Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let Me In (Reeves, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Let Me In (Reeves, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
12.73%
14.55%
36.36%
16.36%
5.45%
5.45%
1.82%
0%
1.82%
1.82%
0%
Let Me Out.
3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Let Me In (Reeves, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 04:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Re: Let Me In (Reeves, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Maybe spelled out isn't best way to say it but the impression I got was

Spoiler:
that the kid was just a replacement for the older guy, it needed someone younger and there had been many replacements. It was pure "evil" in its use of these people.

That is what I took away from it. I could be wrong but I thought that is what the general consensus was.
i don't think she was pure "evil" at all. Richard Jenkins seemed to really care for her, he was tired of the life for sure, but
Spoiler:
the note he left (I am sorry Abby) before he killed himself i think was evidence of his true sentiment for her. sure, Owen is probably a replacement and would eventually be manipulated like Father seemed to be, but i think she harnessed some heartfelt emotions which is what made their quasi-love story sweet, emotional and tragic.
Old 02-04-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't think she was pure "evil" at all.
Evil, "pure" or otherwise, would probably be pretty good at concealing its true intentions and manipulating people.
Old 02-04-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked this. Another take on a very good story.

My only complaint was going with poorly done CGI in a couple of scenes where actual human movements by the actress would have been far better.

Spoiler:
particularly in the scene in the underpass where she is playing helpless to draw the man in. That CGI was weak and unnecessary.

Both are good films, but the Swedish film... just captured lightning in a bottle. There's something really special about that film and the young actors in the leads, and I would have to say it is the superior version.
Old 02-04-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Did you get that impression from the first one as well? I thought the first one was pretty much spelled out. I have not seen the one yet but wonder if I will feel the same way.
I'm not sure if everyone would feel as though the first film displays that ideas as a "sure thing". However, I certainly share your sentiments, and felt the US version had a lot more depth behind the story. I strongly urge you to see Let Me In.
Old 02-04-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
My only complaint was going with poorly done CGI in a couple of scenes where actual human movements by the actress would have been far better.

Spoiler:
particularly in the scene in the underpass where she is playing helpless to draw the man in. That CGI was weak and unnecessary.
The CGI was my only major complaint with the film as well. However, I think it is worth noting that the first one had pretty bad CGI too. So either version is bound to be disappointing for most viewers in that regard.
Old 02-04-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

How anyone could say this movie is weak is out of their damn minds.

This may just be the first time I like both the original and remake the same.

The original obviously had a huge impact on Reeves so much so to the point where he added some serious TLC to the most memorable scenes from it.

And just like the original, it kept a solid medium burn pace...something I'm glad to see in both versions.

Very pleased with this one.
Old 02-09-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm a big fan of the original so i went into this expecting the worst. to my surprise i really enjoyed it almost as much as the original. i think the only weak part of the remake is that it relies too heavily on the aesthetic that the original created. regardless, the cinematography was flawless and the performances were all strong. i'll gladly pick up the blu-ray once it reaches the $10 price point.

i'd really like to see matt reeves direct an original horror film sometime in the future.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 02-09-11 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved Let the Right One In, so I was hesitant to see this one. When all is said and done, Let Me In is a competently made flick, in fact, very much so. I'm conflicted, as the remake is pretty much pointless and while it is done so well, it's not nearly as effective as the original. It's obvious that despite saying the movie is another interpretation of the novel, it is heavily inspired by LtROI.

The performances are all solid... when it comes to the kid actors Kodi Smit-McPhee was really good in this one, but I wasn't as into Chloe Moretz. I do like her and I think she does alright here, but the casting is off. She looks too much like an adolescent girl... she just appears physically more grownup than the prepubescent Owen. Eli, in the book and LtROI is a castrated boy, not a girl and it's debatable if that certain plot element is part of this film. There is a deleted scene from Let Me In that's a flashback where Abby is turned into a vampire and she's obviously a little girl when it happens. I prefer the book and original movie's history of Eli/Abby. It's open to interpretation in Reeve's film (minus the deleted scene), but you'd really have to have prior knowledge of the story to understand it.

Other things that bugged me... the movie is far less subtle, the ending pool scene is completely botched IMHO and I really didn't like the vampire face/effects on Abby.

On a plus note, the serial killer element of Richard Jenkins character is pretty creepy and effective (just a nice touch). The car scene at the gas station is brilliant, just brilliant. I like both takes on the Hakan character in the movies. Neither better, nor worse really. I also liked how Let Me In focused more on the kids and well, the movie is sans cat scene.

In the end, Let the Right One In is superior film. Better mood and atmosphere, more restraint, quirk and originality in the script (I live right here, in the jungle gym) and better casting of the child roles (modestly, the kids are good in LMI). Overall just more thoughtful and haunting.

Let Me In is slick and pretty (which it draws from the original, both films are gorgeous) and worth a watch for apprehensive fans of the first but I'm going to be recommending LtROI first and LMI as "additional reading."

