Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2010 Oscar buzz/predictions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Couldn't find another thread on this yet here. But 'tis the season and I'm starting to see other online articles talking about the Oscars and early predictions. With 10 Best Picture slots now, I think everyone agrees "Inception" and "The Social Network" are sure locks for a nomination. I predict "True Grit", "Toy Story 3", "The King's Speech" and maybe "127 Hours" could nab a nomination too. Would love to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" get one, but I doubt it will. I'd be happy if Noomi Rapace got a Best Actress nomination. I'd also like to see Tilda Swinton get a nod for "I Am Love".

For Best Actor, I thought Jesse Eisenberg turned in a fantastic performance in "Network". Robert Duvall will probably get a nomination for "Get Low" and Colin Firth for "The King's Speech".

For Supporting Actor nomination, there's no way Andrew Garfield won't get one. I would love for Armie Hammer to get one too for playing the Winklevoss twins. I really really hope Timberlake doesn't get one. I mean, come on. The guy was serviceable. But no where in the same league as the other performances. If he doesn't qualify or make it for a Best Actor nomination, I'd like to see Mark Ruffalo get a nomination in either category for "The Kids Are All Right". Bening and Moore will also most likely get nominations. Although I'm surprised to hear people mentioning Moore for Supporting. She was in it more than Bening. And definitely had a more pivotal role. Need to think about the Best Supporting Actress category a little more.

For Director, most likely Fincher, the Coen Brothers, Nolan and Eastwood.

There, is that better for you Solid Snake?

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-13-10 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-13-10, 10:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 2010 Oscar buzz/predictions

Eisenberg sounds nothing like the real Zuckerberg - I thought his performance was the weakest link in an other wise excellent movie. We might see Natalie Portman performance in 'Black Swan' get Academy recognition.

I have high hopes that Sylvain Chomet's 'The Illusionist' will get a nom for Animated Feature.
Old 10-13-10, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wtf..make a few paragraphs or something.
Old 10-13-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Old 10-13-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Oh, I'm so sorry. I know I wrote a book here.
Old 10-13-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would Casey Affleck getting an acting nod for The Killer Inside Me be a longshot?
Old 10-13-10, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I know is that Nolan needs a nom and a win.
Old 10-13-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 'The Social Network' will get some noms, but I doubt anything in the Acting category.

Best Picture Noms-
Inception
The Social Network
The Town
The Kings Speech
Somewhere
True Grit
Shutter Island
Hereafter
Biutiful
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

Possible best pic noms-
Never Let Me Go
Black Swan
Get Low
Stone
Conviction
Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows
The Fighter
Old 10-13-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully The Social Network picks up a lot. Definitely best film, adapted screenplay, director, editing, cinematography, sound, score and perhaps an acting category.

Fincher over Nolan for me this year.

I think Colin Firth is a mortal lock for The King's Speech.
Old 10-13-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foofighters7

Best Picture Noms-

Shutter Island
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
I don't think either picture will be nominated for best film. We'll see.
Old 10-13-10, 11:13 PM

The Academy loves to honor 'Big Names'.

10 noms now, people will throw them in there for the hell of it.

I have a feeling if they do keep one out, probably will be Shutter Island, since Scorsese won recently, but who knows.
Old 10-13-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I don't think either picture will be nominated for best film. We'll see.
Of the two ("Shutter Island" and "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger"), the former stands the only chance. "Stranger" has mixed reviews right down the middle. I think Allen is pretty much done at this point.

Foofighters, I drew a quick blank writing my post. Where was my head? Absolutely "The Town" will get a Best Picture nomination. As will "Somewhere". And people are buzzing "Black Swan" will too.
Old 10-13-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foofighters7
The Academy loves to honor 'Big Names'.

10 noms now, people will throw them in there for the hell of it.

I have a feeling if they do keep one out, probably will be Shutter Island, since Scorsese won recently, but who knows.
Yeah I realize all that, but those two films are two of the worst reviewed films of Scorsese's and Allen's respective careers.

