Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
6.76%
31.08%
45.95%
12.16%
2.70%
1.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
I would rather see Costner's version of Prince of Thieves again.
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: The Town (Affleck, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Loved it! Highest rating from me. I can't tell you the last time I walked out of a movie where I heard more people saying "Wow, that was REALLY good!", to the people they were with.
Old 09-19-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This was really good. I think the film's genre was much more conventional than Gone Baby Gone. Let's be honest, there's only so many things you can do with this movie. Some of the people here are acting like Ben Affleck wrote the direct-to-video sequel to Armored.

It's a solid, solid movie. But, because it treads a well-worn path, it's hard for me for it to really put it above other similar movies: Mystic River and The Departed, for example, were much better. I didn't get the "WOW! What a film!" feeling as I walked out, but I don't expect to get it from every movie; when I don't, it's not a disappointment.

Highly recommended, especially if you're a fan of this genre.

For what it's worth, I've ranked it 13 out of 42 for this year's movies.
Old 09-19-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
give me Friends of Eddie Coyle any day over a film like this.
Funny, The Friends of Eddie Coyle was mentioned in the credits, though I can't recall when any footage may have played.

You're being a bit harsh to the film, at any rate - your review sounds more applicable to Takers. I didn't like the film as much as everyone else seemed to, but the quality of the filmmaking and performances (save Affleck's overbaked accent) is undeniable.
Old 09-19-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoilers, but it's a review thread so I'm not going to tag them.

It was sort of glossed over in the movie, but it seems like there was a hit done on Affleck's father in prison. I don't think the FBI guy ordered it, but maybe asked the guards to look the other way. Or are we to think that it was just the result of him living in a dangerous environment?
Old 09-20-10, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, that wasn't his style. I took it to mean just what it was - territorial prison bullshit. Later on the Florist used that to intimidate McRay, implying he may have had something to do with it and could easily have it happen again.
Old 09-23-10, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw The Town, I liked it a lot. It's not AMAZING but it is better than what I'd call a "standard" crime films...if that makes any sense (probably cuz the way it was shot)

It's a B at the very least, MAYBE a B+ but you might have strongly convince me about it. I liked the story a lot. It's not amazing but it was good. Like the performances. Nobody stood out as amazing in it but they were all solid. Much like somebody mentioned before Blake Lively as Krista Coughlin was pretty standard. She wasn't amazing. In fact...she was the weakest not for her acting but cuz the character is weak overall. That part was easy for an actress.

Directing wise, I liked what Affleck did w/ it. I was kind of amazed of it's heavy lack of CGI. VERY little of it, The Departed had a bit more and it bothered me (that's not a bad thing it's just a preference thing) when ricochet sparks were CGI in it...just...weird. Showing off Boston was very nice as well. I don't think...I've seen it shot so well...just..felt real to me. Love the architecture of the places they used. You can just see the history of Boston without blatantly focusing on the architecture.

I think it's weaker than GBG (mostly cuz the script isn't great in comparison to GBG)..but it's still a good film. I'll buy the BD of it eventually. I'm not going nuts for it to have it in my PS3. I will gladly buy it though down the line. So it seems Affleck isn't just a fluke. he can make solid films. Let's see what he does with his 3rd film.

Somebody else said it but it really feels like HEAT without the fat in terms of pacing or whatever...but HEAT was still better. BUT I could get a HEAT vibe from it. Wonder if that was intentional from Affleck or just a coincidence.
Old 09-23-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's 2010... anything that is not 3D is fucking amazing these days!
Old 09-24-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

One thing that bugged me is the FBI tagged these guys as their prime suspects. They had them pegged but needed to build their case. Yet they did not assign 24 hr surveillance to any of them. All of them were able to plan and meet up for the last robbery job.
Old 09-24-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
One thing that bugged me is the FBI tagged these guys as their prime suspects. They had them pegged but needed to build their case. Yet they did not assign 24 hr surveillance to any of them. All of them were able to plan and meet up for the last robbery job.
Yeah, they didn't pay too much attention to the logic of how law enforcement tried to capture these guys in the movie. For example, not bothering to show a picture of Dougie to any of the Boston PD including the officers stationed outside the apartment specifically there to be "on watch." Of course, if you have no clue what you are to be watching for, it sort of defeats the purpose.

It amazed me how they never bothered to circulate pictures of the suspects/criminals to local law enforcement...especially during all that occurred in the 3rd act.

Just one of many reasons I gave it a 2.5.
Old 09-25-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved it, although I'm admittedly: a sucker for action movies/a sucker for bank robbery movies/a sucker for Ben Affleck.

The sound in my theater was amazing. Every bullet into a car hood sounded cool.

We had a great time. Definitely a Blu-Ray purchase for me.
Old 09-25-10, 12:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
One thing that bugged me is the FBI tagged these guys as their prime suspects. They had them pegged but needed to build their case. Yet they did not assign 24 hr surveillance to any of them.
This exact point was covered in the film. "Unless one of these guys converts to Islam, we won't get 24 hour surveillance."

