Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Old 11-25-10, 02:46 AM
  #1  
En vacance
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

ok deer feeders, this is the Matrix of the 80s. And believe it or not but the badguy's chainmail, leather chaps and freddy mercury complexion were honest to goodness badass back then before the stupid homo neorevisionism of our present day.

This movie has a life lesson that you find your truest of helpers from the unlikliest of sources, like when the innocent flight lady thought she'd go on her day as usual but ended up as a Support/Logistics woman during the Battle of Val Verde. General Franklin Kirby seems like someone who was a legend in his early years. A pretty good movie and good soundtrack too.

Last edited by FRwL; 11-25-10 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 03:53 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E. Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A sweaty sauna somewhere in Japan
Posts: 1,732
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation



Some people check their closets for the Boogeyman before they go to sleep. Before he goes to sleep, Arnold Schwarzenegger checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
Old 11-25-10, 04:01 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,443
Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Is it too soon to derail this thread into another "who do we want in The Expendables 2" debate?
Old 11-25-10, 07:30 AM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

NEVER, motherfucker. NEVER. I've got a load worth blowing for the release of The Expendables 2. Get Arnold, Danny Trejo, and Dwayne Johnson in there. in there. I'd love to see Donnie Yen also...
Old 11-25-10, 08:49 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
MrSmearkase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ayer, MA
Posts: 5,259
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

No Commando appreciation thread is complete without...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-25-10, 11:17 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,873
Likes: 0
Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!"
Old 11-25-10, 12:32 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
No Commando appreciation thread is complete without...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I've never seen that before....Comedy Gold!

--John
Old 11-25-10, 01:19 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,626
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Love Commando. I recently picked up the Director's Cut DVD -- good stuff
Old 11-25-10, 02:16 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,443
Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
No Commando appreciation thread is complete without...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Great song. Sadly, it proves how the Taken-wannabe remake will never be anywhere near as good as this movie. It's just so deliriously over-the-top that a grounded in reality approach could never work.

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Badass? No... it wasn't.



Are they re-remaking Street Fighter already?

EDIT: For those that don't know how awesome this movie is.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/teSmRfAtDOU?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/teSmRfAtDOU?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-25-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 06:16 PM
  #10  
En vacance
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
No Commando appreciation thread is complete without...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FFQ_g8OoQM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
He looks like he's beginning to turn into the Hulk on that freeze frame.
Old 11-25-10, 06:21 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,011
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

I like the Power Station song at the end.
Old 11-27-10, 07:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,086
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

I'm constantly torn between either this or Rambo II being the most unintentionally homoerotic film of 1985. I think Vernon Wells give this the edge.
Old 11-27-10, 07:54 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,443
Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I'm constantly torn between either this or Rambo II being the most unintentionally homoerotic film of 1985. I think Vernon Wells give this the edge.
In that category, nothing beats Rocky III:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYN_eVhzsNA?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NYN_eVhzsNA?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

Yes, it was from '82 but everything else pales in comparison.
Old 11-27-10, 08:40 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Hey, no bad mouthing Commando! I loved that film as a kid. It's very quotable. "Come on, Bennett, throw away that chicken-shit gun. You don't just want to pull a trigger. Put the knife in me and look me in the eye and see what's going on in there when you turn it." I learned how to make good machine gun sounds when playing G.I.Joe and how to die when playing soldier with friends and family. You know the scenes where an enemy soldier takes like six rounds to the chest jerking back and forth before he drops. I used to mimic that when playing. I've seen this movie so many times. I had a thing for Alyssa too. I remember the entire film in my head. But I haven't seen it in over a decade. Oooh, the NES Commando game. Played it all of the time.

Commando is a classic! I need to get this DVD Director's Cut I heard about. I guess I just keep forgetting to look for this film. Thanks to these threads complaining about old Arnie flicks you people made I think I'll have to pick up Commando, Raw Deal, The Running Man, Total Recall, Red Heat, and others just for old times sake. Used to watch all of those over and over again as a child since we had them all on VHS.
Old 11-27-10, 09:04 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,086
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Ah, the Rocky III training montage... so inspirational, so latently homosexual. Truly, a wonder to behold.
Old 11-27-10, 09:20 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII View Post
Hey, no bad mouthing Commando! I loved that film as a kid. It's very quotable. "Come on, Bennett, throw away that chicken-shit gun. You don't just want to pull a trigger. Put the knife in me and look me in the eye and see what's going on in there when you turn it." I learned how to make good machine gun sounds when playing G.I.Joe and how to die when playing soldier with friends and family. You know the scenes where an enemy soldier takes like six rounds to the chest jerking back and forth before he drops. I used to mimic that when playing. I've seen this movie so many times. I had a thing for Alyssa too. I remember the entire film in my head. But I haven't seen it in over a decade. Oooh, the NES Commando game. Played it all of the time.

Commando is a classic! I need to get this DVD Director's Cut I heard about. I guess I just keep forgetting to look for this film. Thanks to these threads complaining about old Arnie flicks you people made I think I'll have to pick up Commando, Raw Deal, The Running Man, Total Recall, Red Heat, and others just for old times sake. Used to watch all of those over and over again as a child since we had them all on VHS.
...alright. You're scaring me now. Please put it back in your pants. And walk away while I run away this way *points to opposite direction*
Old 11-27-10, 09:32 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,443
Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Ah, the Rocky III training montage... so inspirational, so latently homosexual. Truly, a wonder to behold.
I know. It's almost a work of art. Almost...

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
...alright. You're scaring me now. Please put it back in your pants. And walk away while I run away this way *points to opposite direction*
Snake telling someone to calm down about their raging manlove for a movie? Is it opposite day or something?
Old 11-27-10, 09:42 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

This isn't The Expendables thread. It doesn't count outside of that place.
Old 11-28-10, 12:15 PM
  #19  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Expendables was fun, but...

Commando > .........................Expendables
Old 11-28-10, 03:15 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,443
Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Expendables was fun, but...

Commando > .........................Expendables
+1

Hopefully Stallone takes notes from this film and calls up someone like Shane Black (if he can't get the man himself) to write the script to The Expendables 2.
Old 11-28-10, 04:51 PM
  #21  
FuQ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Most homoerotic of the 80's? You clearly haven't seen Top Gun or Road House. The volleyball scene in Top Gun is gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys. Road House is made up entirely of shirtless, oiled up men punching each other.

Fun Fact: Gayest movie of the 00's: Fast and the Furious 2. Tyrese is pissed the entire movie that he Paul Walker's "character" wants to hang out with this super hot FBI agent. He literally gets pouts every time he leaves. They also get in each others faces so much it looks like they are going to kiss at the end of every scene.
Old 11-28-10, 08:37 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
And believe it or not but the badguy's chainmail, leather chaps and freddy mercury complexion were honest to goodness badass back then before the stupid homo neorevisionism of our present day.
Oh hell no. I was a senior in high school when Commando came out, and all of my friends and I snickered at Bennett's obvious gay leather-daddy persona.
Old 11-29-10, 12:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,315
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Gay or not, I remember hitting rewind dozens of times when it showed that topless lady. Kids today have it so easy. lol
Old 11-29-10, 01:59 PM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Every Commando fan should check out the IMDb forum for the movie. There's some very funny folks over there.
Old 12-09-10, 04:49 AM
  #25  
En vacance
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I can BEAT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Commando appreciation

Yeah that place is home of 'the Unit'.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.