fi section, so I guess they're confused. I will not argue the books weren't written for teens, but let's be honest, the Twilight books were as well and I know A LOT of adults (women mostly) who have read them. In short, just because it might be written for teens doesn't mean adults can't partake and enjoy. And FWIW, I have read the first Hunger Games book and am currently reading the third book of a Song of Ice and Fire, which is VERY adult.
Old 03-17-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't feed the troll Dr. DVD. He just enjoys being rude and condescending.
Old 03-17-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

100 Fresh 14/14 reviews including Variety and Hollywood Reporter
Old 03-17-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 265 Posts

First of all, the grammatical errors just mean that JK has better editors than Suzanne does - it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their writing ability. Most good/great writers are horrible with grammar; and most grammar "nazis" are horrible writers/storytellers.

Also, I don't know how old you are, but Ender's Game was NEVER (originally at least) marketed as a kids' (or even "young adult") book upon its release in the mid-80s. It's only recently it's been given that distinction. In fact, here's an exact quote from Orson Scott's Card prologue to "Ender's Shadow" that should settle it for you once and for all:

For many years, I have gratefully watched as Ender's Game has grown in popularity, especially among school-age readers. Though it was never intended as a young-adult novel, it has been embraced by many in that age group and by many teachers who find ways to use the book in their classrooms.
Unless, of course, you don't think AUTHORS should decide who their "audience" is.
Old 03-17-12, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Most good/great writers are horrible with grammar; and most grammar "nazis" are horrible writers/storytellers.
It's nice to use vagaries like that, isn't it? No need to use proof to back up your argument. I very much doubt that you'll find a Booker Prize winner with grammar as atrocious as Ms. Collins'.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I will not argue the books weren't written for teens, but let's be honest, the Twilight books were as well and I know A LOT of adults (women mostly) who have read them. In short, just because it might be written for teens doesn't mean adults can't partake and enjoy.
Thanks for adding a point that had absolutely nothing to do with my argument in an attempt to appear contradictory. At no point in my original post did I say or imply that adults cannot read children books. What I take issue with is an adult stating that a children's book (One published by "Scholastic", of all publishers) is specifically FOR adults, rather than children. Or that it is anywhere near as violent as a story written for an actual adult would be.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 03-17-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,144 Posts

I actually had to attend a Twilight screening of Eclipse for work and believe me, those kids are there to see the movie.
Old 03-17-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's nice to use vagaries like that, isn't it? No need to use proof to back up your argument. I very much doubt that you'll find a Booker Prize winner with grammar as atrocious as Ms. Collins'.

Thanks for adding a point that had absolutely nothing to do with my argument in an attempt to appear contradictory. At no point in my original post did I say or imply that adults cannot read children books. What I take issue with is an adult stating that a children's book (One published by "Scholastic", of all publishers) is specifically FOR adults, rather than children. Or that it is anywhere near as violent as a story written for an actual adult would be.
I was going to put you on my ignore list, but then I saw you disclaimer and I admire that a lot. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone's got one.
Old 03-18-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, Steven Soderbergh apparently did some 2nd unit stuff on this movie, possibly the action scenes. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ry-ross-230419
Old 03-20-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am guessing that you never worked as the editor of a publication (whether book or journal). If you had, you would understand that even highly intelligent, captivating and award-winning authors can and do suck at grammar.

The Hunger Games are definately more violent than standard tween fare. And there is quite a bit of graphic violence in the novels as well. Enough that getting a PG-13 rating for the movie was likely difficult.

It sounds to me that you have some aversion to tween fare in general. You are entitled to your opinion. I, however, believe that some of the best pure storytelling is coming out of that genre right now. More so than adult fiction, which has become unnecessarily complicated and dense over the last 10 years [please note that I do not mind dense, as long as there is purpose to such density to the story (for good adult fiction of the last 10-20 years featuring dense text, check out authors like Umberto Eco)].

Finally, you should use caution in the expression of your opinions. While everyone has and should have an opinion, making intentionally condescending comments about other posters (i.e. "Have you ever actually read a book for an adult? I'm beginning to wonder if you understand the differences.") is frowned upon here.
Old 03-20-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by wlmowery
I am guessing that you never worked as the editor of a publication (whether book or journal). If you had, you would understand that even highly intelligent, captivating and award-winning authors can and do suck at grammar.

The Hunger Games are definately more violent than standard tween fare. And there is quite a bit of graphic violence in the novels as well. Enough that getting a PG-13 rating for the movie was likely difficult.
Old 03-20-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I am not editing here. I am posting in a non-professional manner. And besides, it's not a face palm, but proof of point. Even editors and highly educated individuals can and do suck at spelling, grammar and typing. When I write professionally, I review and edit. I lack the desire to spend the time to do so when posting on an internet forum.

PS: I would have caught this on spell-check, but I cannot install the DVD-Talk spell-check app on the computer being used to respond.
Old 03-20-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not editing here. I am posting in a non-professional manner. And besides, it's not a face palm, but proof of point. Even editors and highly educated individuals can and do suck at spelling, grammar and typing.

PS: I would have caught this on spell-check, but I cannot install the DVD-Talk spell-check app on the computer being used to respond.
Just poking fun, it's a spelling error, not a grammar error, but I still found it amusing. And yes, I do agree that it's a proof of point, but there isn't a cute smiley face that goes with that.
Old 03-20-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,117 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I actually had to attend a Twilight screening of Eclipse for work and believe me, those kids are there to see Taylor Lautner with his shirt off.
Fixed
Old 03-20-12, 02:56 PM
Banned

I'm actually a copy-editor, so try again.

And LOL at The Hunger Games violence argument being dragged out yet again.
Old 03-20-12, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...this is just basically The Running Man with a few tweaks ?
Old 03-20-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,349 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
So...this is just basically The Running Man with a few tweaks ?
Actually it's Bambi with a whole lot of tweaks.

Old 03-20-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Battle Royale with white kids?
Old 03-20-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Soundtrack has already shot to #1 on iTunes.
Old 03-20-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually a copy-editor, so try again.
So am I. You should know that "copy editor" isn't hyphenated.
Old 03-20-12, 08:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Battle Royale with white kids?
but I don't think any scene from Hunger Games will match the exploding throat or lighthouse scene from Battle Royale
Old 03-20-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
So am I. You should know that "copy editor" isn't hyphenated.
He never said he was a good copy editor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.