Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (12/10-12/12): Voyage of the Yawn Treader

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Deadline Hollywood:

1. Chronicles Of Narnia/Voyage Of Dawn Treader 3D (Walden/Fox) NEW [3,555 Theaters]
Friday $8.2M, Estimated Weekend $28M

Spoiler:
Fox management will be glad to see 2010 end. A weekend opening of $40 million for Narnia 3 would have been a home run for the studio restarting this fantasy franchise. Instead, Fox has only the low end of what it wanted: high $20sM which is low for a kid's film in 3D. But "the real story of this movie’s performance may well be the multiple off its opening and not the opening itself," a Fox exec emailed me. "Word of mouth about a great family film will serve us well as we move into the holidays." Narnia 3's budget of under $150 million, even with Walden still the co-financier, means this pic's grosses better pick up -- and quickly. (Still, that budget is nearly $100M below the second film. Plus Narnia 3 was shot in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK because of tax and currency conversion reasons.)

Fox really pulled out all the stops, including a London Royal Premiere in London with the Queen herself. The studio dated this PG threequel the same opening time frame as the first blockbuster film, and Fox took great pains to reestablish ties with the faith-based communities who made the first film such a hit and were ignored by the 2nd film, which was released in summer and promoted with a lot of battle imagery. To that end, Fox hired Christian PR consultancy Grace Hill Media to reach out to churches, religious radio, faith-based websites, and so on. "The biggest hurdle was how to resurrect the franchise after the second film left the perception of a failed franchise," a Fox insider tells me. The Walden franchise had been at Disney, then moved to Fox because of a relationship dating back some years: Elizabeth Gabler at Fox 2000 originally wanted the series and pitched Walden on it before it went to Disney. When it became available again, Fox Filmed Entertainment co-chairmen Tom Rothman and Jim Gianopulos felt the franchise had a lot of life left in it, and Narnia just needed to be re-configured and re-launched.

2. The Tourist (GK Films/Sony) NEW [2,756 Theaters]
Friday $6.1M, Estimated Weekend $18.5M

Spoiler:
When Angelina says to Johnny in the trailer, "I'm sorry I got you involved in this", we now know what she meant... Who knew? Not the distributor Sony Pictures which saw a fun sexy PG-13 thriller starring what’s surely the world’s hottest pairing right now and decided it was a big commercial pic that was going to play great during the crowded holiday season. Oops! But The Tourist really struggled on tracking all the way up until Thursday when it saw a jump. "But I think that jump may be more a function of marketing support rather than genuine interest," a rival studio exec told me. Then again this GK Film in association with Spyglass Entertainment is produced by Graham King and directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck who, so the production notes claim, presented his vision of The Tourist to King who took all of 30 minutes to decide to finance and produce the film. During its shoot, The Tourist paralyzed Venice and those parts of Italy where it was filming. (At one point, production was shut down because too many fans showed up trying to get pics.) The Tourist's savior may well be international. European distributor Studio Canal planned the biggest ever release across Europe because it’s a remake of its own 2005 film, Anthony Zimmer.

English screenwriter Julian Fellowes wrote the original screenplay while American screenwriters Christopher McQuarrie (Valkyrie) and Jeffrey Nachmanoff (Traitor) did the rewrites about an American tourist drawn into a web of intrigue by a female Interpol agent. The production history of this movie was as convoluted as any thriller. Donnersmarck had previously dropped out of directing The Tourist. At that point Sam Worthington was going to play opposite Jolie. And Worthington only came on board after Tom Cruise dropped out. Cruise was originally going to star opposite Charlize Theron as the Interpol agent. Marketing was aimed at women, so the TV spots were bought during the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, Barbara Walters/Oprah interview, etc. Talent participated in a worldwide press junket in Paris and the cast and director are currently on a European tour.

3. Tangled 3D (Disney) Week 3 [3,565 Theaters]
Friday $3.4M, Estimated Weekend $14.5M, Cume $115.5M

4. Harry Potter/Deathly Hallows, Pt 1 (Warner Bros) Week 4 [3,577 Theaters]
Friday $2.4M, Estimated Weekend $8.5M, Cume $257.7M

5. Unstoppable (Fox) Week 5 [2,967 Theaters]
Friday $1.1M, Estimated Weekend $3.8M, Cume $74.2M

6. Burlesque (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 3
Friday $1M, Estimated Weekend $3.2M, Estimated Cume $32.7M

7. Love And Other Drugs (Fox) Week 3
Friday $1M, Estimated Weekend $3M, Estimated Cume $27.6M

8. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 2 [90 Theaters]
Friday $987K, Estimated Weekend $3M, Estimated Cume $5.3M

9. Due Date (Warner Bros) Week 6
Friday $860K, Estimated Weekend $2.5M, Estimated Cume $94.8M

10. Megamind 3D (DreamWorks Animation/Paramount) Week 7
Friday $565K, Estimated Weekend $3M, Estimated Cume $140.8M

Black Swan breaks into the Top 10.
Old 12-11-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (12/10-12/12): Voyage of the Yawn Treader

Anyone care to explain why/how Tangled cost $260m to make? And wouldn't that mean if it doesn't make $160m it'd be the all time biggest flop (domestically)?

I mean, I kind of get why these CG features cost so much (churning them out as quickly as they do being the main one, along with celeb voices) but $200m for Toy Story 3 (which did break $1b worldwide) and $260m for Tangled seems kind of ridiculous.
Old 12-11-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that figure on BOM before. That has to be a mistake.

