Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

She's Out Of My League-March 12th

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Red Band Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGzzY6l1m28

http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/2010_...gueTrailer.php
She's Out Of My League" - In the R-rated comedy "She's Out Of My League," Kirk, an average Joe, can't believe his luck. Though he's stuck in a seemingly dead-end job as an airport security agent, against all odds, Molly, a successful and outrageously gorgeous babe, has fallen for him. Not only is Kirk stunned, but his friends, family and his ex-girlfriend, too. Now he has to figure out how to make the relationship work, even though he'd be the first to admit she's totally out of his league. Jay Baruchel stars as Kirk - and can also be seen in the 2010 big screen release "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and heard in "How To Train Your Dragon."

CAST: Jay Baruchel, Alice Eve
DIRECTOR: Jim Field Smith
STUDIO: Paramount Pictures
RATING: R (For language, nudity, sexual situations)
THEATER COUNT (Opening Weekend): TBD
RUNNING TIME: 92 minutes
I was able to see this movie last week early, pretty good staring role for Jay Barachel, a couple of the guys from cloverfield are in this as well(TJ Miller, Mike Vogel). Very funny light hearted good movie in the same vein as I Love You Man was last spring. I hope it does well.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-13-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: She's Out Of My League-March 12th

Looks pretty funny.

That girl doesn't look like a 10 though, even for a normal non-celebrity girl.
Old 02-13-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

She looks like a cross between Ali Larter and Reese Witherspoon.
Movie looks pretty good.
Old 02-13-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like Jay, so I'll prob go see this. The trailer was funnier than I anticipated.
Old 03-09-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this tonight...funny in parts but so cliche and predictable. Trust me, you will have no trouble figuring out how the whole movie plays out. Now if the movie was flat-out hilarious, I could forgive the movie for not being original. However, while there are laughs, there are not nearly enough of them to justify seeing something so stale. The whole cast is good, the movie is pleasant enough, but there just isn't anything that truly stands out about it. I would give it 2/4.
Old 03-10-10, 12:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't laugh once in the trailer, so unless there's copious amounts of nudity, I'm not interested.
Old 03-10-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was wondering when Sarah Wright got the new rack that was displayed in the trailer, then I find out that the hottie is played by Alice Eve, not Sarah Wright. They could play sisters easily, though Alice has blue eyes, while Sarah has brown eyes.

Last edited by Patman; 03-10-10 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I saw this tonight...funny in parts but so cliche and predictable. Trust me, you will have no trouble figuring out how the whole movie plays out. Now if the movie was flat-out hilarious, I could forgive the movie for not being original. However, while there are laughs, there are not nearly enough of them to justify seeing something so stale. The whole cast is good, the movie is pleasant enough, but there just isn't anything that truly stands out about it. I would give it 2/4.
The trailer makes it look like a DTV movie that got a last minute reprieve to see a widespread release.
Old 03-10-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I didn't laugh once in the trailer, so unless there's copious amounts of nudity, I'm not interested.
When I did a yahoo image search on "alice eve" I was pleasantly surprised by some of the images that showed up (safe search = off) of her. Heh.
Old 03-10-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Looks pretty funny.

That girl doesn't look like a 10 though, even for a normal non-celebrity girl.
Sometimes it takes more than looks to make a girl a 10. Show me an 8 with a fantastic personality that I end up having things in common with, and that score shoots right up. From the trailer, it looks like that's what her character in the movie is about.

Last edited by The Infidel; 03-10-10 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 10:05 AM

I saw this at an advanced screening last week. Much funnier and a better all around film than Hot Tub Time Machine. I rate it a B+
Old 03-10-10, 02:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
When I did a yahoo image search on "alice eve" I was pleasantly surprised by some of the images that showed up (safe search = off) of her. Heh.
Yeah, she's hot and has been nude before, which is why I won't need to see this unless it's just chock full o'nudity.
Old 03-10-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Looks funny. Hopefully going to see it this weekend with my g/f.
Old 03-10-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Just got back from a screening tonight. My thoughts:

The movie had a lot of the "guys sitting together insulting one of the guys" type of humor that we know well, as well as situational/incidental stuff, but nothing felt too drawn out or anything like that, pretty good stuff. It did do the "this is the part where we turn into a romantic comedy" thing that happened with Knocked Up and Wedding Crashers, although that's not a bad thing. The friends of the main dude were great (although they didn't give the "normal one" as much to do as the other two). His family was pretty entertaining as well.

