Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
3.26%
4.35%
22.83%
34.78%
15.22%
8.70%
3.26%
1.09%
2.17%
0%
1.09%
No Arnold = No Sale!
3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Yeah I pretty much agree with most about twists and stuff, and I was ok with it... Good action (of course not as good as the first but pretty sure no one expected it) and I had a fun time with it. 8:30pm showing was packed so thats a good sign.
Old 07-09-10, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah..my theater was packed too. I was actually kinda surprised that there were kids at mine. I don't go out normally to see most mainstream R films...but there were some 12ish yr. olds at mine. They were surprisingly quiet.
Old 07-09-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they should have cast some weird skinny white guy in Larry Fish's role, someone who has played a kinda psycho before. IDK it just didnt seem right that he would be so "healthy" living on scraps. i think the guy (Brain Kransten?? he was the dad on Malcolm in the Middle too) from Breaking bad would have been great in that role and did it seem like Adrien Brody was doing his best to be Christan Bale?
Old 07-09-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Thought it was good, but not great. Definitely didn't kick my ass, but I wasn't really expecting it to do so. I think a lot of the praise this movie is getting has to do with the fact that is was not a failure of epic proportions like the previous outings. The twist was kind of lame. Not because one could see it coming, but because it really served no purpose. It was just there for the sake of being there and nothing else. Kudos for actually developing the characters. They weren't as interesting as the team in the original, but they weren't annoying people you just wanted to see get killed. Also, as he did in Justified, Walter Soggins stole every scene he had.
My only major gripe had to do with a technical aspect that may have been a result of the Digital projector my theater was using. A lot of scenes were really dark looking, especially those with the Predator creatures. One couldn't really see much detail.

Favorite moment:
Spoiler:
The Yakuza fighting the Predator. I really liked the fact that instead of the Predator making short work of the opponent, they actually made it a fight. I also liked that it ended in a draw with both biting it, but the Predator doing so first.
Old 07-09-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought this follow-up to "Predator" had a good start, but stumbles in the mid-section, and ends up a bit murky and felt like they were on a set filming the final act. The mid-section stumble just robs the film of its momentum, and didn't really add to the film.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 07-10-10, 12:06 AM

"Budget remake of Predator"

That's how I'd describe Predators. It doesn't pack the quality of action of the first two Predator movies and none of the predators felt like bad-asses. I don't get the feeling that they could take on any of the predators from the first two or even the two AvP ones.

Couple of gripes...
Spoiler:
LF's death sucked. The ultimate trophy for the predators, a man who evaded them for 10 seasons while killing 2-3 predators. And how does he die: caught unarmed in a tunnel. His body explodes, leaving nothing as a trophy.

The only reason for his character is a lame explanation the captured predator in the camp. And Pandorum did crazy background expo guy better.

Sword fight with yakuza. The predator looked slow when the panned the scene out.

And to reiterate, the predators were pussies. Using dogs to flush people out, laying traps, and using eyes in the sky are the kind of thing I'd expect from bush league guys. They're the equivalent of drunken Australian city boys versus the previous predators being serious big game hunters.
I did enjoy...
Spoiler:
The fire fight in the camp.
Convict knifing the predator.
Using Topher Grace as a booby trap and the predator poking him beforehand.
Old 07-10-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Predators was very entertaining. And that's just about it. I wasn't a fan of how they opened the film, with him falling right off the bat. It didn't feel subtle. It would have been much better in my opinion if they started off with a few opening credits with the sounds of him struggling in the air and then cut to him falling. The title card seemed unnaturally rushed as well. The characters worked for the story. I liked Stans, Edwin, Noland, Hanzo, and Nikolai quite a bit. I wasn't a fan of Royce or Isabelle, they were very droll characters. I really didn't see anything interesting or likable about them. The directing wasn't anything special, the acting was "meh", but the cinematography, costume design, action, effects and music were damn good.

Overall it's a fun movie but not on par with the original. Interesting concept with the "game preserve" aspect, although at times it seemed like the characters knew to much about the planet for having never been there.

74% (C) or 3 stars.

On a side note, the trailer for Piranha 3D played before the film, and the entire theater was laughing at the absurdity of the horrendous CGI, terrible acting and horribly dull and unoriginal plot.
Old 07-10-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

A B (3.0/5.0) from me. A well made movie, but it relies way too much on "Predator" and in the end, the actual action from the Predators was a bit "meh."
Old 07-10-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda liked Fishburne's crazy guy. He got a lot of laughs in my showing. I guess I was the only one who thought it was funny he was humming a bit of Ride Of The Valkyries.
Old 07-10-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I kinda liked Fishburne's crazy guy. He got a lot of laughs in my showing. I guess I was the only one who thought it was funny he was humming a bit of Ride Of The Valkyries.
yeah, that got a laugh from me (and a little nod to AP now, since he was in it too
Old 07-10-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know. Nice nod to LF's pedigree from Apocalypse Now.
Old 07-10-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, did anyone notice the continuity error when they reference the original movie? They say the country Dutch's team was in was Guatemala, instead of the classic fictional 80s country of Val Verde.
Old 07-10-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Whatever. At least they acknowledged it and not Predator 2.
Old 07-10-10, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gave a **** / ***** as fun/badass as last year's District 9.in fact it is one of the best genre sequels I've seen and a legit sequel, just like Aliens to Alien.

