Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Line Cinema to revive Police Academy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Line Cinema to revive Police Academy

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: New Line Cinema to revive Police Academy (Paul Maslansky to Produce)

Originally Posted by Chew
I hope Steve Guttenberg isn't busy.
Old 03-05-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Can a Porkys's remake be far behind?
Already happening. Howard Stern's production company is behind it.
Old 03-05-10, 03:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

this, on a double bill with the remake of "Arthur", and i am in heaven!
Old 03-05-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I smell failure all the way. I hate when they touch the classic movies. What next the Naked Gun series?
Old 03-05-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, marriage is a sacred institution. So tell me, you and the wife do it doggie-style, or what?
Old 03-05-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seen them all, the first 6 in their theatrical releases! I think Moscow might've been DTV.

I loved 1, 2, & 5. The rest were stupid, but still fun.

Ready for the remake!
Old 03-06-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We called Steve Guttenberg about this and he just left a voicemail on my colleague's phone. So we'll talk to him on Monday. And I'm also talking to Michael Winslow the same day. Will be interesting to get their thoughts.
Old 03-06-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I smell failure all the way. I hate when they touch the classic movies. What next the Naked Gun series?
I don't think I've ever seen someone refer to "Police Academy" as "classic".
Old 03-06-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 5 and 7 are the weak links. The first one has fun characters and three classic scenes. 2,3,4 and 6 are pretty fun, but not really all that hilarious.
Old 03-06-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I don't think I've ever seen someone refer to "Police Academy" as "classic".
I think the first one meats the definition of "classic", at least when used in the phrase "classic 80s comedy."

I just made a reference to this film the other day. A co-worker and I walked by this new contract security guard in our building. I turned to my co-worker and told him that the guard was like a male version of "Hooks" from Police Academy.
Old 03-06-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

I love the PA movies as much as anyone but Hollywood needs to get off the sequel/remake wagon
Old 03-06-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
I love the PA movies as much as anyone but Hollywood needs to get off the sequel/remake wagon
Oddly, I think this proposed sequel/reboot is the first one of these announcements of this type in quite awhile I think is a good idea.
Old 06-24-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Since Shaq is being offered the role of Hightower:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CIaWo-BlBjs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoiler:
Yes, I'm aware that Bubba Smith was a football player.
Old 06-24-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Even though they're rebooting the franchise (right?), they might want to consider at least bringing back G.W. Bailey as Lt. Harris. He doesn't look that much older than when he was in the original versions.

Also: if they wrangle Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill to be in it-- most likely as pot smoking man-children cops--I won't watch it under any circumstances.
Old 06-24-12, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't like these films. I watched them and chuckled a bit as a kid but as an adult they just don't attract me.

just something about it. i don't know how this could work today. Though...maybe it can.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-24-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

This is the latest update on the movie from Deadline.com

They hired the writer of The Break Up to script the reboot

EXCLUSIVE: The Break-Up scribe Jeremy Garelick has come aboard New Line’s reboot of the Police Academy franchise that launched in the 1980s and spanned seven films through the mid-’90s. The comedy, once again produced by Paul Maslansky, picks up the tale of a group of bumbling police recruits. David Diamond and David Weissman wrote the most recent draft.

