Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick explains the ending of 2001

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kubrick explains the ending of 2001

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 04:16 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Kubrick explains the ending of 2001

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The novel 2001 ends with the Starchild arriving at Earth, and (I think) destroys the orbiting nuclear weapon seen at the beginning and removes the clouds from the sky. The novel tells us that he is now master of the Earth, and doesn't know what he will do next, but like the ape at the beginning of the story, he would think of something. The film 2001 doesn't go that far...
Sucks that the film didn't go that one step further because the ending didn't make a whole lot of sense to a whole lot of people. If they'd gone that extra 1/2 mile in the movie, it could've been a great movie to a great many more peope. You shouldn't have to read the book to make sense of the movie. -kd5-
Old 11-29-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ And a true work of art doesn't explain itself to you.

Kubrick's own words, from a Playboy interview:

KUBRICK: It's not a message that I ever intend to convey in words. 2001 is a nonverbal experience; out of two hours and 19 minutes of film, there are only a little less than 40 minutes of dialog. I tried to create a visual experience, one that bypasses verbalized pigeonholing and directly penetrates the subconscious with an emotional and philosophic content. To convolute McLuhan, in 2001 the message is the medium. I intended the film to be an intensely subjective experience that reaches the viewer at an inner level of consciousness, just as music does; to "explain" a Beethoven symphony would be to emasculate it by erecting an artificial barrier between conception and appreciation. You're free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film -- and such speculation is one indication that it has succeeded in gripping the audience at a deep level -- but I don't want to spell out a verbal road map for 2001 that every viewer will feel obligated to pursue or else fear he's missed the point. I think that if 2001 succeeds at all, it is in reaching a wide spectrum of people who would not often give a thought to man's destiny, his role in the cosmos and his relationship to higher forms of life. But even in the case of someone who is highly intelligent, certain ideas found in 2001 would, if presented as abstractions, fall rather lifelessly and be automatically assigned to pat intellectual categories; experienced in a moving visual and emotional context,
however, they can resonate within the deepest fibers of one's being.
http://www.krusch.com/kubrick/Q12.html
Old 11-29-10, 07:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
^ And a true work of art doesn't explain itself to you.

Kubrick's own words, from a Playboy interview:

http://www.krusch.com/kubrick/Q12.html
Playboy has interviews?!
Old 11-30-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Playboy has interviews?!
That's about all Playboy has going for it these days ...
Old 11-30-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, someone discovered the Internet.