Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fright Night remake (Gillespe) - News, rumors, cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fright Night remake (Gillespe) - News, rumors, cast

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fright Night remake (Gillespe) - News, rumors, cast

Well, this looks terrible, but as usual, if it gets us a Blu of the original (& maybe the sequel) then it's ok by me.
Old 07-26-11, 07:47 PM

I can't believe this is finally coming out and not so sure how I feel about it at this point. You never know if they are going to ruin a remake or not.
Old 07-26-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not like the first film is a classic. I'm sure this will be comparable in almost every respect and looks like it could actually be better than the original.
Old 07-26-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'll be disagreeing with that. I think the original is great. One of my top 10 horror movie favorites.

Oh, and yes, this looks like a turd.
Old 07-27-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll see it during a matinee. I like Farrell and Tennant. The original is a decent movie, but I'm not as appalled as some others that they're remaking it.
Old 08-11-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this last night at an advance screening.

Let me start by saying that I haven't seen the original so I can't compare the two, but I really dug the remake, mainly for Colin Farrell and David Tennant. They were damn near perfect in their roles. The rest of the cast was just kinda...there. The movie was a tad predictable. The 3D and CGI (although a tad spotty in parts) was much better than I was expecting and I really liked the end credits. Overall I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 08-11-11 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 02:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is Tennant actually in this for a good portion of the film?
Old 08-11-11, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Saw this last night at an advance screening.

Let me start by saying that I haven't seen the original so I can't compare the two, but I really dug the remake, mainly for Colin Farrell and David Tennant. They were damn near perfect in their roles. The rest of the cast was just kinda...there. The movie was a tad predictable. The 3D and CGI (although a tad spotty in parts) was much better than I was expecting and I really liked the end credits. Overall, I would give it a 7 out of 10.
Originally Posted by Groucho
Does David tell everyone to run at least once? I'm hearing more that one person mention the credits does this mean stay after or is something going on during the credits?

I am so going day one, maybe even a midnight showing..
Old 08-11-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
More than I was expecting him to be. A serviceable amount to say the least.

Originally Posted by draven31
Does David tell everyone to run at least once? I'm hearing more that one person mention the credits does this mean stay after or is something going on during the credits?

I am so going day one, maybe even a midnight showing..
Actually, I don't recall him telling anyone to run. Not sure about an after credits scene, as the ending of the movie didn't seem like something that would need an additional scene. There isn't really anything going on during the credits, just the credits in general were pretty cool.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 08-11-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:55 PM

I thought they would surely release a BD of the original film to capitalize on the remake, but I haven't heard anything about it....that's what I really want.
Old 08-12-11, 11:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Caught a screening last night at the Drafthouse. As a vampire movie on its own, it holds up okay. For those of you who like/love the original, prepared to be disaapointed. So many changes from the original that this movie probably could have been called something else. Farrell and Tennant are good though. Anton Yelchin and Toni Collette do decent service to the roles. Didn't walk out hating it, but forgot about it as soon as I left. I guess slightly better than most remakes.

Spoiler:
The cameo by Chris Sarandon was pretty funny though.

And the 3D post-conversion was absolute garbage.
Old 08-12-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not post-converted, it was shot in 3D.

http://collider.com/fright-night-edit-bay-recap/90739/
Old 08-12-11, 03:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Still looked like shit. The credits looked good in 3D, but the bad CGi'd blood and sparks looked terrible. A couple of gags, things flying at the camera, and that's it. This did not need to be shot in 3D.

Last edited by E Unit; 08-12-11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the 3D was really well executed - some of the darker scenes don't pop like they should, but overall it was worthwhile (even though Final Destination 5 outdoes it on the 3D front). I really loved the original growing up, and this paid enough 'respect' to the original while changing a shit ton of it to 'modernize' the film....and I'm cool with it. The flick is well paced, even if the first act is a bit clunky due to coming out with the vampire stuff awfully fast, but once it gets going, I had a ton of fun. Farrell is chewing the scenery from the word go, and I really liked his performance. Anton Yelchin usually bugs the shit out of me, but he was fine here...and finally when we get the new school Peter Vincent, I was completely digging it with a great performance from David Tennant.

