Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse Screen Printed Movie Posters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Obey The D and I thought it might be helpful to branch off from the film posters discussion thread here (new thread here) where collectors of studio one sheets might be getting a little tired of our worship of Mondo prints.

For those that don't know what they are this article should introduce it fairly well.

C. Robert Cargill, Jan 12, 2011
The movie poster, as we've long known it, is dead. It has been for quite some time. Sure, the studio marketing departments keep chucking out their grotesque monstrosities, often blitzing movie blogs and news websites with the images in hopes of drumming up interest in their upcoming films -- but those aren't really posters anymore; they're images. You can still find them, lingering behind dingy plastic windows at the multiplex or chopped up and pasted onto turnstile triangles that flip to reveal a different poster every thirty seconds, but those are just shadows of what posters used to be. They used to be glorious. Evocative. Intriguing. When you looked at one -- a good one -- it told you everything you needed to know about a movie in order to convince you to see it.

Now? Now posters tell you who is in the film, usually with nothing more than the actor's big head with their last name emblazoned over the top. There is very little artistry anymore. The studios hire marketing guys, not artists. And the result is a 27" x 40" commercial, not a piece of art.

Enter Mondo, subsidiary business of the legendary Alamo Drafthouse. Beginning as a pet project that sold specialty t-shirts out of an incredibly small storefront built into the hallway of the original Alamo Drafthouse on (4th and Colorado here in Austin, Texas), Mondo found a new niche when the Drafthouse wanted to print its own specialty posters for events. Immediately the local demand for these specialty posters was at a fever pitch; getting one became part of the fun of attending an event or festival. But the stroke of genius came when filmmakers began to commission posters for their special Drafthouse events -- and a cottage industry grew.

The idea behind Mondo posters was to find classic geek properties and new geek favorites and produce interesting, artistic posters for those films. Mondo would acquire the rights to produce a limited amount, task one of their incredibly talented artists to go at it, and then sell the posters in extremely limited quantities -- making them collector's items. And all was well and good, with most posters selling out within hours of availability. Then everything changed. Setting the bar a bit higher, Mondo sought out permission to do a run of Star Trek and Star Wars prints, commemorating different episodes, films, and characters -- each told through the lens of a different artist. This got the attention of almost every geek blog out there and just weeks ago a run of three posters, selling at $50 a piece, sold out in seconds, before their availability was even announced. People were so interested in the posters that buyers and speculators hit the site, reloading the page every few seconds all morning, hoping to score them. Several posters went up on eBay within minutes, with bids reaching into four digits for the set. The rapid sellout caused a furor in the community, with people ranting for hours online about missing out on the posters.

Needless to say, Mondo has come a long way since their early days in that hallway. Already, a number of geek walls are loaded with posters for films and events produced in quantities often hovering around only 150. Here's my own office wall (click on image for a larger look), sporting an early Mondo poster commemorating the first Transformers Experience (Michael Bay's Transformers preceded by a robot dinosaur eating cars in the parking lot), one for the Star Trek episode "Space Seed" (the episode that leads into Wrath of Khan), and Pixar artist Eric Tan's interpretation of the classic actioner The Warriors.

Not to be outdone, my buddy and fellow film critic Brian Salisbury has over a dozen Mondos hanging on his walls. Below is his shrine to artist Tyler Stout and his versions of Inglorious Basterds, Edgar Wright's television series Spaced, and '80s classic The Monster Squad.

Geeks love to represent their love of their favorite films in tangible ways. Mondo finally offers them a way to display art rather than just a commercial. Expect to hear an awful lot more about them as word continues to spread and their wares become harder to find.
If you are looking to buy older screen printed posters you can find some at these online retailers. Unfortunately, also on eBay obviously. Some don't pop up often there.

http://insidetherockposter.highwire.com/

http://jojosposters.com/index.php?ma...ort=20a&page=1

http://postercabaret.com/search.aspx...amo+drafthouse

As far as Non Mondo/Drafthouse movie prints . . .

