Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Spoiler:
He washed up on the beach in a daze, and Saito's men grabbed him right away taking his suff. I am pretty sure Cobb didn't have the wits, or time to defend his totem.
Spoiler:
That's the idea, though. Saito claims his opportunity.
Old 07-17-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I actually do like this movie more the day after. Heh, still think the Bond/snow sequence should have been shortened, tho.
Old 07-17-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

For all the complaints about the "Bond" sequence, it does want to make me see a Nolan helmed "Bond."
Old 07-17-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody think that Mal was actually right? That her jumping off the ledge brought her back to reality and Cobb is still stuck in the dreamworld? I'm not sure how this meshes with the train killing them and all the rules and such...
Old 07-17-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Saw it tonight. Loved it.

Ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
I thought it was fairly clear that at the end, he's in reality. The key to this is the concept of Cobb's totem. We're told that it's the top, but really, that was his wife's totem. Cobb's actual totems are the faces of his children. The kids show up in all of his dreams, but he never sees their faces. Finally, at the end of the movie, he does see their faces. That's why, even though he spun the top, he doesn't need to look back at it to know that he's not dreaming. Nolan cuts to black as the top starts to wobble, which I think is a clue, but the point is that neither Cobb nor the audience needs to see the top fall to know that we're back in reality.

I'm not tagging because this is a review thread - be warned.

Thanks for articulating this. Their faces being shown had a big impact IMO, and seeing them for the first time makes me believe you are correct.

And Goat, I do believe he spun the top after seeing their faces.
Old 07-17-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Anybody think that Mal was actually right? That her jumping off the ledge brought her back to reality and Cobb is still stuck in the dreamworld? I'm not sure how this meshes with the train killing them and all the rules and such...
Spoiler:
Maybe they were in a multi-level dream? The deeper you go the slower time moves. It would be a valid explanation for them actually growing old in the dream. It would also explain why Cobb was so certain a multi-level dream wouldn't work: because his own mind couldn't handle it.
Old 07-17-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Spoiler:
Maybe they were in a multi-level dream? The deeper you go the slower time moves. It would be a valid explanation for them actually growing old in the dream. It would also explain why Cobb was so certain a multi-level dream wouldn't work: because his own mind couldn't handle it.
Spoiler:
I don't recall Cobb ever expressing doubts about a multi-level dream.

He spins the top before he sees the kids' faces. He spins it as soon as he walks in and sees the kids outside.
Old 07-17-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Had me riveted from beginning to end.

I'm with the
Spoiler:
the ending is reality
camp. The final shot really forces each person to have their own interpretation though.

As for why Fischer didn't recognize them at baggage claim,

Spoiler:
my take is that on the first level dream which is the one closest to reality, the only face he sees is Eames (forger) when he gets in the taxi. Dom and Arthur were wearing masks when they were interrogating him. He only sees everybody else's faces in the second level which I think is far enough from reality that he wouldn't recognize them in the real world.
Old 07-17-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
He washed up on the beach in a daze, and Saito's men grabbed him right away taking his suff. I am pretty sure Cobb didn't have the wits, or time to defend his totem.
All of these points are moot - you don't need to protect your totem IN THE DREAM WORLD. You could let anyone analyze it, touch it all they want in the DREAM WORLD - it's your tie to reality so only you can know the exact feel/weight etc. of the ACTUAL object... so unless Saito had access to Cobb's actual totem IN REALITY, would it matter later - but presumably he didn't. Access to the totem in the dream means fuck all.
Old 07-17-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Why was the 3rd dream not affected with gravity?
Old 07-17-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it and WOW, what a great fucking movie. I want to see it again, and will be buying the blu-ray, enough said.
Old 07-17-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have two problems with Nolan's movies

1. They often times feel like they're just plot plot plot, more plot, with a side order of plot. Not very much in the way of character moments, or at least not the type that I enjoy.

2. Because of how he uses music, mainly in Dark Knight and Inception, the movie feels like a constant sprint to the end. I told a friend that I've felt exhausted after every Nolan movie I've seen. Also, maybe it's the Hans Zimmer scores that feel like they're just on the edge of a razor for the duration of the movies, so the tension never lets up?

Still, for what he delivers, Nolan makes some really excellent movies. Inception wasn't as trippy as I thought it was going to be, but it was fun following along with the plot. The characters were a bit thin, but that was fine with me, as I still liked them all. The "rules" of inceptions and extractions, and the dream world at large, were really dense, but I found them to all be communicated clearly. I was never lost, just thoroughly engrossed in the movie. I wasn't alone, as the audience I saw it in was dead silent for the majority of the film.

