Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are zombies so popular nowadays?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why are zombies so popular nowadays?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Why are zombies so popular nowadays?

Originally Posted by Trout
But if done right, death by zombie can be the goriest thing ever put on screen.

Spoiler:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e-N5skk6uwk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Sorry, but gore does nothing for me. I've been watching horror movies since I was a little kid and, as a result, have been completely desensitized to gore. (IMO the only good death in that clip was the one from Day of the Dead)
Old 01-29-11, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
But if done right, death by zombie can be the goriest thing ever put on screen.

Spoiler:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e-N5skk6uwk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
that's actually a shitty compilation of clips...pretty boring actually...the Romero one being the one that's well done in it. Still hate that flick except for the effects in it.

Originally Posted by big e
Sorry, but gore does nothing for me. I've been watching horror movies since I was a little kid and, as a result, have been completely desensitized to gore. (IMO the only good death in that clip was the one from Day of the Dead)
agreed. Watching Robocop at 3....pretty much desensitized from being disturbed by stylized gore.

Anyway...if you think about it. Anything is actually boring at it's core. Woman running from aliens...pretty fucking boring right? Sure. Then you got a character like Ripley...not boring. Guy killing pretty girls to get it off? Sounds generic? Well how about a guy using his car to kill girls to get it off? Pretty cool (I know I'm going to get some shit for saying that...)

It's all how you do it. The idea of the visual of just a zombie is pretty boring. When, what, where, and how the zombies are is the most interesting thing about them. How people react to them in those situations, how a very basic survival mentality takes over everything else at times. It's not just the zombie. It's what done to revolve a story around the zombie that's interesting. That...and....they're fucking awesome cannon fodder. I mean seriously...you kill a bunch of these things...and you feel better.
Old 01-29-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally, I love the genre because it combines post apocalyptic and horror, some degree of action and there's compelling drama inherently built in. Almost a foolproof genre.
Old 01-29-11, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Finisher
Personally, I love the genre because it combines post apocalyptic and horror, some degree of action and there's compelling drama inherently built in. Almost a foolproof genre.
Really? It's more hit and miss than anything. The good thing about it is that the ones that are good are never forgotten..the bad ones..you hope to forget...
Old 01-29-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
It's also the reason for an even more infuriating trend- taking classic novels that are now in the public domain, inserting the word "zombie" or "vampire slayer" on the cover and selling it as your own. Another venue for failed novelists to grab some cash before having to settle for a career bagging groceries.
So true.

I don't get the fascination with zombies. Really don't see the "coolness" with seeing them get blown up or something. Now I actually liked The Walking Dead but because that was more of a post-apocalyptic drama.

Zombies aren't vampires there aren't a million different stories to tell... it's just one story.
Old 01-29-11, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So true.

I don't get the fascination with zombies. Really don't see the "coolness" with seeing them get blown up or something. Now I actually liked The Walking Dead but because that was more of a post-apocalyptic drama.

Zombies aren't vampires there aren't a million different stories to tell... it's just one story.
....yeah...but again..it's how you tell the story that's cool about it. Sadly.....there aren't many cool Zombie movies in comparison to shitty zombie movies...
Old 01-29-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Just one story? There's not even just one kind of Zombie.
Old 01-29-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Just one story? There's not even just one kind of Zombie.
How many are there.
I can think of 2.
The ones that walk at a snails pace with their arms straight out and the ones that run like they're the Flash.

All of them, hit them in the head with a bat or shoot them in the head anf they're finished.

zzzzzzzzz

I loved the first part of Shaun of the Dead. Made fun of zombies and pointed out the reason they're a bore. then the rest of the movie became a typical zombie movie.
Old 01-30-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I think Roger Ebert put it best when he said that zombies aren't interesting but the characters and how they adapt to a zombie infested world are.
Old 01-30-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to recall a zombie movie about two guys who kept this zombie gal around so they could continue to have sex with her (I didn't see it, just the IMDB). It sounded neat... and its a story I didn't see covered before.
Old 01-30-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because since the whole Twilight saga "ruined" vampires for many people, they of course flocked to the next best thing.
Old 01-30-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony

All of them, hit them in the head with a bat or shoot them in the head anf they're finished.

zzzzzzzzz
guess you never saw return of the living dead
Old 01-30-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
that's actually a shitty compilation of clips...pretty boring actually...the Romero one being the one that's well done in it. Still hate that flick except for the effects in it.
I love Day of the Dead but that part always bothered me a bit. I wouldn't call it exactly well done- it looks pretty odd and kind of unrealistic how his legs look when they're dragged away. The part where the soldier's head is ripped off and his vocal cords are pulled is far more disturbing IMO.

and yeah if you look at it with a 2011 viewpoint where everybody's so desensitized I guess it's not shocking but back then I would think otherwise.
Old 01-30-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think Roger Ebert put it best when he said that zombies aren't interesting but the characters and how they adapt to a zombie infested world are.
Yeah, zombies are a perfect metaphor for what most people think of their fellow man anyway, it can all be taken as another way of getting through society alive. Dawn of the Dead (the original) and Dead Set (which, imo, is what the Dawn of the Dead remake should have been) dealt with it pretty well.
Old 01-30-11, 02:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I seem to recall a zombie movie about two guys who kept this zombie gal around so they could continue to have sex with her (I didn't see it, just the IMDB). It sounded neat... and its a story I didn't see covered before.
i remember reading about this film, it's called Deadgirl btw...and it has a very interesting premise that the trailer really doesn't give you. Anyone see it...how was it? Here's the trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kbBkc7yKq10" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-30-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
So gore is not your thing. Fine, there's nothing wrong with that but that's the only way to enjoy zombies - a love for gore.
I'm desensitized too, but that doesn't mean I don't love me some great gore.

There's a difference between being desensitized and not liking it.
Old 01-30-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Finisher
Bravo. Exactly. My favorite genre.
Old 01-30-11, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, zombies are a perfect metaphor for what most people think of their fellow man anyway, it can all be taken as another way of getting through society alive.

I think it goes a little beyond that as well though in that most zombies in the movies come from some sort of infection that is passed from person to person and in a world of HIV, SARS, H1N1 and talk of other pandemics, it is a reflection of that. Just like during the 80s in the height of the cold war when the post nuclear apocalypse movies were popular.
Old 01-30-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

<-- has not seen a zombie movie
Old 01-30-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i remember reading about this film, it's called Deadgirl btw...and it has a very interesting premise that the trailer really doesn't give you. Anyone see it...how was it? Here's the trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kbBkc7yKq10" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
I saw it. It was pretty good. Don't expect a full blown apocalypse as a finale, though. Having said that, this is actually a pretty good origin/patient zero story.
Old 01-30-11, 12:10 PM
Banned

well I didn't expect to go full zombie but after reading the synopsis..it's a much more focused and specific premise. Which....isn't really a zombie thing...or makes it such a film as....at least based on the premise...
Old 01-30-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Because since the whole Twilight saga "ruined" vampires for many people, they of course flocked to the next best thing.
The reignited interest in Zombie movies started about seven years before the first Twilight movie was released, but thanks for your dismissive attitude.
Old 01-30-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

well I didn't expect to go full zombie...

"Never go full zombie."
Old 01-30-11, 01:24 PM
Banned

nice....
Old 01-30-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Are zombies really that popular? Sure, there's the Walking Dead on TV, but what was the last zombie movie that made it into the box office top 10?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.