Can somebody tell me what happened in the first five or so minutes? I came in late...very rarely do that either...
Old 03-11-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Just got back from a screening tonight. My thoughts:

The movie had a lot of the "guys sitting together insulting one of the guys" type of humor that we know well, as well as situational/incidental stuff, but nothing felt too drawn out or anything like that, pretty good stuff. It did do the "this is the part where we turn into a romantic comedy" thing that happened with Knocked Up and Wedding Crashers, although that's not a bad thing. The friends of the main dude were great (although they didn't give the "normal one" as much to do as the other two). His family was pretty entertaining as well.

Can somebody tell me what happened in the first five or so minutes? I came in late...very rarely do that either...
All you missed is a painful "take me back" speech from Baruchel, the recipients of which are actually his airport buddies and not his ex-girlfriend; he's just testing it out on them, and they mock him.

I didn't think it was very funny, but I also didn't think it was terrible. The script has its heart in the right place, especially when it comes to the writing of Baruchel and Eve's characters, but the movie isn't funny enough to mean much.

Interestingly, the copyright at the end says 2008. Has this been sitting on the shelf for two years?
Old 03-11-10, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I like Jay, so I'll prob go see this. The trailer was funnier than I anticipated.
Agreed. I loved him in Knocked Up and Tropic Thunder, so I am glad to see him in a leading role. I am actually really excited to see him in The Sorcerer's Apprentice too, with Nicolas Cage this summer. Looks like he has a good lineup in the coming months.
Old 03-11-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Has this been sitting on the shelf for two years?
Paramount/Dreamworks divorce messed up the release plans.
Old 03-11-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Show me an 8 with a fantastic personality that I end up having things in common with, and that score shoots right up.
Is this an SAT question? I wish I could find that.
Old 03-11-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My full writeup: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42583...-of-my-league/
Old 03-12-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Perhaps it was a long week at work, but I had a good time with the cast of characters in this film, while it is a bit short on pushing an angst-ridden tale of a "5" (Kirk, played by Jay Baruchel) paired up with a "10" (Molly, played by Alice Eve), the script does go straight for the jugular with dialogue from Kirk's crazy family members (and extended family members via an ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend) and his friends who work with him at the Pittsburgh airport as they all try to make sense of Kirk and Molly's unlikely pairing.

It sort of makes sense, but the film is more interested in bringing out some of the funny situations that arise from such a misfit couple, and I laughed at most of the material, so it succeeded on that level, although the characterizations were still a bit archetypical, I still enjoyed the sweetness between Kirk and Molly at times.

It's not quite over-written like most Judd Apatow comedies, and it's not as profound or deep in some spots, but it mostly delivers on the concept of the film's title "She's Out of My League". It's rated R, and it makes the most out of the profanity and sexual situations, but in a funny way, supporting the minor bits of characterizations of the family members and friends.

Oh, I think I've developed a crush on Krysten Ritter (Molly's best friend and Party planner partner), and Alice Eve is very easy on the eyes, and isn't written to be a ditzy blonde, but an attractive young lady with a good head on her shoulders.

If you're sympathetic to the concept of the film, it might hit the funny spot for you.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 03-12-10 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed it. It doesn't touch the R rated comedies from a couple years ago, but it's entertaining with a few really good lines, especially from all the guys. Most of the humor seemed to stem from awkward situations and reactions, which suits my sense of humor. Jay does the awkward guy ten times better then Michael Cera.

I don't think i'd call Alice Eve a 10 either, but damn if she didn't look good in her undies.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-13-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by this one... The 4 guys really were entertaining and thought they all played off each other well. And I started off not thinking she was that great, but by the end, I was pretty much of the belief she was pretty hot.
Old 03-14-10, 12:07 AM

looks pretty good. Cant go wrong with raunch rom coms!
Old 03-14-10, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I walked out of this movie tonite. I made it as far as when Molly gives the guy a lapdance. I didn't laugh a single time. I guess movies that rely on vomit and testicular trauma to be funny appeal to a certain portion of movie audiences, I am just not part of that audience.

I rate it 0/5.
Old 03-14-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by E. Honda
I walked out of this movie tonite. I made it as far as when Molly gives the guy a lapdance. I didn't laugh a single time. I guess movies that rely on vomit and testicular trauma to be funny appeal to a certain portion of movie audiences, I am just not part of that audience.

I rate it 0/5.
Wow...not a single laugh? Troll much?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.