Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Un prophète (2009, Audiard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could not locate a thread for this movie so I decided to start one. I had heard good things about the film and it easily surpassed my expectations.

I had known little about the film before seeing it so I was not expecting the setting to be mostly set in a prison. I had thought this would be more along the lines of Gomorrah -- much to my delight this film was far superior.

What really struck me about the film was the power struggle within the prison among the Corsicans and the Muslims. Power struggle is not even the right word as the Muslims were constantly bullied by the Corsicans. I found that part of the film fascinating because I have yet to see an American film that depicted Muslims as three dimensional characters.

The lead actor, Tahar Rahim, is great in the film. It is a breakthrough performance for him. I have yet to see anything else from Jacques Audiard but his name will stick with me.

Highly recommended.
Old 09-25-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Un prophète (2009, Audiard)

I posted about this movie quite some time ago, with pretty much zero reaction. My thoughts on it are in the HD forum.
Old 09-25-10, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...you know..you COULD put up a trailer. I GUESS I'll do it for ya...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZs2vL2my7o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZs2vL2my7o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't think I ever saw your thread Sessa probably because I never heard of the film...so I probably saw the name and passed over it. BUT it's got my attention now. Just passed over to Amazon..fucking $29.99...damn. I'll get it once it's cheaper for sure.
Old 09-25-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
...you know..you COULD put up a trailer. I GUESS I'll do it for ya...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZs2vL2my7o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZs2vL2my7o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't think I ever saw your thread Sessa probably because I never heard of the film...so I probably saw the name and passed over it. BUT it's got my attention now. Just passed over to Amazon..fucking $29.99...damn. I'll get it once it's cheaper for sure.
Thanks for the trailer. I think quite a few DVDTalkers picked up during DD's B1G1 Blu-ray sale. I did.
Old 09-25-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man it's been... way too long since I watched this.

I need to watch it again.
Old 09-25-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I posted about this movie quite some time ago, with pretty much zero reaction. My thoughts on it are in the HD forum.
That's the way it goes in this forum. Just about every thread I start about a great film dies fast.

Find a fantastic film that people should see? 2 or 3 posts at best and maybe 50 hits.

Some crap ass blockbuster comic book movie? 50 pages spread over 2 threads.

The 1001th 'What is your favorite director who is underrated, but double secretly overrated, most overrated film made in 1996?' 20 pages.

How about the 'Your top ten underrated films of 2002 that starred a left handed lead' 20 pages. Most of the posts with some list of like 50 movies cut and pasted off a website so that person thinks they will appear knowledgeable.

It's kind of sad.

Seems like threads about really great films would get more attention and discussion on this forum.
Old 09-25-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, let's discuss this film.

What did you guys think about...

Spoiler:
...the supernatural aspect of the film? I thought it added a great layer in the film with Reyeb representing Malik's conscience. Though I did not understand the significance of the car hitting the deer. Yes, he foretold the event before it happened but it only served as a recognition of his intuition. Was there any other meaning behind it?
Old 09-25-10, 08:47 PM
Banned

See what I did? I put a trailer. You put a trailer. More people know wtf you're talking about. Genius.
Old 09-25-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See what I did? I put a trailer. You put a trailer. More people know wtf you're talking about. Genius.
I apologize that you have not heard of this critically acclaimed film.
Old 09-26-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I apologize that you have not heard of this critically acclaimed film.
Thats because Ben Affleck isn't involved in it.
Old 09-26-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Definitely one of the best films last year.
Old 09-26-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
That's the way it goes in this forum. Just about every thread I start about a great film dies fast.
That's how it goes with foreign films. Unless they get a release in the US, expect reactions to be close to nil.

Heck, I remember posting about the adaptation of the Millenium trilogy almost two years ago and all I got was responses from people pissed off that the thread wasn't about some sci-fi tv series... Fast forward to the US release of "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" and you get shitloads of people talking about how awesome it is!
Old 09-26-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell I've posted about really good domestic(US) films too. They die in the same fashion.

Some dumbed-down mass market crapfest? It's a mob scene in that thread.
Old 09-26-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

Hell I've posted about really good domestic(US) films too. They die in the same fashion.

Some dumbed-down mass market crapfest? It's a mob scene in that thread.
Come on, I've become the punching bag here of the blockbuster loving crowd here every time I even remotely criticize one of the supposed-Hollywood masterpieces. I've posted it a hundred times, this is a mainstream blockbuster community. There are only a handful of us that venture outside of Entertainment Weekly movie-going standards & most of those only rely on Criterion to tell them what obscure movie to check out, otherwise they would never even bother. I wrote the first time I made a post about A Prophet (of which I must point out nobody in this thread responded to) that if Criterion put out this movie, there would be dozens of people raving about how they would be buying it despite never seeing it before.
Old 09-26-10, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Thats because Ben Affleck isn't involved in it.
He's only done 3 things that would be give a damn worthy to most of us I think. AT BEST. GBG was great, The Town was him showing he can still direct (it did have a weaker story but I enjoyed it), and I've yet to see GWH to understand what the hype is on that one.

ANYWAY...if ya start a thread on it in this section of of the forum. You're bound to get noticed at some point. A trailer helps as well if it has one.
Old 09-26-10, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eXcentris
That's how it goes with foreign films. Unless they get a release in the US, expect reactions to be close to nil.

Heck, I remember posting about the adaptation of the Millenium trilogy almost two years ago and all I got was responses from people pissed off that the thread wasn't about some sci-fi tv series... Fast forward to the US release of "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" and you get shitloads of people talking about how awesome it is!
I remember your comment in that thread about that too..lol
Old 09-27-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's only done 3 things that would be give a damn worthy to most of us I think. AT BEST. GBG was great, The Town was him showing he can still direct (it did have a weaker story but I enjoyed it), and I've yet to see GWH to understand what the hype is on that one.
Not in this forum. Affleck (or anyone assoaciated with Kevin Smith) is more popular and respected than Billy Wilder, Fellini, and Godard combines. I agree with you on Good Will though, can't stand that movie, corny emotional schlock.
Old 09-27-10, 05:29 PM
Banned

I haven't seen it so...I'm in the dark to understand the hype it gets. It's one of those films that I WILL get to at some point but...it's not one of those that stand out and makes me want to see based on what I've seen as say...Band of Outsiders was to me (which coincidentally you did mention JLG but I'm not using it cuz you mentioned him).

Wilder and Fellini get thrown further back while Godard is still there prominently. I blame the French New Wave and his impact on visual style for that (which is good and bad), Wilder and Fellini really need more love.
Old 11-16-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had this BD for a while from Sony Rewards and finally got around to watching it. Excellent film. Wish more people had seen it as it merits discussion.
Old 11-17-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I heard a great deal about this movie before seeing it. It had gotten great reviews and seemingly universal praise. After i seeing it i felt the same as i did after watching "Gomorrah"...it was way over hyped and really at best an average movie. It will not be getting a second viewing in a long time.
Old 11-17-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found it to be vastly superior to Gommorrah.
Old 11-17-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both are examples of excellent film making.

I would have to say 'Prophet' is the better film. Man that was just a terrific, fantastic film.
Old 11-17-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I found it to be vastly superior to Gommorrah.
Gommorah is extremely overrated. If Criterion put out A Prophet instead of Gommorah people would be buying it.
Old 06-07-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally saw this tonight. Very good movie. Loved the evolution of Malik. Only felt a couple of places that could have been tightened up, but overall a wonderful film.