The only real complaint I have, which is minor, is the third level stuff. To be a world made of dreams, I sort of wish the third level could have been a bit more imaginative. As it stands, that whole bit was kind of boring. That's funny, because it was surely meant to be the big action set piece, yet I found the fight with Arthur and the guard in no gravity to be the most thrilling sequence of the movie. After they were done fighting (Arthur is a bit of a badass) someone in the audience said "That was cool!" I couldn't have agreed more.

Really good movie. I would give it a B++, but would give the movie going experience an A.
Old 07-17-10, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Spoiler:
I was tired and got wrapped up in the details, but the point was you're not supposed to let someone touch your totem and yet Saito has it in his old man form. There's a really hard cut after he touches the gun, before Cobb wakes up, and I feel like a lot could have happened in there. It seems pretty clear, I think, that the last two minutes of the movie are a dream for some reason -- the kids wearing the same clothes, the light being the same, everything being perfect, etc. And in the real world, at the beginning, Saito shows he's a businessman, not their buddy.

The question is, who could Saito call? Why would Saito's word make a difference? I think it's easier to believe that Saito screwed over Cobb and his team than it is to believe Saito has enough leverage to phone up one person and solve all of Cobb's legal problems.
....he's a wealthy businessman. I'm pretty sure it could easily be done at his rank of wealth.
Old 07-17-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I'm definitely leaning towards this. I had seen the exploding street scene with Leo and Page before going to the movie last night, so I was extremely mindful of the whole 'in a dream, you never really know how you got somewhere.' From the beginning, I thought everything being shown was in a layer of a dream. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but it felt like any scene with Leo where he was in a new location, he seemed briefly out of sorts, as if he'd just arrived there. Same for some of the other characters. I kept waiting for a moment that felt like someone was truly awake and one never came. I'll have to see it again, but I think he's stuck in a dream his wife woke up from.
Old 07-17-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One thing we can all universally agree on: Ken Watanabe needs to stick with his native language. Seven years since he made his English language debut and he's still nearly unintelligible.
Old 07-17-10, 05:34 PM
Banned

I understood everything he said EXCEPT for one thing. And I blame the people laughing right before that. What did he say about buying a 747 or whatever plane it was?
Old 07-17-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I understood everything he said EXCEPT for one thing. And I blame the people laughing right before that. What did he say about buying a 747 or whatever plane it was?
He said he bought the airline.
Old 07-17-10, 06:08 PM
Banned

Oh so he bought the airline for the inception?
Old 07-17-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Oh so he bought the airline for the inception?
Yeah. It was a little comic relief and stressed how powerful and rich Saito is being able to buy an airline with out a second thought.
Old 07-17-10, 06:14 PM
Banned

see that was one of my conclusions as what I thought it may have been. Also adding that if Saito can buy an airline...it's easy for Saito to fix Cobb's issues.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-17-10 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 06:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Why was the 3rd dream not affected with gravity?
Because...um...stop asking questions, that's why.
Old 07-17-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Still formulating my thoughts about the movie. Right now we're looking at 4 / 5. Maybe a little higher, but I think that's an accurate rating for the most part. Any film that makes one think and analyze while still being entertained that much is always worthwhile in a popular culture filled with disposable junk. I'll admit the movie engaged me intellectually/philosophically more than it did dramatically, but what a brilliant execution of ideas.
Old 07-17-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My ranking of the Nolan films would be as follows:

5 -STAR
The Dark Knight
Memento

4.5 STAR
The Prestige
Batman Begins

4 STAR
Inception
Insomnia

I've never seen "The Following". But every Nolan film I've seen would rate 8 or higher on a 10 scale. The man has consistently been one of the smartest and most creative directors over the past decade.
Old 07-17-10, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd rank them this way:

5 Stars
The Dark Knight
Memento

4.5 Stars
The Prestige

4 Stars
Batman Begins

3.5 Stars
Inception
Insomnia
Old 07-17-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I've never seen "The Following". But every Nolan film I've seen would rate 8 or higher on a 10 scale. The man has consistently been one of the smartest and most creative directors over the past decade.
Yeah, I'd agree and that's why I probably nitpicked "Inception" so heavily. For me he's been a filmmaker who has always delivered an A-level movie, so "Inception" to me feels like a moderate disappointment, even though it's a solid B-movie.

My rankings for anyone who cares:

Following: Haven't seen.
Memento: 4.0/5.0 (A)
Insomnia: 3.5/5.0 (A-)
Batman Begins: 4.0/5.0 (A)
The Prestige: 5.0/5.0 (A+)
The Dark Knight: 5.0/5.0 (A+)
Inception: 3.0/5.0 (B)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.