This isn't a complete rehash of the original and I appreciated that they didn't try to do the same thing that one did - because that would have been a disappointment, but by changing quite a bit, they've made a funhouse thrill ride that I got a kick out of. 4/5
Old 08-19-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason Bailey (***): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51892/fright-night-2011/
Me (***): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51939/fright-night-2011/
Old 08-19-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I thought they would surely release a BD of the original film to capitalize on the remake, but I haven't heard anything about it....that's what I really want.
Maybe it will get released around the time the remake hits home video.

The original was a fun film. I saw it back in 1985 and enjoyed it a great deal. The old DVD is really not adequate, so I hope a BD will see the light of day before too long. If it doesn't happen when the remake comes to BD, we can probably forget it.
Old 08-20-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the 3d was actually pretty damn good, the sparks were actually pretty cool, and I don't seem to be in the minority here. People here and the critics in general are liking the 3d. I really enjoyed the movie and haven't seen the original so I can't compare the 2 but it was pretty fun. And the 2 for me that really made the movie were Ferrel and Mintz-Plasse. Although he did fairly well, I wasn't too thrilled with the main character, he was pretty much the exact same character as Shia in Disturbia I thought.
Old 08-20-11, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw it based solely on the good reviews it's been getting, but went in with lower than average expectations. Really liked it, appreciated that it wasn't PG13, and never felt the movie insulted my intelligence by having characters do stupid things to put themselves in jeopardy (looking at you, Final Destination, Piranha). We should support good R-rated horror.
Old 08-20-11, 12:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw it last night and I really liked it. The cast is the reason to see it. You can tell they're all having fun, especially Farrell and Tennant.

The 3D was fine as far as the effects went, but I saw it using the "XpanD" system, which I've never heard of, and it was awful. Way, way too dark, glasses were super heavy and dirty as hell. Guess I'm spoiled by IMAX 3D, which is much brighter.
Old 08-20-11, 04:45 PM

Saw it today. I like how Farrell played it very much and Tennant was just as good. They are the reasons to see this movie. The writing was just poor in places
Spoiler:
one instance: the fact that Vegas is a great place to camo due to the high transient pop. and nightlife cover for sleeping all day but he instead starts killing all around him being totally obvious. And then he brags about how he's survived 400 yrs and isn't stupid.
and lots of fun in others. It was uneven for me but worth it for Tennant and Farrell.

In my theater the 3D made it too dark. I would have been happier seeing it in 2D.
Old 08-22-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I was actually up for seeing either this or Conan this weekend, but every theater near me was only showing them in 3D. This is the first time I never had the option of choosing a 2D screening, so I saw Planet of the Apes instead.

The original Fright Night is one of my favorite movies, but I'd seen the 3D trailer for the remake and wasn't impressed -- certainly not enough to pay the premium. Hopefully this will make it to the second run theater in 2D. Given the weekend box office, that might happen sooner than I expected.
Old 08-23-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if I ever saw the original, but this remake was visually dark and bland, though there are flashes of fun with the vampire genre, the film just felt slow and stuck in quicksand at times, and the plot jumps never felt organic or naturally developed.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 08-25-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it this afternoon, in 2D. I really enjoyed it.

Farrell and Tennant looked like they were both having a good time with the roles. Yelchin did an alright job as Charley. I'll pick it up on BR when it comes out.

Spoiler:
The Chris Sarandon cameo got a nice reaction from the crowd
Old 08-26-11, 06:37 PM

Am I missing something here?? Everyone seems to like this.
I saw an advanced screening about a month before the release and was extremely disappointed in the acting and the script. I'll have to see the original.
Old 08-26-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It wasn't high art, you either enjoyed it or you didn't.

I dug the first hour, it was kind of like a tamer Superbad with vampires - funny, likable and well paced. Once they got to
Spoiler:
the showdown in the Vegas suite
it got stupid, fast.

Still enjoyed it in spots.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.