not that it was perfect, theres a few aspects that were annoying but the suspense and tone of it drew me in. somehow it felt like an 80s movie and had a lot of good ideas, some shouldn't have worked but did (the samurai battle). didnt have the sense of action/space as the first predator but was still well done

saying it is on the level of aliens might be overstating, I'd say it is more between the quality of aliens and alien IV (which I thought was really fun)

Last edited by CloverClover; 07-10-10 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-10-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Spoiler:
And Why did the sharp shooter girl know all about the events in the original film?
Spoiler:
She was privy to the Arnold's debrief from the first movie. I thought she said she was with the CIA early on (did she say "agency?" I can't remember)

I thought it was very solid all around. Basically a retelling of the first movie with different characters in a slightly different setting. The only problem is that we know everything about the Predators, so the beginning was just a wait for them to show up. That said, I think they did a good job building tension.

No real issues with anything they did. I watched the original recently, and while it's a fine movie, I'm glad they at least tried to add some layers to the story this time around. I thought the
Spoiler:
civil war between the Predators
was an interesting tidbit.
Old 07-10-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was a very good sequel to the original PREDATOR - this is the film that should have come out in 1990 instead of PREDATOR 2. This is certainly the direction that the Predator movies should go. At the end of the movie, surveys were handed out and from the questions, it seems like they were trying to get feedback if audiences like the Predator movies more by themselves or with the Aliens. Hopefully, people chose just the Predator films, because those Alien vs Predator movies are pretty sad flicks.

I'm hoping for the next Predator sequel is that they take it further and give some storyline and depth to these predators which are extremely interesting alien characters. Maybe in the next film, they can make a more epic film and have humans be taken to the predator society where there are bad predators and good predators. The best moments in all these predator films (including the Alien vs. ones) is during the quiet interaction moments between the humans and the predators when they aren't killing each other, when there is some moment of mutual respect. Those are the most interesting scenes.

I really can't see the next Predator film having the same scenario as the first and this film. It's too repetitive. And they know they can't do another Predator Comes to the City (Predator 2) or Predator Comes to the Burbs (Alien vs. Predator Requiem). I really hope they show the life of predators in the next film, maybe be similar to Apocalypto - hunted in the beginning, some captured, taken to their society, freed by the good predators, etc...

By the way, this film felt like PG-13 - it wasn't that violent or graphic.

What I liked about the film:
Spoiler:

1. The acting was surprisingly good from everyone. I was expecting bad acting from the Russian, Topher Grace, and Laurence, but they were all excellent. Grace and Laurence made the film fun and not dry. My audience was totally laughing and cheering during the Grace and Laurence scenes. The Russian guy was great as well.
2. The music fit perfectly with the first Predator film.
3. more Predators, and a bit more story about them such as why they mock people (the Danny Trejo bait scene), the nod to the first Predator film, and there is some sort of a civil war between predators
4. Two Jewish bad-asses in the lead and survive! (Brody the real jew and Braga playing the jew)
5. Adrien Brody is a totally awesome actor, and I would love to see him in more action films. He reminds me of Christain Bale in which they are great in anything they do whether it be drama or action.

What I didn't like:
Spoiler:

1. Most of the action scenes were too dark.
2. As someone else said, while the yakuza vs predator scene was great, it seemed that the predator was a bit slow, reminding me of Mongo from Blazing Saddles.
3. The predators seemed a bit laid back and not as quick or intense as in the other movies.
4. I didn't hate the predator dogs, but I thought it was funny that they looked like mini Brotherhood of the Wolf beasts.
5. I didn't like the scene where the humans stumble upon the other dead person's traps (the falling tree trunk, the shooting spikes), it was the most forced reference of how to kill a predator. It's not like Arnold marketed his method of "how to kill a predator" in a 12-step book after he survived.
Old 07-10-10, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I think they should have cast some weird skinny white guy in Larry Fish's role, someone who has played a kinda psycho before. IDK it just didnt seem right that he would be so "healthy" living on scraps. i think the guy (Brain Kransten?? he was the dad on Malcolm in the Middle too) from Breaking bad would have been great in that role and did it seem like Adrien Brody was doing his best to be Christan Bale?
That's the best idea I've ever heard

No sarcasm, that would be awesome.
Old 07-10-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I agree. The guy has proven he has serious dramatic ability. Who'd a thunk after MITM?

