Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Flaw in 3D's Bright Future

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 06:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...ost-dark-19392

What do members here think of this? Any truth to this?
Old 07-24-10, 06:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Dark Flaw in 3D's Bright Future

Of course it's true. Several of us have been pointing this out for years.
Old 07-24-10, 06:05 PM

^Think theaters care enough to fix it?
Old 07-24-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

It's one of the reasons I pretty much hate this 3D trend. Darker, muddier and frankly it's all a giant hype. I felt like I was watching Alice In Wonderland through a sheet of gauze.
Old 07-24-10, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
It's one of the reasons I pretty much hate this 3D trend. Darker, muddier and frankly it's all a giant hype.
Kia Ora. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Old 07-24-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsung
^Think theaters care enough to fix it?
It's not the theaters, it's the designers and manufacturers of the projectors and bulbs. 3D attendance is steadily decreasing however, whether it's because of the dimmed image or not, I dunno.

Old 07-24-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been a fan of 3D. It's nothing more than a gimmick and the quality of the image is distracting. In an age where technology allows for greater clarity, releasing muddy prints feels like taking a giant step back.
Old 07-24-10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
It's not the theaters, it's the designers and manufacturers of the projectors and bulbs. 3D attendance is steadily decreasing however, whether it's because of the dimmed image or not, I dunno.
While I don't know if it has anything to do with a dimmed image either, I don't think subpar 3D conversions are helping anything right now.
Old 07-24-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really, really hope 3D is a gimmick. It add ridiculous prices to already expensive movies and brings very little. The ad for the new Resident Evil looks to be nothing more than "hey, look what else we can make come out at you!" My theater now charges $17.50 for %#@ing 3D and IMAX movies, and that's just plain wrong. I've all but stopped going as a result. I'm just waiting for the day when we have to wear special headphones to "hear" the movie in 3D too.
Old 07-24-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If the theater invests in the proper equipment, the lighting isn't an issue. I go to the Roseway in Portland and they have all state of the art equipment. The 3D movies seem noticeable brighter than regular movies they show their when you remove your glasses.

The two 3D movies I've seen at other theaters (My Bloody Valentine and A Christmas Carol) were noticeably dull compared to the standard movies shown at that particular chain.
Old 07-24-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought 3D was already dead. *sigh
Old 07-24-10, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do wish to see this in 3D...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKTNDgCTyVU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKTNDgCTyVU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-25-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I found a response to that chart that says what I was thinking:

http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-mo...ling-it-2010-7
Leaving aside the fact that the data is cherry-picked (Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans are suspiciously absent), this chart reflects the glut of 3D movies, the dearth of 3D theaters, and the decisions made by movie studios.

Digital projector manufacturers are currently cranking out 3D-enabled devices as fast as they possibly can, but most screens are still incapable of showing 3D movies. The many 3D movies coming out are competing for space on a limited number of screens. The percentage of revenue a movie takes in from 3D isn't an organic product of consumer choice -- it is largely predetermined by where a movie studio shows it.

Taking that into account, the trend looks very different. Clash of the Titans, for instance, took in 52% of its opening weekend revenue from the 28% of the screens showing the film in 3D, despite the fact that it was shoddily converted to 3D at the last minute.
Avatar had 3D screens to itself opening weekend, and probably most of its run. In contrast, Despicable Me had to wrestle 3D screens away from The Last Airbender, which opened the weekend before, and even Toy Story 3, which still has 3D screens. Hell, there's apparently still a theater showing Shrek 4 in 3D nearby.

So, the low percentages of some more recent film openings reflect the glut of 3D films coming out, not an actual lowering of attendance of 3D screens.
Old 07-25-10, 01:17 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate 3D because the goggles fit so awkwardly on you that i have to keep readjusting them which takes you out of the movie and it's even more dumb if you wear glasses, call me when they invent holograms popping out of the screen.
Old 07-25-10, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
If the theater invests in the proper equipment, the lighting isn't an issue.
Considering how much theatres with 3D screens have already invested in new technology, though, does anyone think that theatre owners are in any hurry to invest in yet more equipment to improve the quality of 3D screenings?
Old 07-25-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I might have gone to every 3-D movie if they didn't charge extra for them. Since they are, I've seen only one.
Old 07-25-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by valkyrie
It add ridiculous prices to already expensive movies and brings very little.
I agree, my main gripe is the inflated prices. And even if a non 3D version is available, that's less times for me to choose from. But I don't see this going away anytime soon, it's kinda like politics - it's a lot easier to add something than to take something away that's already been established.
Old 07-25-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The 3-D in movies is exactly the same effect you get from this:

So I'm not impressed, plus my eyes fucking hurt after I take off them shutter shits. It reminds me of "They Live" when piper would take his shades off and his head is spinning lol
Old 07-25-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm cheap so for me the extra cost of a 3d screening isn't worth it
I did enjoy the 3d scenes in superman returns though
Old 07-26-10, 03:10 AM

Does anyone even like 3D movies? It seems to me that most people see movies in 3D because they have heard that 3D is now new and improved, and are curious to see how it has changed. Once they are used to the 3D, though, many of those people have a take it or leave it attitude, and combined with the higher cost for 3D movies, are perfectly content with traditional 2D movies. Anyone agree?
Old 07-26-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsung
Does anyone even like 3D movies? It seems to me that most people see movies in 3D because they have heard that 3D is now new and improved, and are curious to see how it has changed. Once they are used to the 3D, though, many of those people have a take it or leave it attitude, and combined with the higher cost for 3D movies, are perfectly content with traditional 2D movies. Anyone agree?
Despite not being a huge fan of the movie, I thought "Avatar" was simply amazing in 3D. My Bloody Valentine was also really fun with how it exploited the gimmick.

The Toy Story films though just added a nice sense of depth; I only pay $9 to see 3D films though so it wasn't a huge deal. I wouldn't pay full price at a chain theater to see something post-converted; the fact that Jackass 3D is the first movie since Avatar to really use the cameras and not just do a slapdash post job, does say a lot at how the format is not being used properly and the benefits being buried under garbage.
Old 07-26-10, 05:03 PM

The darkened image effect is the result of ignorant studios and filmmakers.

James Cameron specifically color timed Avatar to make up for the loss of brightness from the Glasses, which is why next to one was complaining about this issue when Avatar came out.

All it comes down to is Horrible studio decisions cheapening the format with their kneejerk rush job conversions. Rushed conversions, no taking into consideration the "darkness" effect, etc.

Tron Legacy in December will hopefully shut up all the whining thanks to it being shot in native 3D and the fact that its using an even newer model camera that results in an even crisper picture.
Old 07-26-10, 05:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
Tron Legacy in December will hopefully shut up all the whining thanks to it being shot in native 3D and the fact that its using an even newer model camera that results in an even crisper picture.
I'm not a fan of 3D at all, but I will admit that the picture quality on the Tron Legacy preview I saw (in front of How to Train Your Dragon) was pretty good.
Old 07-26-10, 05:12 PM

At least some studios are wising up a bit.

WB agreed with Zack Snyder to drop the 3D conversion for Sucker Punch since he thought it didn't work at all, and from the interviews Ive read of the guy, he is pretty gung-ho about 3D thanks to that Owl movie he just finished.
Old 07-26-10, 05:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor

All it comes down to is Horrible studio decisions cheapening the format with their kneejerk rush job conversions. Rushed conversions, no taking into consideration the "darkness" effect, etc.
Unfortunately that kind of thinking killed 3-D in the '50s and it already is killing 3D again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.