A refreshing change to the usual movie like this where even local law enforcement has unlimited time and resources.
Old 09-25-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Definitely one of the best movies of the year, but I thought the whole "falling for the victim" plot point was too cliche for my tastes.

Also
Spoiler:
what was up with that Shawshank ending? I half expected to hear Morgan Freeman's voice when she pulled the note out of the bag filled with money.
I'm glad i'm not the only one who left the movie thinking that!

Other then the weak ending, this was a very solid movie.
Old 09-26-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This exact point was covered in the film. "Unless one of these guys converts to Islam, we won't get 24 hour surveillance."

A refreshing change to the usual movie like this where even local law enforcement has unlimited time and resources.
I don't know... seems like an easy out to cover a plot hole. These guys have hit several banks/trucks and are heavily armed. At the very least tail who they considered the leader.
Old 09-29-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this with the wife today. Really good flick. A bit slow getting started but once it got rolling, I was hooked.
Old 10-02-10, 12:41 PM
Cool New Member

The movie was well made, but it felt generic to me. Gone Baby Gone was way better IMHO.
Old 10-02-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was good, but nothing particularly amazing. The movie just never reached the tension that I think a crime/heist movie should reach, and the end was too sappy and "safe."

Enjoyed the cast, but it seems like Blake Lively's character and relationship with Affleck wasn't established well enough to make the scenes in the end feel particularly impactful, both in the hotel room and when talking to Hamm. Affleck and Hall, however, were pretty solid. I think Affleck does a far better job playing this kind of more normal down to earth character then a larger then life action hero.
Old 10-24-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Just saw this yesterday with the wife. I liked it OK. It made me want to watch Heat again. I was a little confused at why the armored truck kept driving at the end. I know that Ben shot inside the truck but did the driver die? It just seemed kind of strange the truck kept moving. The other thing was the two guys that were beaten up seemed kind of random. How did Ben know they were the two guys giving his girl trouble? I did like the line before that. I need your help we are going to hurt some people and you we can never talk about it.
Old 10-24-10, 11:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Just saw this yesterday with the wife. I liked it OK. It made me want to watch Heat again. I was a little confused at why the armored truck kept driving at the end. I know that Ben shot inside the truck but did the driver die? It just seemed kind of strange the truck kept moving. The other thing was the two guys that were beaten up seemed kind of random. How did Ben know they were the two guys giving his girl trouble? I did like the line before that. I need your help we are going to hurt some people and you we can never talk about it.
yes on the first, i think they even showed it.
2nd wasn't random at all. it was obvious that he knows "The Town" real well and knew who it could have been harassing her.
Old 10-24-10, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, he asked what they looked like I think.
Old 10-24-10, 10:05 PM

Saw the movie on Friday with the sister and I thought it was absolutely terrific. Affleck is a supremely talented director, and it makes me want to go back and see what I missed with Gone Baby Gone, which I never had the opportunity to see.

The cast was terrific, but the standout performances for me were given by Rebecca Hall and Jeremy Renner. Especially Hall, who has been on my radar as one to watch since I saw her in Starter for 10 in 2007. With this though, she has risen in the ranks of great actresses as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if both her and Renner receive Oscar nominations for their work come Oscar time.
Old 12-01-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just saw this at our local Drafthouse, enjoyed it and also saw similarities with Heat. But did anybody else think Jon Hamm's voice was way different than it was on Mad Men? Not an accent, but just...not as deep as on the show.
Old 12-03-10, 03:50 AM

I'll agree with everyone who made the Heat comparison--the Town is a blue-collar, Boston version of Mann's film. It's not as good and has an unbelievable romantic tinge that Heat never caves for, but it's still probably the best crime film I've seen since No Country. Affleck comes across as a truly good actor, and Rebecca Hall is fantastic as always.

Not to be too critical--I really did enjoy it, and I'm beginning to think that Affleck may have a future as a director--but did anyone else think that Ben and co. were trying too hard to establish their Boston credentials? Every exterior shot was filled with local landmarks, and the firefight at
Spoiler:
Fenway
was ridiculously over the top in concept as well as scope. I can see De Niro and Kilmer being experts with automatic rifles in Heat because they're the best thieves in the world; by contrast, Affleck and his crew were just garden-variety criminals with day jobs who happened to knock over a bank every now and then.

Minor complaints aside, it's well worth seeing and is one of the better films of the year.
Old 12-03-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed I never commented in here despite seeing the film when it came out.

I really enjoyed this one; it had some great writing, Affleck & Renner are both fantastic, loved the locations. If I had a complaint, it would be that it gets too cliche at times. It's so typical that
Spoiler:
the good looking criminal with a conscience (Affleck) gets the happy ending, while his thug buddy (Renner) gets wasted.
Still thought it was great, though. I'm looking forward to checking out the extended cut on BD.
Old 12-03-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was I the only person bored to tears by this? I hated every character in the movie, hated the contrived plot (Ben in NA, his mixed emotions, the swell ending). It just seemed to want to be more than it really was.
Old 12-19-10, 05:38 AM

Just watched it and thought it was superb.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.