there is Nakatomi's line which is also out of Austin. They have some movie screen prints at times. Tim Doyle used to run Mondo just FYI. He says he will have two film posters coming out very soon.

http://store.nakatomiinc.com/Collection.aspx

The Castro theater in S.F. has a line of prints including a wonderful Evil Dead that is amazingly still available as I write this.

http://aliencorset.blogspot.com/

Cinema Overdrive/Colony Theater is located in Raleigh, N.C.

http://www.cinemaoverdrive.net/merch/

Astor Theater in Melbourne has a line of posters through Tommy Good

http://www.tommygood.com/

For framing RobLutter recommends reading this article on selecting a frame and protecting your poster. I have ordered a 30x40 frame from Hollywood Poster Frames and am waiting to see how it turns out.

He has also reminded me if you are local to Austin, Balcones has a deal with Mondo for 20% off your framing of any Mondo print.

So commence discussion! I didn't buy the Dracula print this week, but looking forward to what comes next week!

EDIT 01/05/12:

This thread has grown by leaps and bounds in the past year. Mondo is getting a bigger following than ever. And now here is a link to some very forthcoming interviews with Justin Ishmael the creative director of Mondo. It's worth your time to watch them all if you are a fan of their output.

http://collider.com/justin-ishmael-m...erview/135370/

Last edited by MBoyd; 01-05-12 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse Screen Printed Movie Posters

Glad my wife likes the Dracula print I got from Mondo today. Since she likes it it'll go up on my wall in my half bath when it arrives, unlike most of my prints that sit stored flat inside a cardboard box.

Once we move and get a bigger place we have a mutual understanding that it needs to have a basement so I can have a man-cave to hang all of my stuff in.
Old 01-12-11, 07:55 PM

Dracula was my first purchase, as I loved the print!
I went for the black/white one, as I didn't like the colour of the variant.
Old 01-12-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, cool thread. Look forward to seeing more of these.
Old 01-12-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Black
Dracula was my first purchase, as I loved the print!
I went for the black/white one, as I didn't like the colour of the variant.
I liked the Sephia look of the variant, but I thought the B&W print worked better for this one. I can't wait to see what it looks like in person. The captures they put up online usually don't do many of the Mondo posters any justice.
Old 01-12-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those that didn't look in the other thread, here's The Dracula print:
Old 01-12-11, 08:36 PM

Updated first post:

If you are looking to buy older screen printed posters you can find some at these online retailers. Unfortunately, also on eBay obviously. Some don't pop up often there.

http://insidetherockposter.highwire.com/

http://postercabaret.com/search.aspx...amo+drafthouse

and there is Nakatomi's line which is also out of Austin. They have some movie screen prints at times. Tim Doyle used to run Mondo just FYI. He says he will have two film posters coming out very soon.

http://store.nakatomiinc.com/Collection.aspx

For framing RobLutter recommends Hollywood Poster Frames and this article on selecting a frame and protecting your poster.
Old 01-12-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want to open this up to some other theaters that do screen prints for older movies, the Castro in San Fran has some pretty nice stuff as well.
Old 01-12-11, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
If you want to open this up to some other theaters that do screen prints for older movies, the Castro in San Fran has some pretty nice stuff as well.
Those are all on the aliencorset blog?

Old 01-12-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MBoyd

As far as I know yes. O'Daniel does some really nice work IMO. If that Evil Dead poster was released on Mondo's site it probably would have been sold out in ten minutes.
Old 01-12-11, 09:42 PM

Here's a cool one coming from Cinema Overdrive. I think this is the best poster they have done yet. Laurie Shipley is the artist and it looks like there will be a run of 50.
Old 01-12-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Here's a cool one coming from Cinema Overdrive. I think this is the best poster they have done yet. Laurie Shipley is the artist and it looks like there will be a run of 50.
A bit too off-spec for me, maybe if Rhy Cooper had done it.
Old 01-13-11, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gawd i wish i would've known about that Dracula poster sooner!!! i have a collection of about 10 different Aaron Horkey posters. this one is phenomenal!

i'm going to drive up to the Mondotees store today before i go into work and see if they just happen to have any copies sold in the store. living in Austin is great! i scored the Metropolis print when the Alamo Drafthouse screened it here last September.
Old 01-13-11, 01:10 PM

anyone know where i could maybe find Florian Bertimer's 'The Holy Mountain' poster he did??? i think Mondotees sold it for a bit, but sold out quick.
Old 01-13-11, 01:23 PM

Haven't seen that one, but I wouldn't expect Mondo to have any Draculas in the store until next week at the earliest. They hadn't even received the Stout Star Wars sets on Tuesday. They are probably too busy with shipping those to even start on Dracula.