Last edited by notkevinbacon; 11-18-11 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked this as well (like most here, am a huge fan of the original). The car shot/scene was fantastic
Old 03-07-11, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Agree on the car scene. Very inspired.
Old 04-02-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The American film has stuff from the book that was missing from the Swedish film, and vice versa.
I finished the novel yesterday and I didn't find this to be the case. Almost everything that was in the Swedish film appeared in the novel in some form, while anything new in the remake was a change from both the book and the original film. No additional scene or subplot from the novel that wasn't already in the Swedish film appears in the remake.

Perhaps you could consider...
Spoiler:
..the character of the detective (Staffan in the book) investigating the ritual killing to be something Reeve's added from the novel. He was absent in the Swedish film, but a similar character is present in the remake. However, they've completely deleted the subplot with Lacke setting out to avenge Virginia by killing Eli while she sleeps in the bathtub (which was full of blood in the book -- why couldn't they have filmed it like that!). Having the detective appear as the victim in that scene is a clear diversion from the source material.

There were also a few small things that appeared exclusively in the Swedish film (which the book's author, Lindqvist, also scripted) that popped up in the remake. Abby vomiting after she eats the candy and Jimmy asking for his little brother's keys - which sets up his appearance during the pool scene at the end - were both absent from the book. Same goes for the bullies starting the fire to get the coach away from the pool. Scenes like these were obviously borrowed directly from the original film.
That's why I was slightly annoyed to see Reeve's gushing about what an influence the book was to his movie, with no mention of Alfredson's film. The featurette on the blu-ray makes it seem as though Reeve's made this amazing discovery with Lindqvist's book and was determined to adapt it to the screen with his unique vision. There were several cool unused subplots and character beats he could have added straight from the book that I feel would have translated well to the screen.

SPOILERS FROM THE BOOK:
Spoiler:
There is a whole subplot with Hakan (Eli/Abby's caretaker) becoming a vampire - albeit horribly disfigured and running on primal instinct - that was handled wonderfully in the book. There is a scene where he attacks a hospital worker in an elevator while he's still on the gurney that is positively chilling. Lindqvist also tied this in with another subplot of a local boy (Tommy) accidentally being locked in the basement with him in the dark. So suspenseful and scary. I doubt it would have taken up more than ten minutes of screen-time to include this in the movie.

Perhaps adding those scenes would have been unnecessary to the overall Oskar/Eli - Owen/Abby story, but no more so than the subplot of Virginia becoming a vampire. That character was completely dumbed down in the remake. Reeve's turned her into a hot 20-something with no dialogue, simply keeping her in the film so the audience could watch her burst into flames. Yeah, it looked cool -- but we know what sunlight does to vampires and it's demonstrated later when Abby gets burned in the bathtub. Virginia's storyline was already greatly condensed for the Swedish film (again, there was great unadapted material in the book Reeves could have drawn upon here), but she and the townspeople were nothing but glorified extras in the remake. If that's all you're going to show us of these characters, why bother including them at all?

I do like how the Swedish film let's you make up your own mind about Hakan. Has he been with Eli since he himself was a child? Was there a pedophilic angle to their relationship? We don't really know. The book spells it all out -- he was indeed a pedophile who was cast out of his community and living as a suicidal drunk when Eli entered the picture. But the remake shows us photo booth shots that seem to imply Abby had known him since he was a small boy - a difference from all previous source materials.
I have to agree with the view that the CG on Abby during the attack scenes was complete overkill. It only served to make what could have been effective scenes of horror look cheap and unintentionally funny. One thing I did love about the remake was Kodi Smit-McPhee's performance. He came off as more sympathetic than the Oskar from the book (who considered he might one day become a serial killer and had a habit of shoplifting). The Oskar from the Swedish film was portrayed as more introverted and awkward -- perhaps even borderline autistic, as one reviewer here put it. Both films removed some of the elements from the novel that might have cast the character in a less than favorable light to a movie-going audience.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-03-11 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-18-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Just watched this last night and I can't even put into words right now how much I loved this movie.
Old 11-18-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Reeves has been tapped to do the new Twilight Zone movie... I have to say they chose correctly, kind of funny that studios can still judge work for its quality instead of just how much it makes.

That car shot is amazing.
Old 11-18-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Just watched this last night and I can't even put into words right now how much I loved this movie.
have you seen the original?
Old 11-18-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
have you seen the original?
No, but I intend to at some point.
Old 07-24-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

old thread bump

I remember watching Let The Right One In and wondering what all they hype was about
Years later I saw this [Let Me In] on one of the movie channels and felt I enjoyed it more than the original
Now tonight the original was airing on one of the movie channels and I was dvr'ing it to watch later but I started to revisit some of it and was amazed at how good it was (and how well shot it was)
I look forward to watching LTROI again from start to finish but if anything I think the remake gave me a new appreciation for the original
Old 07-24-12, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Loved the original, but if the original one hadn't existed, I would have actually liked Let Me In much more. The direction is fine, but the original was much more evocative.