Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any interest for Avatar:Special Edition?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Any interest for Avatar:Special Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 04:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Any interest for Avatar:Special Edition?

I thought the stampede/hunting scene looked amazing in 3D and on the big screen - the little moment where the arrow flew off the creatures hide and into our (the viewers) face, made me wince.
Old 08-30-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, for two reasons:

1. Too soon. I could have my interest peaked in 5 or 10 years, but a mere 7 months after it left theatres? I got too much else to watch.

2. Not enough difference between the versions. 8 minutes? Who cares? Also, knowing that the BD version will be even longer makes me just figure that when I do decide that I want to see this again, I'll want to watch the longest one.

2.5 I didn't love the film, honestly. It was a fun ride, but just not that memorable to me.
Old 08-30-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No interest. Once was enough.

I do not like this film.
Old 09-01-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it - the added footage was very good, didn't feel tacked on and I was glad to see they added both action and character moments. I'm sure the further extended edition will be even better.
Old 09-01-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Will probably run to see it this weekend, since we may lose it after that.

There's still a little something missing. It just doesn't feel like "the highest grossing movie ever".

I do love the way Cameron "builds" the movie, instead of just forcing characters into action sequences. For the most expensive movie ever, it's really restrained. During the 3rd act, you can see that's obviously what Cameron was really excited about making. Everything really holds up after several viewings. I miss that 'old way'. Newer movies just have characters going from action sequence to action sequence, about five times throughout the movie. And, till you get to the end, the end may not hold up, because the best sequence is already long gone.
Old 09-03-10, 07:04 PM
Cool New Member

I only got a chance to see the movie originally in a non-3D format, so I may take the opportunity here to see it in its full splendor like I didn't get to the first time, and a few additional minutes of new content is a nice perk.
Old 09-04-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Just saw the special edition tonight. I saw the original release twice in theaters, early in its release, but I haven't seen it on DVD/bluray yet.

I liked the SE even more than the original. The big battle is fleshed out a bit more and seems to flow better. I liked the added scene with Jake's rival after he fell from the aircraft in the battle. I also liked the additional scene earlier, during Jake's first excursion off the compound in his avatar, where they go to Grace's abandoned schoolhouse and there is a copy of The Lorax on the floor. The extra hunting scene didn't add much, and only serves to strengthen the Dances With Wolves comparisons (the buffalo hunt), but it's a pretty short scene.

I'll look forward to even more added footage on the SE blu-ray. Avatar is really great fantasy escapism.
Old 09-05-10, 01:24 PM

I'll get the blu ray
Old 09-05-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Zero desire to ever see this film again.