In fact, on Tuesday I got a True Grit just by chance. That's been out for a month now?
Old 01-13-11, 02:15 PM

fantastic! part of me wants the True Grit poster because i liked the remake and i like collecting Aaron Horkey posters, but it really might be one of my least favorite pieces he's done. it suits the film, but it didn't spark any urge to spend money on it. that's really cool that you snagged a copy though!
Old 01-13-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Diary of a Lost Girl poster from last year is just gorgeous. I'm looking forward to framing the three Monroe posters I ordered.
Old 01-14-11, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
gawd i wish i would've known about that Dracula poster sooner!!! i have a collection of about 10 different Aaron Horkey posters. this one is phenomenal!

i'm going to drive up to the Mondotees store today before i go into work and see if they just happen to have any copies sold in the store. living in Austin is great! i scored the Metropolis print when the Alamo Drafthouse screened it here last September.
I spoke too soon! Draculas are shipping before the Stouts! You probably should head over there and see what they have. Saw the info over on expresso beans.
Old 01-15-11, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spoke too soon! Draculas are shipping before the Stouts! You probably should head over there and see what they have. Saw the info over on expresso beans.
Why are they tormenting us like this?
Old 01-16-11, 12:46 AM

SNAP! i'll be there tomorrow. thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these easier to get in-person? They seem impossible online with all of the ebay scalpers.
Old 01-16-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone getting any of the Gallery 1988 videogame prints? I like "From Russia With Love" but not at $50, at $30 I probably would have got it.
Old 01-16-11, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Are these easier to get in-person? They seem impossible online with all of the ebay scalpers.
It depends on a few factors: is there an in-store release, if they have any left after shipping orders out, are there slightly damaged returns, the randomness of the day you visit, etc. In fact when I scored the Horkey True Grit @ $60 (cost) they offered me one that had a piece missing off the snake for $50. I passed. But some of the damaged items I have seen there weren't bad at all.

But yeah best bet is online. DVDTalk member RobLutter has had some luck I guess with scoring in store.

EDIT - Just looked at the Gallery 1988 site and the test print I received in my Nakatomi tube is from this piece. interesting.

Last edited by MBoyd; 01-16-11 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-16-11, 10:30 PM
Banned

You could order over the phone at one point. That is how I got the Phantom of the Opera print. I don't think that one ever made it to the website.
Old 01-17-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. I've never seen myself mentioned so many times in a thread I haven't even posted in.

I work right around the corner downtown from Mondo... I'll be swinging by to look in the almighty red boxes tomorrow as I haven't checked by in a while. I'll let y'all know what's there. BTW, if you're in the store... just go right for the red box... you're allowed to look through it (the best stuff is usually hidden in there between prints).

I still LOL when people look at my Iron Man 2 Stout Variant in the living room and say "You must really love Iron Man 2!" I just go "Uh, it was alright. The poster is epic though" Don't even own it on Blu-ray.

I recommended Hollywood Framing? I think you have me credited wrong. I buy cheap 27x40 frames and gussy them up by adding custom matting from eBay (highly suggested for best value). If you are in Austin, Balcones Frame gives 20% off custom framing if you bring in a Mondo print. No shit. Deal they worked out with Justin.

Speaking of phone ordering... I did that when the Halloween/NoES posters came out about 2 years ago. I was in another state and it was in-store only at first. They held them for me till I got back to Austin. Not sure if they still do that.

Last edited by RobLutter; 01-17-11 at 06:51 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.