Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Whose work do you prefer?
David Fincher
49.39%
Christopher Nolan
50.61%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Fincher or Nolan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Fincher or Nolan?

Very tough but I have to go Nolan.

Se7en is still one of my all time faves, but Fight Club seems to be losing steam with me over time. The Game is great but I haven't seen it for a while. Kind of meh about Panic Room and Zodiac is well made, but didn't really resonate with me. And Benjamin Button did not live up to its potential IMO.

With Nolan, I'm not a big fan of Following, but Memento floored me. Insomnia was good but I need to revisit it. The Batman movies are pitch-perfect to me. The Prestige has great mood and execution and of course, great performances. Inception is still churning in my head but I love the ambition Nolan showed in making it.
Old 07-26-10, 10:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nolan.

Both are great, but I enjoy every movie that Nolan has done. I didn't care for Benjamin Button and really dislike Alien3.
Old 07-26-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Alien 3, is ok, but is the worst of the series and I do not view it as fondly as a lot of others seem to now looking back at it)
If Alien 3 is "ok" and is the "worst of the series," then that makes Alien Resurrection more than ok. Alien Resurrection is far from being an "ok" movie.

I agree with you about Benjamin Button though.
Old 07-26-10, 11:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Nolan's 2010 film: thieves break into peoples dreams to steal secrets.

Fincher's 2010 film: some guy makes a website.
its funny but it is true, is a movie with a simple plot. Like Moskovitz said "a dramatization of history...it is interesting to see my past rewritten in a way that emphasizes things that didn't matter"

Anyways both directors are great and have must see films. But the facts are the facts and Nolan has not yet made a film that would rank lower than a 4
(out of 5) stars and that's just impressive.
Old 07-26-10, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
If Alien 3 is "ok" and is the "worst of the series," then that makes Alien Resurrection more than ok. Alien Resurrection is far from being an "ok" movie.

I agree with you about Benjamin Button though.
Ok, I know I'm in the minority, but I happen to really like Alien Resurrection. The entire Alien series is a pretty impressive thing, each film is distinctly different, yet they all feel natural to the universe.

Alien is horror/haunted house type film. And the best.

Aliens is an actioner. Standard, but fun. The safest of all the flicks, but works.

Alien 3, is dreary and dark and to me is the only film that doesn't stand out as anything too interesting or very ambitious. It somewhat meshes Alien and Aliens, and there is a spiritual and apocalyptic feel to it. It's the heaviest/bleakest of all the films.

Alien Resurrection is just a quirky, borderline comedy and is mostly an absurdest, surreal film. I really like some of the concepts in the film, even the fumbled ones (the 'gift' the queen gets from Ripley, and the resulting creature, the clone room, etc). It's gory as all hell and creepy, yet hilarious. I think the biggest turn off for a lot of people besides the tone is the change to the Ripley character, who is the glue for the entire series. The tone reminded me a lot of the Alien Dark Horse comics I was reading at the time and for me, it's an interesting film. Not a failure, but not a total success either. It's a complete manic flick and I just kinda dig it.
Old 07-26-10, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Alien Resurrection is just a quirky, borderline comedy and is mostly an absurdest, surreal film. I really like some of the concepts in the film, even the fumbled ones (the 'gift' the queen gets from Ripley, and the resulting creature, the clone room, etc).
I think that's what makes me hate it even more, the fact that it had some good/great concepts and it was pissed away by the excessive lame humor and lack of direction. That clone room scene stayed with after seeing the film, specifically the living specimens.
Old 07-26-10, 07:41 PM
Cool New Member

I think I'd vote Fincher, but Ben Button was such a disaster that I almost want to say Nolan just because. I like them both but my love of Zodiac will be the decision maker. Fincher.
Old 07-26-10, 07:45 PM

Finchers best movies are on a totally different level than Nolans. So Fincher.

Nolans de facto theme that he likes to explore is Obsessions...and in that area, Fincher's Zodiac obliterates everything in Nolan's fimography.
Old 07-26-10, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of love for Zodiac here. I thought it was good but nothing spectacular...am I missing something?
Old 07-26-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The Prestige is probably my favorite movie of all time. Memento is right up there and I suspect with a few more viewing Inception will be up there as well. I won't even bring the Batman's into the discussion which I do love. For me it's Nolan by far.
I agree. I love The Prestige and Memento, and quite enjoy his Batman films so far. Insomnia is a decent thriller and some of the ideas of Inception were quite mind blowing.

Nolan by far, because Fincher is hit or miss with me.
Old 07-26-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmu878
Fincher:
Fight Club
Se7en

Nolan:
Memento
Batman Begins
TDK
The Prestige
Inception

7 Actually.
I'd take out Batman Begins and I would add Zodiac.

I'll give the slight edge to Nolan since he has more great movies but Fincher is can't miss for me as well.