Deadline also reports that The Fighter took in $90,000 at 4 theaters. If I had the opportunity, I would pay money to see The Fighter AND Black Swan. I HATE limited releases.

Nice title. Yawn describes the appeal of that series. I remember when the first one came out and SNL did that Chronic (what!) cles of Narnia rap video.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 12-11-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought they got the budgets for Tangled and Harry Potter mixed up myself (HP doesn't have one listed) but I've seen the $260m budget mentioned on other sites. Unreal.

The Narnia series had potential but they really took the adventure out of them, turning them into terrible bores.
Old 12-11-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This L.A. Times article also mentions the $260 mil figure and said it includes 6 years of development. Sounds exactly like Superman Returns.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov...led-20101121/3
Old 12-11-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a terrible year Fox has had. Their biggest money maker of the year (globally) was Knight & Day with around $263m.
Old 12-11-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to the thread title
Old 12-11-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought they got the budgets for Tangled and Harry Potter mixed up myself (HP doesn't have one listed) but I've seen the $260m budget mentioned on other sites. Unreal.
I wonder if that is for just HP7 part 1 or was that the budget for the whole story (part 1 & 2) that is being released as 2 movies. They filmed it as one big movie.
Old 12-11-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the $260m is for Tangled, I haven't seen HP7a's budget anywhere yet.
Old 12-11-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

That number for Narnia seems awfully low compared with the other two previous films. First one opened to 65.5 million. Second film opened to 55 million.
Old 12-11-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, even if you could tell the budget was much lower. Sorry to see it go out like this, but still very, very glad that we got a third film out of it. It seemed a more appropriate ending to this movie series than Caspian.

Wonder if Fockers or Tron will really break out this month. Seems a meh holiday season, the mall was nearly empty today when I went to see Dawn Treader.
Old 12-11-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
That number for Narnia seems awfully low compared with the other two previous films. First one opened to 65.5 million. Second film opened to 55 million.
The magic of Di$ney
Old 12-11-10, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
What a terrible year Fox has had. Their biggest money maker of the year (globally) was Knight & Day with around $263m.
Hopefully it will lead to the end of Rothman.
Old 12-12-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the first two Narnia movies. The first was the better one but the second was pretty good. I want to see the third even though the reviews haven't been very favorable.
Old 12-12-10, 08:46 AM
Banned

I wanted to see Narnia, but Fox getting the franchise ruined all interest I had. I wish Disney had continued with it.
Old 12-12-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone
I really enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, even if you could tell the budget was much lower. Sorry to see it go out like this, but still very, very glad that we got a third film out of it. It seemed a more appropriate ending to this movie series than Caspian.

Wonder if Fockers or Tron will really break out this month. Seems a meh holiday season, the mall was nearly empty today when I went to see Dawn Treader.
I think Fockers will have a strong opening, but with it being part 3 of the series and happening 6 years after the 2nd one, I wonder how interested people will be to see it.

I think True Grit is going to do very well when it opens. The Fighter should be strong also when it opens wide next weekend.

Gulliver's Travels is another one that could open big or bomb.
Old 12-12-10, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think Fockers will have a strong opening, but with it being part 3 of the series and happening 6 years after the 2nd one, I wonder how interested people will be to see it.

I think True Grit is going to do very well when it opens. The Fighter should be strong also when it opens wide next weekend.

Gulliver's Travels is another one that could open big or bomb.
Well Tron is the wild card of them all. From the early tracking, it's sounding like $35 million might be the high-end for it's opening. (It's skewing even more male slanted than Snakes on a Plane demographic wise...)

Little Fockers should do well because of it's built in audience, and it's should cross over to families.

True Grit will be a typical western, which should be OK for a Coen brothers' film. Outside of No Country for Old Men, their films have been marginal at the box office. Although maybe the Oscar buzz will help it.

Oscar buzz will be the only reason The Fighter does any box office. It'll play in the big cities, but the middle of the country probably will not care.

Gulliver's Travel is praying it will hit the Alvin demos... But I don't think it will.

fitprod
Old 12-12-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I wanted to see Narnia, but Fox getting the franchise ruined all interest I had. I wish Disney had continued with it.
I'm not sure that really should make any difference. As far as I know, Walden Media creates the actual movie. Disney and Fox are just the ones who co-finance it. Plus, Disney is the company that effed up and released Caspian in the summer time, then dumped it when it did below their huge expectations. Just sayin'.
Old 12-12-10, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I loathe all things related to Narnia but this statement makes no sense. These companies are just putting up some cash to get the thing made. It's not like the source material changed.
Old 12-12-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fox is the only reason there even is a third film in theatres right now.
Old 12-12-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gulliver's Travels looks God-awful. And Jack Black needs to go away already. I hope it makes 0.0 dollars.
Old 12-12-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll say this. I went to see Harry Potter on Friday night and the theater parking lot was EMPTY, something I've actually never seen there on a Friday/Saturday night. Doesn't surprise me that Narnia had a low opening.
Old 12-12-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw Tangled 3D last night with my 10 and 12 year old daughters...great film!
Old 12-12-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Why do people keep putting Angelina Jolie in movies? She is obviously not a box office draw, they always tank. She's the new Nicole Kidman.
Old 12-12-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Why do people keep putting Angelina Jolie in movies? She is obviously not a box office draw, they always tank. She's the new Nicole Kidman.
She's had 3 films in the last 5 years that brought in over 100m at the boxoffice. That's not too shabby... and it's certainly not what I would consider tanking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.