Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man, what has gotten into Pixar??? (Massive spoiler discussion, esp. Toy Story 3)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Man, what has gotten into Pixar??? (Massive spoiler discussion, esp. Toy Story 3)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Their movies get more and more sad and morbid with each film.

* Finding Nemo: Coral dies and all the eggs but one are eaten.
* The Incredibles: Bob is miserable in middle age.
* Wall-E: Wall-E "lives" a sad, isolated existence for the first 20 minutes with only an old B&W movie to comfort him.
* Up: Haven't seen but I'm told the old man is living a lonely existence.
* Toy Story 3: EDIT: I GOT FOOLED.

Ok I got trolled hard on TS3. But the rest are for real. The first 2 Toy Storys, Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. were nothing like this. What happened to them?

Last edited by Traxan; 06-20-10 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-20-10, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Man, what has gotten into Pixar??? (Massive spoiler discussion, esp. Toy Story 3)

I take it you haven't seen Toy Story 3 either?
Old 06-20-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Man, what has gotten into Pixar??? (Massive spoiler discussion, esp. Toy Story 3)

Originally Posted by Traxan
Their movies get more and more sad and morbid with each film.

* Finding Nemo: Coral dies and all the eggs but one are eaten.
* The Incredibles: Bob is miserable in middle age.
* Wall-E: Wall-E "lives" a sad, isolated existence for the first 20 minutes with only an old B&W movie to comfort him.
* Toy Story 3: Andy has cancer, dies, is buried with Woody.

!??!!?!!?

Um....which movie did you watch?
Old 06-20-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep I screwed up on TS3. I read what I thought was a spoiler and got suckered.
Old 06-20-10, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen many other classic Disney films? Bambi, Old Yeller, Dumbo all come to mind. There are others.
Old 06-20-10, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

But the rest are for real. The first 2 Toy Storys, Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. were nothing like this. What happened to them?
A Bug's Life - The Ants are slaves to Grasshoppers who threaten to kill some of the them if they don't get their allotment of food. Also...
Spoiler:
Hopper is eaten alive.

Toy Story - Buzz has a mental problem that makes him think he is the real Buzz Lightyear and upon learning the truth, shuts out the outside world. Woody is a jealous toy and plots to "lose" Buzz but instead actually loses Buzz in the outside. The other toys form a lynch mob and not only accuse Woody of "murder" but call for an eye for an eye.

Toy Story 2 - "When She Loved Me:" Jessie is abandoned at a thrift store drop off zone after her owner outgrew her. This leaves Jessie with a fear of further abandonment and mental damage. Yes, it's a toy but in this world, it has a soul and a heart.
Spoiler:
Stinky Pete also ends up with a girl who tortures toys.

Monster's Inc. - A little girl is kidnapped, held hostage, and will be forced to scream. There was also the homage to a Merry Melodies short that implied death in the most excruciating fashion. Mikey also takes it multiple times in his "groin."

So obviously you were not paying attention to those either.

Oh, and Wall-E was never alone on Earth: He had a pet cockroach which he loved. In fact, he freaked out when he thought he ran the roach over which means Wall-E understands death. Wall-E also protects the roach from Eve's explosive gun arm. This relationship allows Wall-E to actually fall in love with Eve and why Wall-E watches the movie. The roach is his friend but he wants a companion who can hold his hand.

Last edited by emachine12; 06-20-10 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-20-10, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

One more thing... Stop listening to people and watch the darn movie first. He doesn't live a lonely existence.

Spoiler:

There is a wonderful montage of full and happy life in four minutes at the beginning.

This is the groundwork not for loneliness but devotion, love, and happiness.
Old 06-20-10, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

1) It takes place in the far future. Any movie would have been "old," even AVATAR.

2) It's not a b&w movie, it's HELLO, DOLLY! (1969), which was in color. And it's the songs in it that comfort him. And he watches it not on DVD, not on Blu-ray, not on a hard drive, but on VHS!
Old 06-20-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And he watches it not on DVD, not on Blu-ray, not on a hard drive, but on VHS!
Ok.
Old 06-20-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 06-20-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 432 Posts

The exalted celebration of hardcore ignorance in this thread is such the perfect microcosm of the Internet, I could eat my own face. Viva Chiba!
Old 06-20-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe the name Disney is Hebrew for "bittersweet tearjerker".
Old 06-20-10, 10:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is it that almost every Disney character has a dead or missing parent? Easy sympathy, that's why.
Old 06-20-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I believe the name Disney is Hebrew for "bittersweet tearjerker".
I'm pretty sure Disney isn't Hebrew for anything, if Walt had anything to say about it.
Old 06-20-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 179 Posts

Thank goodness someone quoted the original post, I'd hate to be left out of what the OP was talking about.
Old 06-20-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Where in the world did he read that kind of spoiler for Toy Story 3? That's so far from what happened it's amazing.
Old 06-20-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm pretty sure Disney isn't Hebrew for anything, if Walt had anything to say about it.
That was the joke.
Old 06-20-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel
That was the joke.
Are you intimating the 1955 B'nai B'rith Man of the Year was an anti-Semite?
Old 06-21-10, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
well they certainly passed up an opportunity for a potato pancake gag in favor of pandering to the Hispanic community
Old 06-21-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm imagining Woody banging on the coffin lid for all eternity. "Let me out! Let me out!"
Old 06-21-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
I'm imagining Woody banging on the coffin lid for all eternity. "Let me out! Let me out!"
No way. He'd construct an escape plan, collecting the gas from Andy's rotting corpse and using it as a crude but effective propellant.
Old 07-04-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
!??!!?!!?

Um....which movie did you watch?
Oh man, that's the funniest 'spoiler' I've seen all day.
Old 07-05-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Lateralus
And I was told he died in a drug shootout. Last time I'm listening to the Internet!
Old 07-05-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's classical storytelling. Something that Dreamworks, even after umpteen movies, can't seem to grasp.
Old 07-05-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the cancer version of the movie at a test screening. They should have stuck to their guns.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.