Nolan landed Batman and that was huge. I'd like to see what Fincher could do Superhero movie, I think he'd knock it out of the park much like Nolan did.
Old 07-26-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Really. Six.
What are the six?
Old 07-26-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jmu878
Alot of love for Zodiac here. I thought it was good but nothing spectacular...am I missing something?
I kind of had the same view immediately after seeing it but it was one of those movies that really sticks with me, I kept thinking about it a lot and after seeing a 2nd time I think it's definitely my favorite Fincher flick. Theres something really subtle and powerful about it.
Old 07-26-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I kind of had the same view immediately after seeing it but it was one of those movies that really sticks with me, I kept thinking about it a lot and after seeing a 2nd time I think it's definitely my favorite Fincher flick. Theres something really subtle and powerful about it.
Downey Jr. and Ruffalo put on an acting clinic in this film. They are perfection.
I've seen this film 6 times and it just keeps getting better. I lived through this event as a child in the SF Bay Area. Fincher nails all the little details (the KGO radio spots are eerie) and captures the mood and paranoia of the period perfectly. Easily the best Fincher film and my favorite film of the last ten years.
Old 07-26-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Downey Jr. and Ruffalo put on an acting clinic in this film. They are perfection.
I've seen this film 6 times and it just keeps getting better. I lived through this event as a child in the SF Bay Area. Fincher nails all the little details (the KGO radio spots are eerie) and captures the mood and paranoia of the period perfectly. Easily the best Fincher film and my favorite film of the last ten years.
The "basement" sequence is also one of the creepiest sequences I've ever seen in a movie.
Old 07-26-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fincher, by far. While, like Nolan, he's more of a style-over substance guy, when it comes to the simple act of staging a scene, he crafts a lovely piece of drama, while Nolan is all crazy MTV edits and pointless camera motion. Fincher is also a master of cinematography, using a color palette like no one else, whereas Nolan has a very bland, kind of Nordic, visual style (though his cinematography is good).

For the films themselves, I wasn't a fan of Ben Button, but greatly admire Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Game... and found Panic Room interesting, from a directorial standpoint.

I have to be honest and say the only Nolan films I've seen are Memento, the Batman's, and Inception. I enjoyed Memento, was mildly entertained by the Batman's (though I will contend, no matter what anyone says, that Tim Burton's were better written/acted/directed), and really really disliked Inception.

To sum up, Fincher is an interesting director, and even though I can't say I "love" Fincher, I actively dislike Nolan's directing. Fincher creates iconic images, while Nolan has yet to compose a shot I can even draw up from memory. I think he's honestly a flash-in-the-pan in the history of cinema and will be remembered as this decade's Wachowski Bros.
Old 07-26-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
While, like Nolan, he's more of a style-over substance guy
No, just no.
Old 07-26-10, 11:52 PM

Nolan. I have yet to be disappointed by any of his films. I can watch any of his movies repeatedly and not get tired of them. I can only watch Fincher's flicks every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I do love them both.
Old 07-27-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The "basement" sequence is also one of the creepiest sequences I've ever seen in a movie.
Agreed. It's a very short sequence, brilliantly devised and perfectly executed, it raised the hair on the back of my neck in the theater.

Zodiac is filled with many, many masterful sequences. The interrogation scene with John Carroll Lynch is another jawdropper.

I can't think of a better modern example of a director SO on top of his game.
Old 07-27-10, 02:40 AM
Banned

I think he's honestly a flash-in-the-pan in the history of cinema and will be remembered as this decade's Wachowski Bros.
You're wrong.
Old 07-27-10, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither... oh, wait. Fincher.
Old 07-27-10, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

For the films themselves, I wasn't a fan of Ben Button, but greatly admire Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Game... and found Panic Room interesting, from a directorial standpoint.
For those unfamiliar with the concept, that's Fanboy talk for "it sucked".

I was mildly entertained by the Batman's (though I will contend, no matter what anyone says, that Tim Burton's were better written/acted/directed), and really really disliked Inception.
Tim Burton's Batman movies were HORRIFICALLY written. I will go toe-to-toe on why the first Batman movie is ridden with plotholes, dramatically inert, generally plotless, and completely unconcerned with the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman and only interested in the Joker. Production design and visual flair was impressive. The direction and writing were FAR from it.

I think he's honestly a flash-in-the-pan in the history of cinema and will be remembered as this decade's Wachowski Bros.
You're insane.
Old 07-27-10, 07:24 AM

Speed Racer is more creative and imaginitive than anything that Nolan has done, and better than any of his movies bar Memento. Needless to say that the first Matrix also slaps down Inception every which way.

I wish he was this decades Wachowskis.
Old 07-27-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
Speed Racer is more creative and imaginitive than anything that Nolan has done, and better than any of his movies bar Memento. Needless to say that the first Matrix also slaps down Inception every which way.

I wish he was this decades Wachowskis.

Speed Racer was creative and imaginative visually, as a movie it was absolutely terrible -- banal script, terrible acting and generally poor directing (of course much of that could have been the scripts fault). The Wachowskis have made exactly two good movies (Bound and The Matrix), Nolan has a couple great ones under his belt.

(Note: Was never a huge fan of The Matrix but do note its influence on movies for the decade that followed).

My vote still goes to Fincher but I dunno how the Wachowskis got caught up in this.

Fincher creates iconic images, while Nolan has yet to compose a shot I can even draw up from memory. I think he's honestly a flash-in-the-pan in the history of cinema and will be remembered as this decade's Wachowski Bros.
I agree he is more of a visual craftsman than Nolan is. However, The Prestige, imo, was one of the more visually impressive movies this decade with numerous beautifully composed shots in it, at least, imho.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-27-10 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2

Speed Racer was creative and imaginative visually, as a movie it was absolutely terrible -- banal script, terrible acting and generally poor directing (of course much of that could have been the scripts fault). The Wachowskis have made exactly two good movies (Bound and The Matrix), Nolan has a couple great ones under his belt.

(Note: Was never a huge fan of The Matrix but do note its influence on movies for the decade that followed).

My vote still goes to Fincher but I dunno how the Wachowskis got caught up in this.
The directing and editing of Speed Racer is better than anything in Inception. The way it switches between different time periods within a single scene so flawlessly and creatively absolutely shames any of the switching between dream layers editing in Inception

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.