Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TRON: ARES (2025, D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TRON: ARES (2025, D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-24, 03:49 AM

Received 4,996 Likes on 3,381 Posts
Re: TRON: ARES (2025, D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
milo bloom (08-10-24), Why So Blu? (08-10-24)
Old 08-10-24, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Noice!
Old 08-11-24, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,461 Likes on 1,070 Posts

No matter how the movie turns out, I’ll very likely be buying the soundtrack.
Old 08-11-24, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 616 Posts

I wonder if they'll also issue a 15th anniversary re-release of the TRON: Legacy soundtrack next year.
Old 08-14-24, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 496 Likes on 340 Posts

D23 trailer:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tron/commen...iler_arranged/

This looks really iffy to me, so far.
Old 08-14-24, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It left me indifferent. About the only thing I liked seeing was Jeff Bridges (who I assume will have even less screen time than Harrison Ford in Blade Runner 2049) at the end. The Grid crossed with the real world doesn't look as cool as we're apparently supposed to think.

By the way, did Jared Leto film this in tandem with Morbius? And was Cillian Murphy not available to reprise his uncredited cameo as Ed Dillinger, Sr? Cos, although I like Evan Peters, at first I thought he was Steve Carell at the beginning of the trailer, instead of his introduction as Julian Dillinger.
Old 08-14-24, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It left me indifferent. About the only thing I liked seeing was Jeff Bridges (who I assume will have even less screen time than Harrison Ford in Blade Runner 2049) at the end. The Grid crossed with the real world doesn't look as cool as we're apparently supposed to think.

By the way, did Jared Leto film this in tandem with Morbius? And was Cillian Murphy not available to reprise his uncredited cameo as Ed Dillinger, Sr? Cos, although I like Evan Peters, at first I thought he was Steve Carell at the beginning of the trailer, instead of his introduction as Julian Dillinger.
Morbius was shot in Feb of 2019. Tron Ares was began principal photography January of this year.
Old 08-16-24, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Would have made sense to bring back Quorra and Sam if the plot is about programs entering the real world. It's a shame Disney pulled the plug on Kosinski's Tron 3 a few months before they were due to film.

I assume moving focus to this Ares character was done to create a star vehicle for Leto. Feels like he's been attached for a decade (back when his career still had some heat from the Oscar win). He's hardly a bankable lead and it's a pity he didn't at least shave for this role... the trailer gave me Morbius flashbacks.

Last edited by joe_b; 08-16-24 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-16-24, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joe_b
Would have made sense to bring back Quorra and Sam if the plot is about programs entering the real world. It's a shame Disney pulled the plug on Kosinski's Tron 3 a few months before they were due to film.
Why did they pull the plug? (And how did the success of Top Gun: Maverick not get them to reverse their decision?) I TL didn't set the box office ablaze, but I would have been far more interested in a follow up to to that flick than this standalone sequel. Heck, the inclusion of Bridges here seems like a desperation play.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by joe_b
it's a pity he didn't at least shave for this role... the trailer gave me Morbius flashbacks.
Thank you. And I only endured the trailers for that.
Old 08-16-24, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Why did they pull the plug? (And how did the success of Top Gun: Maverick not get them to reverse their decision?)
Probably because Disney was about to release The Force Awakens and got cold feet about investing in a pricey sequel to a film that was only a modest hit.

The Ares character was supposedly in that original version (as a supporting character) and Leto passed on it. He said he's a big fan of Tron, but must have wanted a bigger role. I doubt he had enough sway to get the studio to abandon Kosinski's version, but claimed Disney later reached out to him with the idea of reworking the story and making him the lead.

I don't know what finally got the wheels rolling, but it's ironic that it happened after Kosinski had such a huge success with the Top Gun sequel. You'd think trying to woo him back as director would've been a bigger priority than keeping a nonstarter like Leto attached after all this time. Hell, it's hard to grasp most of the decisions the Disney execs have made these last few years.

Last edited by joe_b; 08-16-24 at 08:38 AM.