Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Black Dynamite Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official Black Dynamite Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Black Dynamite

But...instead of making it mainstream...it's pretty much keeping it grounded in it's 70s nature.

also..it looks like it's better film making also..

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-27-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-27-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This still looks average.
Old 04-26-09, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chud has a review up here: http://chud.com/articles/articles/19...ITE/Page1.html

for those too lazy to click the link:

Spoiler:
Black Dynamite is a former Vietnam vet and CIA agent with a license to kill. Seriously, it actually says that. It's 1972 and this brother is looking out for his neighborhood and his money, and doesn't like when people mess with either one. When his brother (real, not street) gets killed in an drug deal gone bad with the Italian mob, Black Dynamite vows to take revenge with his gigantic hand cannon and trusty nunchucks. As he fights his way through dozens of foes he uncovers a myriad of conspiracies- someone is trying to get little black orphans hooked on heroin, and exploiting one of the black man's biggest weaknesses in order to take out their manhood. He follows the conspiracy straight to the top... all the way to the White House.

After that incredible, incredible trailer, there shouldn't have been a person alive who wasn't excited about Black Dynamite. Sadly, the film can't live up to it.

If you go into this movie expecting a riff on blaxploitation... don't. It's not. The sense of humor is more in line with a Wayans Brothers spoof than a blaxploitation film. It's silly beyond belief and patently absurd, and knows that it is.

Sure, it looks like a blaxploitation film with its retro clothes and set design, and especially with all the ridiculous camera zooms and splitscreens. And it certainly sounds like one, especially with its fantastic Black Dynamite theme song that plays everytime he steps into a room ("DY-NO-MITE! DY-NO-MITE!")

But it doesn't feel like one. So why bother to even make such an homage?

The biggest problem with the film is that as funny some of the gags are there are just as many that fall flat, if not more. Chicken Waffles? Really?

There's also no real substance to the film. The barest bit of backstory is given to Black Dynamite, and he's the main character! You're given no one to care about, especially since all the sidekicks and villains are fairly interchangeable and forettable. That may sound like a strange complaint in this kind of comedy (one that throws boom mics into frame and features multiple closeup shots of a tiny penis) but it's what keeps it from being a great and rewatchable film.

That said, Michael Jai White is easily the best part. He gets all the funniest lines (his Vietnam flashback will have you in tears) and the most awesome fights, and of course, all the big titty bitches. He's the only one that feels like he truly knows what's going on, and is just incredibly entertaining to watch. His fights are surprisingly well-choreographed, even if you'll get sick of them by the unfortunately boring ending.

But as eye-rollingly stupid as the film gets it's hard to hate it. It's very funny at parts and the action scenes are entertaining enough. For fans of the genre it's worth a watch- just don't go into it expecting the second coming of blaxploitation.

7 out of 10
Old 09-10-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New (?) trailer from MTV:

<object width="450" height="303"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13869"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/13869" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="303" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Goddamn, do I want to see this!
Old 09-10-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 793 Likes on 572 Posts

I was able to see this at the LA Film Festival and it's fucking hilarious in that it's very serious about recapturing the 70's blaxploitation genre. This is no I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.... this is in the vein of a Dolemite film.

I felt it ran just a bit long but I'm sure there will be some trimming before it gets released.
Old 09-10-09, 09:03 PM
Banned

Yeah...didn't the first trailer pop out in December last year? I still wait to see this film.
Old 10-14-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 295 Posts

So this comes out Friday....on 70 screens

Nothing around me of course. Sad.
Old 10-14-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This and Black Devil Doll are two of my most anticipated films. Blaxploitation FTW!

Also, does anyone else think the lead chick in BD (I think she's the lead) looks a little like Pam Grier?
Old 10-14-09, 10:40 AM
Banned

I don't think that's a coincidence. Though in reality, every black woman w/ an afro after Pam Grier's cinematic debut looked like her. She just had a look you know?
Old 10-14-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I don't think that's a coincidence. Though in reality, every black woman w/ an afro after Pam Grier's cinematic debut looked like her. She just had a look you know?
Haha, that is true.
Old 10-14-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck

Nothing around me either and Vegas has always been one of the few markets Sony has released their platform releases to. I'm hoping we get it within the next few weeks as this has been one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

If Apparition's next release, Boondock Saints II doesn't play in Vegas opening weekend, I'm going to be pissed.

