Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blue Valentine (Cianfrance, 2010) w/ Gosling & M. Williams

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blue Valentine (Cianfrance, 2010) w/ Gosling & M. Williams

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blue Valentine w/ Gosling & M. Williams Rated NC-17!?!

Revolutionary Road with more sex.
Old 01-21-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Blue Valentine expands to 242 theaters today.
Old 01-24-11, 03:23 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Oscar nominations come out early this week.

I think Michelle Williams will definitely get a nod, but what do people think regarding Ryan Gosling's chances.

In my opinion, he is one of our best young actors.
Old 01-24-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper

I think Michelle Williams will definitely get a nod, but what do people think regarding Ryan Gosling's chances.

both should get nominations.

I agree about Gosling - I can't wait to see what he does next.
Old 01-24-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper

Minimal chances for Gosling. The Weinsteins are releasing this and The King's Speech and they won't want to ruin Colin Firth's chances.
Old 01-24-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

There's no way it will interfere with Colin Firth's chances. That man has the category on lock down.

Gosling will probably score a nomination, but definitely won't win.

I actually expect it to be quite close to the Golden Globes nominations for Actor/Dramatic:

Colin Firth - The King's Speech
Jesse Eisenberg -The Social Network
James Franco - 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling - Blue Valentine

The fifth nomination was for Mark Wahlberg for The Fighter who I think will get passed over for somebody like Javier Bardem or Jeff Bridges (if he was nominated in leading role).
Old 01-24-11, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Best Actor nominations will be Firth, Jesse Eisenberg, James Franco, Jeff Bridges and Robert Duvall.

The Weinsteins know how to play. These are the guys who pushed Kate Winslet for Best Actress for The Reader, knowing the momentum would seal it for her, as well as leaving Best Supporting Actress open for Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
Old 01-24-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Duvall? So you expect it to mirror the SAG awards completely. Understandable I suppose but something seems off about that.

Guess we'll see tomorrow.
Old 01-24-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know right? Exciting times!
Old 01-29-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Blue Valentine (Cianfrance, 2010) w/ Gosling & M. Williams

Not really knowing what "Blue Valentine" was all about, I went into it pretty much devoid of any preconceptions. In a nutshell, "Blue Valentine" is a look at the somewhat tumultuous relationship between Dean (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy (Michelle Williams), from its beginnings to the current day.

Both Gosling and Williams deliver fine performances covering a wide gamut of emotional states, and expertly play off one another throughout their relationship touchstones, which are layered on top of one another in a non-linear manner that still manages to show us how their story ultimately unfolds.

Tonally, the films hits all the right notes, and never rushes any of the reveals, but rather makes use of its story structure to keep a temperate pacing that produces a bittersweet reflection of their relationship. It's very much a solid indie type of film that takes a realistic look into an unlikely relationship, and examines the array of emotional and psychological minefields that such a union produces for Dean and Cindy. Overall, a solid film with 2 very strong lead performances by Gosling and Williams.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 01-29-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Gosling was fantastic and completely deserving of a best actor nomination. both of the leads were terrific in this utterly emotionally gut-wrenching film.
Old 01-31-11, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually thought that Gosling was better than Williams. Surprised she got a nod, but he didn't. However, it was a very strong year for male performances.
Old 01-31-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seen it over the weekend. I really liked Williams performance over Portmans in Black Swan.

Fantastic acting by both and Gosling certainly deserved an nomination.

I thought it really hit that authentic note for many married people. The back and forth was quite good too.
Old 01-31-11, 01:55 PM

I thought the movie was good, almost like Revolutionary Road but better. There was nothing even remotely close in here that I would think would get an NC-17 rating which leads me to believe that the MPAA doesn't even bother watching the movies, they just throw darts while blindfolded.

If you're a fan of Gosling's I suggest checking out The Believer. Terrific film.
Old 01-31-11, 02:06 PM

^ should have been nominated for The Believer. Movie was so so, but he was quite good.

I have no clue either as to why they stuck a NC-17 on it at first. I thought maybe it had something to do with
Spoiler:
The scene where Williams is done from behind. Maybe they thought she was getting it in the ass at first which may have sent them running for the NC-17 label. I'm not sure.
Old 02-08-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't really care for it, not that it was bad but I did not at all enjoy watching how unpleasantly she acted. Not a surprise, but at some point I just didn't want to spend anymore time with those people.
Old 02-20-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I didn't really care for it, not that it was bad but I did not at all enjoy watching how unpleasantly she acted. Not a surprise, but at some point I just didn't want to spend anymore time with those people.
I can understand what you're saying, but I really think that's probably an indication of how good the actors and script were. If you've ever been trapped in a situation like that, I think this movie would hit home, and hard. It did a spectacular job of capturing the atmosphere of a marriage where the last bonds are disintegrating, and the desperation that comes with it... it's just that such an atmosphere is grossly unpleasant and hard to watch.

This was an exceptionally well done movie, with terrific performances by both leads. The movie was gutwrenching to me on a personal level for various reasons, so it's hard to reconcile how hard the movie hit me for its own merits versus how hard it hit me for those personal reasons, but all I know is that it had a profound impact on me (as well as ruining my fucking day).

On to more beer.
Old 01-23-12, 11:07 AM

Caught this over the weekend so looking for threads. Agree with the thoughts on it being a very good, very depressing movie with great performances.

Originally Posted by foofighters7
^ should have been nominated for The Believer. Movie was so so, but he was quite good.

I have no clue either as to why they stuck a NC-17 on it at first. I thought maybe it had something to do with
Spoiler:
The scene where Williams is done from behind. Maybe they thought she was getting it in the ass at first which may have sent them running for the NC-17 label. I'm not sure.
If your spoiler was true, it would surely indicate that they don't really watch the movie when they rate these things, since of course
Spoiler:
she got pregnant in that scene
Old 01-31-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I actually thought that Gosling was better than Williams. Surprised she got a nod, but he didn't. However, it was a very strong year for male performances.
I just watched this and have to agree with the above poster. Gosling essentially played two roles - the younger, sweeter Dean who cares about the old man, plays ukelele for Cindy - and the older, balding, possessive, ambition-less Dean. His transformation was helped by his excellent balding makeup and goofy glasses.

Seems Williams was the pretty much the same person.

This movie made me very sad.

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I thought it really hit that authentic note for many married people. The back and forth was quite good too.
This makes me sad that there are marriages like this.
Old 03-04-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

This was good, terrific performance by Michelle Williams. She has an uncanny resemblance to Carey Mulligan.
Old 03-04-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

By the way it was initially given an NC-17 rating because of the scene where Dean eats out Cindy.
Old 05-11-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow what a good film and depressing as hell. Saw The Place Beyond the Pines before this a couple of months ago and thought this was better (even though I loved the first 45 min of TPBTP). I'll be keeping my eye on Derek Cianfrance.

4/5
Old 05-12-14, 08:10 PM
Banned

This movie had a hand in my recent breakup with my gf