Q: same as with Bradley Cooper in A-Team, how did Brody get so friggin ripped? He's no Arnold by any means, but I could barely believe it when he took his shirt off and he looked like a brick shithouse.
Old 07-10-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this one last night. I thought it was good, not great. I'm not sure I'd put it above Predator 2, but it's certainly on par. My biggest gripe is that, for a film which is supposed to be the Aliens of the series, it managed to have less action than the first despite a larger cast of humans and Predators. And they hit so many notes from the original that it bordered on a remake. Even chunks of dialogue were ripped straight from Arnie's mouth. And the score was too similar for me, it felt recycled.

I don't get why Fishburne was in this. The only thing he was needed for was the mention of the Predator blood feud (which was a fantastic series from Dark Horse, btw), and that angle wasn't needed in this film. I expected someone as "badass" as he was to actually do something badass. Total waste of a character, and his scenes were easily the film's slowest.

I knew there was a twist for Topher, they make it obvious there will be, but I figured he was a doctor that the Predators agreed to keep alive for some purpose. Maybe he has a tracking beacon with him or something so that they always have an idea of where groups are headed. But a serial killer? That was terrible.

Predator vs. Samurai was awesome, period. Loved it.

Anyone else feel like Brody was more concerned with tightening his abs and flexing his newly-acquired muscle than almost anything else once his shirt was off?

I also wish that there had been some kind of alien that joined in with the group. The one they did show looked like a discarded Prawn from District 9, and it didn't add much to the story. I think they should have just stuck with the Predator hounds and maybe introduced alien races in another film, if at all.

When Braga talks about Dutch's experience earlier in the film and says that he was able to elude the Predator by covering himself in mud, why wouldn't everyone immediately do just that? Brody waits until the end and manages to find mud the exact shade of Arnie's in the first film.

I really liked the atmosphere, though. And I thought the new Predator designs were very cool, though we really should have seen more of them. The action was solid, when it was happening, and I enjoyed most of the actors. I hope this does well because I'd definitely be down for a sequel in this universe; I wonder what ideas Rodriguez has in mind.

I'd give this a 3.5/5
Old 07-10-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666

I'm hoping for the next Predator sequel is that they take it further and give some storyline and depth to these predators which are extremely interesting alien characters. Maybe in the next film, they can make a more epic film and have humans be taken to the predator society where there are bad predators and good predators. The best moments in all these predator films (including the Alien vs. ones) is during the quiet interaction moments between the humans and the predators when they aren't killing each other, when there is some moment of mutual respect. Those are the most interesting scenes.

I really can't see the next Predator film having the same scenario as the first and this film. It's too repetitive. And they know they can't do another Predator Comes to the City (Predator 2) or Predator Comes to the Burbs (Alien vs. Predator Requiem). I really hope they show the life of predators in the next film, maybe be similar to Apocalypto - hunted in the beginning, some captured, taken to their society, freed by the good predators, etc...

I have to agree and glad maybe that they'll get some feedback from fans as to what should be next. I also agree the Predator hunting in the jungle to burbs is out. I actually liked the plot in AVP with Predators, Aliens and Humans in the mix of survial. I like the part with Alexa Woods teaming with a Predator against all odds of making it out.

I think a good plot to a next movie would be something along that lines. Say a Predator ship taking a group of captured Humans back to their planet only to crash on another world where something far worse awaits them all. One by one Predators are eliminated leaving only three. Forced with the unknown and odds they release the Humans to help. With limited resources they use everything included the planet resources (mineral and biological) to help combat this new terror.
Old 07-10-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Oh, did anyone notice the continuity error when they reference the original movie? They say the country Dutch's team was in was Guatemala, instead of the classic fictional 80s country of Val Verde.
Spoiler:
I also remember Antal and Rodriguez saying "the original Predator" would be back. I didn't think much of it at the time but if the tied-up Predator is really meant to be the original, that would be a huge continuity error too, unless you believe that he warped out at the end before the explosion.
Old 07-10-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My thoughts...

Spoiler:
I thought it was ok....for some reason back when it was in production I remember hearing about a Super Predator.....If it was one in the fight at the fire camp, they both looked the same size, the "super" one just had a different face and better equipment I guess? I don't know, maybe I'll give it another viewing....but I could have sworn the Super Predator was supposed to be bigger and a real badass.
Old 07-10-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ He looked bigger to me...
Old 07-10-10, 02:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Spoiler:
I also remember Antal and Rodriguez saying "the original Predator" would be back. I didn't think much of it at the time but if the tied-up Predator is really meant to be the original, that would be a huge continuity error too, unless you believe that he warped out at the end before the explosion.
I think they meant the original design Predator, not the same exact character.
Old 07-10-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I think they meant the original design Predator, not the same exact character.
Same here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.