Oh wait. I'll probably be in LA that weekend partying it up for my birthday, so I may be safe.
Old 10-14-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck

You wouldn't happen to have a theater link on this??? Thanks ...
Old 10-15-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 316 Posts

http://www.blackdynamitemovie.com/

Boo to this not opening in San Francisco this weekend.
Old 10-15-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I went on there right after posting and used the linked moviefone site to search the demographics. Nothing in Massachusetts. Maybe I'll go see the high level of awesomeness that is Whip It ten times this weekend since that's the only shit that people feel worth playing theatrically these days. What a fucking joke.

This is a big disappointment.

Other than that I have no strong feelings about the matter.
Old 10-15-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome! It's opening @ the Irvine Spectrum 15 min from my house. I gots to go see this shit.
Old 10-15-09, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much fun! GO SEE IT (if you can)

DVD...November 17.
Old 10-15-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't there a bidding war on this at Sundance or something? How did it go from potentially huge to Mike Judge movie in just a few months?
Old 10-15-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Wasn't there a bidding war on this at Sundance or something? How did it go from potentially huge to Mike Judge movie in just a few months?
I highly doubt a throwback 70's blaxploitation flick was ever going to have "huge potential". But it does look fun as all hell.
Old 10-15-09, 08:01 PM

Seems to getting a limited theatrical run before it hits DVD like other "genre" films (Grace, Trick 'r Treat, Dead Snow for example).
Old 10-16-09, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVD isn't coming out in November, unless it got retitled to Black Soul Dynamite as Sony sold the DVD rights to some company known as Video Asia.

Sony has always intended it to be a platform release. We will see more theaters get the film within the next few weeks.
Old 10-16-09, 12:14 PM

Amazon's bad then. They have Black Dynamite mixed up with Black Soul Dynamite hehe...
Old 10-16-09, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess expecting this in Hawaii was asking for too much, eh?
Old 10-17-09, 08:05 PM

Caught it last night at a half-empty theater in NYC's Upper West Side. This is what "Undercover Brother" and "Grindhouse" (minus the 'phony' trailers) wished they could have been but weren't: a tribute to a dismissed period of cinema that feels like it belongs (and comes from) its era.

But this isn't just a collection of random jokes or stabs at blaxploitation genre cliches without rhyme or reason. There is an actual story (convoluted and non-sensical but it's there, and even allows long scenes that advance the plot to unfold without a single obvious joke), there are real characters (over-the-top and cliche' but not two-dimensional walking cardboards) and there are action/fighting scenes (enhanced via the same seamless green screen/CG technology used in "Kung-Pow" a few years back) that make this an actual blaxpoitation movie that just happens to be funny because it's being so true and respectful to the genre it represents. Michael Jai White looks and inhabits his lead role like he stepped out of the 1970's; it's the best casting for a movie since Christopher Reeve got the Superman/Clark Kent role, and I'm not kidding. Supporting actors really get into their blaxpoitation roles (Arsenio Hall and Tommy Davidson are hilarious in too-brief cameos) but they don't overplay their OTT personalities or overstay their welcome. The way "Black Dynamite" gets around its 'R' rating to sneak in a graphic sex scene is not only genius but ties directly with the movie's best scene in which the 'heroes' crack the code in a cafeteria. And the orphanage scene has to be seen to be believed. Only the overblown finale that pushes things way past the breaking point (think "Shoot 'Em Up" and yes, it's that big a misfire) betrays the cinematic illusion that this is a 70's flick that's been rotting in a vault somewhere.

I got my $12.50's worth and will gladly wait for the DVD because I'm sure there's a joke or two I missed. The one's that hit the mark are hilarious though. Don't listen to the DVD Talk reviewer on this one (they're usually right but this time he's way off), "Black Dynamite" is a winnah!

Last edited by dad1153; 10-17-09 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For the most part, "Black Dynamite" is a hilarious send-up of the blaxploitation genre, but the film is filled with peaks and valleys, meaning, when it's funny it's really funny, while the valleys come from the transitions from scene to scene at times, but overall, I got a lot of big laughs, laughs I haven't had at the cinema in quite a while, so it gets a recommendation from me. The plot is kind of loopy, but you just roll with it because the film swings for the fences, and connected on more swings than it misses.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 10-19-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved every minute of it. I agree with the peaks and valleys comment, but still enjoyed it all. A- / B+ Good time at the movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.