Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it tonight and I really enjoyed it. Loved the immediacy of the street art footage, and was accepting it as a straight found footage doc up until the last quarter of the movie. And I'd love to hear from those who might know more about this than me...

Spoiler:
I'd really like to know whether or not this was a hoax by Banksy or not. As Thierry finished his cut of the film, and was inspired to become an artist, I turned to my wife and said, "That's just not how artists start." Even though he was having other people fabricate mass amounts of screen prints, paintings, etc... it didn't ring true that he would mortgage his business and jump into art this way.

Then as the film wound up, it seemed too convenient to have Thierry become this metaphor for unoriginality and commerce co-opting a scene.

Good shit to think about, and funny too.
Old 05-30-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Exit Through the Gift Shop

I plan on seeing this tomorrow. I've been hearing a lot of word of mouth on this film.
Old 05-30-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it a few weeks ago, and thought it was great. I see the street art all through out LA. It's nice to see the origin and artists who make it happen.
Old 05-30-10, 10:57 AM

This was enormously entertaining and whether it was a "mockumentary" or not, the points scored were funny and valid.
Old 05-30-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I can't wait to see this as well.
Old 06-14-10, 11:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
Saw it tonight and I really enjoyed it. Loved the immediacy of the street art footage, and was accepting it as a straight found footage doc up until the last quarter of the movie. And I'd love to hear from those who might know more about this than me...

Spoiler:
I'd really like to know whether or not this was a hoax by Banksy or not. As Thierry finished his cut of the film, and was inspired to become an artist, I turned to my wife and said, "That's just not how artists start." Even though he was having other people fabricate mass amounts of screen prints, paintings, etc... it didn't ring true that he would mortgage his business and jump into art this way.

Then as the film wound up, it seemed too convenient to have Thierry become this metaphor for unoriginality and commerce co-opting a scene.

Good shit to think about, and funny too.
I thought the film was highly entertaining, but also quite maddening

Spoiler:
in that Thierry became more of a complete self absorbed douche - with all the subjects of his documentary footage essentially turning on him at the very end of the film

question though, what or how was Thierry making money, running around all the time with a camera, in my mind is not a source of income - I'm surprised his wife wasn't more miffed or angry with him over his obsession.
Old 07-21-10, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[everybody should see this film without spoilers or advance conceit. my attempt at a review has been written with this in mind].

I'm not sure how much I bought into everything with this film, it's all a little vague and I preferred it that way. It's subversive, unnerving and original, I'll give it that. Oh, and its also riotously funny.
Old 09-06-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everyone should see this documentary. i'm not sure whether or not its all a hoax. regardless it's genius.
Old 10-10-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Banksy directed the opening of "The Simpsons" tonight. It's pretty funny. The last joke just kills me.

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DX1iplQQJTo?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DX1iplQQJTo?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>
Old 10-10-10, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really want to know what the reaction of your average Simpsons viewer was to that. Incredibly ballsy.
Old 10-11-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That Simpsons intro is a lame attempt at "edgy social commentary."
Old 10-11-10, 12:22 AM
Banned by request

Well everyone I know that I've shown it to has been quite impressed and genuinely shocked, so I'd say it worked.
Old 10-11-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I thought it was funny, love the unicorn.
Old 12-21-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Just watched this via Netflix instant streaming. Very entertaining, though it does lay it on a bit thick in the last 30 minutes. That's when it got really funny, too, though.
Old 12-21-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That Simpsons opening is incredible.
Old 12-21-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I received a review copy of this the other day. Looking forward to checking it out. I like some of his art.
Old 12-21-10, 09:21 PM

Just watched it on Netflix, thought the first half was riveting and that it just hit the wall when Banksy actually got involved. He tried so hard to make a joke out of the whole thing that, when he succeeded, I still felt cheated from a more complete look at the street art that Guetta's tapes provided. I kind of ended up neutral on the whole thing, which was a shame.
Old 12-23-10, 02:44 AM
Banned by request

Finally sat down and watched this. Somehow I managed to miss all the spoilers, and ended up fascinated. I don't see how much of it could be a hoax, as Mr. Brainwash is an actual artist, and if that's how he wants to always be remembered, well, that's certainly taking a prank to a whole other level.

Or, if he isn't an actual artist, than Banksy has made a film about a fictional person who is taking credit for real street art that I've seen in Los Angeles. Again, seems unlikely to me. Then again, who knows?

Last edited by Supermallet; 12-23-10 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-25-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my favorite movies of the year (thanks Netflix streaming!). A friend hipped me to this and at first I balked a little thinking it was going to be another doc about graffiti artists. Saw some amazing art along with the funny vibe. Definitely recommend.
Old 12-26-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched this the other night on Netflix streaming with my partner. We both agreed that at the point Thierry turns "artist" it ceases to feel like a documentary, because he stops feeling like a person and starts feeling like a character. Regardless, I really enjoyed it for the most part even if it is a hoax. It'd just be a shame if this were to win Best Documentary at the Oscars if it is a hoax, but then again, maybe that's what Banksy was going for.
Old 12-26-10, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny. In the thread about Catfish I said I thought it was fake right from the start. I never once considered any of Exit fake. Making me think about it now.
Old 12-26-10, 12:59 PM
Banned by request

I didn't think Exit was fake either until I read online that some people were questioning its authenticity. I hope it's real, because if it is, it's one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" type of stories.
Old 01-14-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking to see if it is true or not. Or at least how many liberties were taken. There is this video with producer Jaimie D' Cruz, editor Chris King. Watch all of it, in a rush go to the 28:40 mark.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/mcnvideos/videos/261/

I checked and they are the people listed as being involved. No pictures attached so there is that. When trying to check the veracity of something it is interesting how quickly all things start to look questionable.

What is proof here?
Is Thierry an actual functioning artist or is he part of a hoax?
Was it actually true to a point and then Banksy helped set the rest of it in motion?
Was it a hoax from the beginning?

Looking around for answers myself.
Old 01-14-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

June 18th, 2008 is the original show in LA.
Called "Life is Beautiful."

Advertising for original show. Trying to access the www.artshow2008.com website does nothing. And it redirects to ...

http://obeygiant.com/headlines/mr-br...ful-exhibition

BBC video of Mr. Brainwash appearing in London in May of 2010. Thierry makes an appearance.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ca/8548779.stm

Many Flickr pcitures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dyroza/...797390/detail/
Old 01-14-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Here's what the artshow2008.com site looked like in June 2008:
http://web.archive.org/web/200806132...beautiful.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.