Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Comic book genre

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic book genre

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ghost World

Rewatched this the other night. Still the best comic book to film adaptation yet made.
Nope, sorry, not even close .

Old 09-11-10, 03:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since that image doesn't work, perhaps you could tell us what movie you were referring to? It was Howard the Duck, wasn't it?
Old 09-11-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there needs to be a distinction made between comic book based movies and superhero movies. I'm referring to super hero movies.

Someone will always use Ghost World or Road to Perdition as an example but those are not nearly the same thing as Fantastic Four or Ghost Rider.
Old 09-11-10, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

I think the question here is about super hero movies, not comic book movies. Because I highly doubt the OP meant Ghost World or Red when making this thread.

And, to that point, I'd say "Super hero movie" is a genre, while "Comic book movie" is not. Because if they made a Strangers In Paradise movie, no one would classify it as a comic book movie, any more than people classify Jaws or The Remains of the Day as "book movies."
Old 09-11-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Giant...Mechanical...Spider
Old 09-11-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being a long-time comic book reader, I get a kick out of seeing all these comics adapted into films. However, that doesn't mean I'm biased towards each individual one going in. As with all genres of film, I don't really get sick of the genre, but of the individual films. Sometimes we get runs where several bad comic-based movies get released together. That's not going to turn me off the genre, but it might turn me off the particular movie franchise (if it becomes that). For instance, I'm not particularly inclined to see any potential Daredevil sequel with Ben Affleck (hypothetical, I don't think it's anything I need to worry about) as I wasn't enchanted with Affleck's performance or the film overall. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't give a Daredevil reboot a chance, much the same way I gave "Batman Begins" a shot after Joel Schumacher torpedoed the prior run of films.
Old 09-12-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since that image doesn't work, perhaps you could tell us what movie you were referring to? It was Howard the Duck, wasn't it?
Old 09-12-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

If you want to talk about the history of superhero/comic book movies, you have to go back to the ten-minute Max Fleischer cartoon, "Superman," made in 1941 and the subsequent series of cartoons (17 in all), all shown in theaters. Live-action serials (chapter-plays, cliffhangers) started using comic books as source material around the same time with CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941), which was followed by BATMAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, and SPY SMASHER, among others. Prior to that, there were many serials (Dick Tracy, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, etc.) based on comic strips, not comic books.

In Japan, films, TV shows and animation have been based on manga (comic books) for decades. The earliest examples I know of date from the 1960s, although I'm sure there are examples from the 1950s. CYBORG 009 was a color animated feature made in 1964 based on a sci-fi/superhero manga.

Manga, of course, covers a helluva lot more than superheroes. You've got teen comedies, science fiction, sports, romance, melodrama, historical sagas, etc. Well-known live-action films based on manga include the "Lone Wolf and Cub" swordplay series and the two LADY SNOWBLOOD films. DEATH NOTE and TWENTIETH CENTURY BOYS are recent examples of Japanese live-action films based on manga.

In anime, Miyazaki's NAUSICAA was based on his own manga, and Otomo's AKIRA was also based on his own manga. Long-running anime series like DRAGON BALL, SAILOR MOON and NARUTO were based on long-running manga.

My point is that "comic book/superhero" genres encompass a lot more than what's been discussed in this thread so far. If you want to narrow the discussion to 21st century live-action big-budget Hollywood superhero films, that's fine and I think everyone will know you're talking about the X-Men, Spiderman, Iron Man, Daredevil, Hulk, Batman, Superman films. But it gets a little tricky when you go beyond those, e.g. SCOTT PILGRIM and KICK-ASS, because then people go "What about GHOST WORLD and ROAD TO PERDITION?"

You get the idea.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-13-10 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-12-10, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally think the OP got it wrong and didn't think clearly about it. Comic book stuff has been way before Blade made superhero movies a big deal. We're talking about the superhero films of now. Otherwise like someone else said...we'd have to give book adaptations their own category and such...
Old 09-12-10, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Ahh, good call. But I still have to go with Ghost World. I'd go with Ghost In The Shell for best manga to film adaptation.