Garelick, who did extensive rewrites on The Hangover, is separately rewriting Sick Day for Universal and Imagine. He’s attached to direct that film. Police Academy will be directed by Scott Zabielski, who’s making his feature debut after helming TV episodes that include Tosh.O. Garelick’s repped by UTA and Principato-Young, while Zabielski is repped by UTA and Underground.
Old 06-24-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I would have immediately said this was going to fail before I saw 21 Jump Street. Now, I'm not so sure as 21 Jump Street was pretty damn amazing.
Old 06-24-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
i don't like these films. I watched them and chuckled a bit as a kid but as an adult they just don't attract me.
I remember you saying movies like Back to the Future didn't appeal to you as a kid, either. I'm surprised you'd even watch 80s comedies considered at the bottom of the scale like the Police Academy movies.
Old 06-24-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to be very disappointed if, for some PC reason, the Blue Oyster bar doesn't make an appearance.
Old 06-24-12, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I remember you saying movies like Back to the Future didn't appeal to you as a kid, either. I'm surprised you'd even watch 80s comedies considered at the bottom of the scale like the Police Academy movies.
if it was the only thing on...I'd watch it. You've no fucking idea how many times I've seen the Police Academy film that's in Russia as a kid. i think TBS had it on a lot during some time frames in the summer. And well..sometimes..it was the only thing on, man.
Old 06-24-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
if it was the only thing on...I'd watch it. You've no fucking idea how many times I've seen the Police Academy film that's in Russia as a kid. i think TBS had it on a lot during some time frames in the summer. And well..sometimes..it was the only thing on, man.
I understand. There were fewer channels back then.

That's the last one, made in 1994, which, is arguably the weakest in the series (although I still enjoy it, if not for the Jordan/Bird McDonald's parody in the beginning with Lassard and Ron Perlman as the villain).

All of the movies have spotlights here and there. I grew up on them, I've lost count how many times I've seen all of them. The first one, now that I'm older, has become my favorite since I get all of the adult humor that went over my head as a kid.
Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm going to be very disappointed if, for some PC reason, the Blue Oyster bar doesn't make an appearance.
For people that still remember the series, the Blue Oyster Bar is the gag everyone remembers.

One thing I didn't know is that Mouser, who was the Capt. Harris of Police Academy 2 and 3, is now permanently confined to a wheelchair. He fell off a ladder after Police Academy 3 which is why they brought back G.W. Bailey.
Old 06-24-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I just watched the entire series a couple of months back. With the exception of Mission to Moscow, I still enjoyed all of them. I'd give a remake a shot.
Old 06-25-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not just get the original surviving cast together and make a sequel? Why all these reboots?
Old 06-26-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Why not just get the original surviving cast together and make a sequel? Why all these reboots?
I'm not even clear on what this is. Wasn't it said that they're trying to get back as many people from the earlier films as possible? That sounds more like a new sequel than a reboot, at least if I'm interpreting the meaning of "reboot" correctly.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't try to find a bunch of new actors to play the same roles (except for a few replacements for departed actors like Shaq as Hightower, which is actually pretty inspired casting considering his real-life police experience). If they were to have an all-new cast, it should have all-new recruits.
Old 04-05-14, 02:17 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, best known for sketch comedy show Key & Peele, have signed on to produce New Line Cinema's Police Academy reboot.

Original producer Paul Maslansky is back for the new iteration, which aims to remake the seven-film comedy series about a ragtag group of police recruits who repeatedly are called to help save the city. Sam Brown is overseeing for New Line.

The first film, released in 1984 by Warner Bros., starred Steve Guttenberg as Mahoney, the group's leader. The last film in the series was 1994's Mission to Moscow. The series grossed a combined $242 million worldwide and spawned a pair of TV series.

A reboot of Police Academy has been set up for several years at New Line. First-time director Scott Zabielski, who was attached to the project in 2012, is no longer on board to helm the film.

When The Hollywood Reporter first wrote about the attempt to revive the franchise in 2010, Maslansky said he aimed to completely recast the film with up-and-comers.

"It's going to be very worthwhile to the people who remember it and to those who saw it on TV," Maslansky told THR. "It's going to be a new class. We hope to discover new talent and season it with great comedians. It'll be anything but another movie with a numeral next to it. And we'll most probably retain the wonderful musical theme."

While there's no official word on whether Key and Peele would star in the film, their brand of comedy could be a good fit. The duo, who have starred on the Comedy Central show since Jan. 31, 2012, are both former castmembers of MADtv. Key & Peele's third season premiered on September 18, 2013, and the show has been renewed for a fourth season. They'll soon appear as FBI partners on four episodes of FX's limited series Fargo.

Key and Peele are both repped by UTA and Principato Young Entertainment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...academy-693880

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.