Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pete Postlethwaite dead

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pete Postlethwaite dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pete Postlethwaite dead

Shit that sucks. I was just thinking that it was great seeing him in so much lately. I always liked him since the Sharpe films with Sean Bean. I gotta see that movie where he was nominated
Old 01-03-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
fabulous actor... off that I always 1st associate him with Alien3 tho.
There is nothing wrong with that ... as long as you watch the re-edited version (reconstructed from Fincher's notes) ...

I just watched Inception two nights ago and thought "Damn ... that was Pete Postlethwaite ... but why?" I wondered if something had been cut out. Ironic last role ...

RIP
Old 01-03-11, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
There is nothing wrong with that ... as long as you watch the re-edited version (reconstructed from Fincher's notes) ...

Where the hell did you get this? I think you're thinking of Orson Welle's Touch of Evil, lol.

Last edited by SkinJob; 01-03-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I first saw him on the London stage--fantastic performer. Not till later did I see him in The Usual Suspects and make the connection.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKx3MUqzCcQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKx3MUqzCcQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 01-04-11, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

That sucks this is how we start 2011.

Just watched the Town and that sucked he died. I wanted to see him in more movies and he seemed like a classy guy.
Old 01-04-11, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also saw him in The Town recently. Great actor and he'll surely be missed. Rest in peace Pete.
Old 01-04-11, 05:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First noticed him as evil Sgt. Hakeswill in the Sharpe's series. His appearance wasn't anything like I'd pictured from reading the books, but Postlethwaite's performance was extraordinary. Since then, have looked forward to seeing him.

One of his oddest films is Rat (2000). Although he plays the title character (husband & father who turns into a rat), he doesn't have too much on-screen time (as a human).

Mr. Postletwaite carried on the long-standing tradition of great character actors who lend their depth to stage & film performances & ground the production in reality. He (and others like him...Timothy Spall comes to mind) was so versatile and memorable (perhaps largely due to his distinctive physical presence)...giving the production an emotional foundation that the leading actors could build upon. Leading men come and go, but the Postletwaites build a quiet career of strong supporting performances.

Evidently he was also a very socially-conscious guy. I don't agree with all of his positions on various issues, but at least he wasn't a hypocrite & practiced what he preached. He also sounded like a down-to-earth guy who was appreciated as a good neighbor who didn't shunned undue attention that was based solely upon his celebrity status as a film actor.
Old 01-05-11, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelowry
Also saw him in The Town recently.
Had the best scene in that movie imo.
Old 01-12-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

just found out he passed away, he would be missed
Old 01-12-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very tragic. I just watched him in The Town last night. While he looked quite gaunt in the film, I still think he turned in a terrific performance for his character.
Old 01-13-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Tremendous actor. First noticed him in The Usual Suspects, but after that he kept popping up in a lot of movies. Always turned in memorable performances.
Old 01-17-11, 11:31 AM

I had the good fortune to see him on stage several times. He was remarkable in person and, unlike many stage actors, managed to transfer to the big screen. Fortunately, we can continue to enjoy his movie performances while regretting there will be no more.
Old 01-17-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I first saw him on the London stage--fantastic performer. Not till later did I see him in The Usual Suspects and make the connection.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKx3MUqzCcQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKx3MUqzCcQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Which reminds me of this lovely musical scene:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6F5vBsY9VZ8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6F5vBsY9VZ8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That's still my favorite version of "Danny Boy." Not a great movie but I'll always love that scene.