Then again with the 10 nominations for best film anything is possible I suppose.
Old 10-13-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yeah I realize all that, but those two films are two of the worst reviewed films of Scorsese's and Allen's respective careers.
Re: Scorsese, I didn't realize that. I just went over to RT to look again. For some reason, I thought it got better than a 67%. Even with 10 Best Picture slots, it would take some heavy campaigning to get a nomination I'm guessing. Mainly since the movie was release in the winter of 2010. And most voters will need a reminder.
Old 10-13-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Would Casey Affleck getting an acting nod for The Killer Inside Me be a longshot?
Yes. IFC released it and they're utterly pathetic when it comes to award campaigns. Either they don't care, which is fine, or can't afford to competitively promote.
Old 10-14-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

The only movie released so far I would bet money on getting a BP nomination is SECRETARIAT.
Old 10-14-10, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no one thinks 127 Hours has a shot at some nominations? I see it as a lock for a Best Actor nomination for James Franco if nothing else, but if the film turns out to be as good as I think it will be, I wouldn't be surprised to see it be nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Cinematography as well.

The Social Network will be nominated for Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor (Jesse Eisenberg), and Best Supporting Actor (Andrew Garfield). Although I won't lock it down for a nomination just yet, I would even go so far and say that Jeff Cronenweth's cinematography has a chance at being nominated as well.

Inception will get nominations for Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Sound, Sound Effects Editing and Visual Effects for certain, and possibly Best Original Score too (although I don't want to lock that one just yet).

Not sure about everything else at the moment but we'll wait and see.
Old 10-14-10, 03:21 AM

From what I've read or heard around the net or in print these are the 5 films right now that are locks for Best Picture noms-
The Social Network
The King's Speech
Inception
Toy Story 3
127 Hours

The five other films that I think have a chance-
Black Swan- Portman is getting a lot of buzz for best actress and there is a lot of critic's behind the film getting a nom.
True Grit- Unseen yet, could be the late surprise come December.
Secretariat- It's being called this years Blind Side.
How Do You Know?- Unseen also, only if James L. Brooks pulls something off in the vain of As Good As It Gets with this film.
The Fighter- Maybe, looks like it could be the type of underdog overcomes film that pulls at heartstrings.

Talked about but I don't think has a chance-
Shutter Island- Had it been released in October maybe
Hereafter- Not hearing good things about this. Hearing that a lot of people are wondering why Eastwood made at all. If it gets a nom, it's just going to be because it's an Eastwood film.
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger- Getting bad reviews.
Never Let Me Go- Getting mixed reviews, seems like Fox isn't even going to expand it's release.
Let Me In- Has some critics love, but it didn't make the money that District 9 did.
Old 10-14-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Black Swan and Portman are probably locks, along with Aronofsky. He has never been nominated before and is long overdue. It's still sickening knowing that Stephen Daldry, the definition of bland directing, has 3 nominations, and Nolan and Aronofsky have combined for 0. That'll change this year.

Unlike the last couple of years, this year looks like we could have a great mix of films and directors in contention. It's actually somewhat exciting again.
Old 10-14-10, 07:26 AM

Portman is all but the lock so far for best actress. Annette Bening is being talked about for The Kids Are All Right, and some are saying that they may just give her the nom and maybe the award because it will be her third time up, and more so for the body of work than this film. As far as actor, it seems standing right now that Colin Firth stands as the lock for King's Speech, unless Jesse Eisenberg starts to gain some heat. I'm wondering after seeing the film if both Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake are both going to be up for supporting actor for Network.
Anyone want to start to list some of their dark horses for noms? I'd like to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt get a nom for best supporting actor for Inception. I felt he was better in it than Leo after seeing it a second time, and it's really him doing the stunt work during the hallway scene, but I know it's not going to happen.
Old 10-14-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope John Hawkes gets nominated for Best Supporting Actor in Winter's Bone
Old 10-14-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
The only movie released so far I would bet money on getting a BP nomination is SECRETARIAT.
Way to early in the fall movie season to make any predictions on what will be nominated; IMHO that is...
Old 10-14-10, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by inri222

I hope John Hawkes gets nominated for Best Supporting Actor in Winter's Bone
Certainly!

Still my Best Picture of the Year.
Old 10-14-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez....we're doing 10 Best Pic noms again. I would have bet that idea would be overturned by now.
Old 10-14-10, 11:04 AM

It's a money grab IMO.

Being able to say a film was nominated for 'Best Picture of the Year', means more money.

5 was fine, 5 is fine, 10 is superfluous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.