Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wolfman: Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Wolfman
Excellent! A new horror classic!
3.57%
Good, but not great
46.43%
Not as bad as I thought it would be
17.86%
This movie sucks big wolfman balls!
32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Okay, I'm not going for the stars system, merely one in which you select the words that you think best describe your experience. The last one is a variation on a capsule review an audience member apparently gave Van Helsing (2004) at an advance screening.
Old 02-09-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wolfman: Reviews Thread

I have almost no interest in seeing this.
Old 02-09-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned in the original Wolfman thread, I saw a test screening of this months ago and got a little bit more in depth with what I saw.

Words can't describe how pissed off I was after watching this movie. It's a boring, muddled, clusterfuck of a mess that only gets it's R rating from the ten minutes of carnage that appears on screen. The other 90 minutes you'll be bored to tears or angry that Universal went with Mummy Returns-esque CGI over Rick Baker's practical make-up and effects work.
Old 02-10-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm going with my dad to see this on Saturday. He's been a big fan of the wolfman since he was a kid so he's pretty excited. I'm mildly interested in seeing the film.
Old 02-10-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am hoping its good, for the first time probably, they seem to have the look of the wolfman right. He looks amazing from what I have seen. Plus from the ads it looks scary instead of going the action/comedy route.
Old 02-10-10, 06:13 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If I can find the time this weekend, I may go see this.
Old 02-10-10, 10:19 AM

But it's rated-R instead of PG-13 doesn't that make it awesome?
Old 02-10-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's over 2 hours long too, so just by that alone it should be greatest film of all time.
Old 02-10-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I saw it last night, it was good but not great, and it was kind of dull between the wolfman carnage.
Old 02-10-10, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Actually, the "R" will probably help this one , don't you think?
There's a reason the movie companies love to have movies edited so they can slap that PG-13 rating on them.

I'm thinking if this movie is not well-received it would benefit from more parents letting their kids see it.

Last edited by iggystar; 02-10-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. So they can make the story of a werewolf ripping people to shreds palatable to the "no gore/less violence" crowd, while selling many more tickets to all the teeny-boppers who text/talk/etc at the show, ruining the cinema experience for everyone except themselves.

Screw that. I want my horror to be as horrible as the story necessitates. And even though the Lon Chaney Jr version is a great favorite of mine, that just ain't gonna fly in theaters today...and it shouldn't.
FWIW, it seems that often a rated R movie cut to be PG-13 is just as bad in the unrated/R version as it would be in the PG-13. If this movie is truly horrendous, then I have the feeling we would be seeing it as PG-13. If it's R, then they must have some confidence in it, or they're just hoping to make a buck or two from the hardcore horror fans as they know the movie won't play to anyone but them.
Old 02-11-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
It's over 2 hours long too, so just by that alone it should be greatest film of all time.
Actually, despite what several movie websites state, this movie is 96 minutes in length.
Old 02-11-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it tuesday night at the Arclight cinemas in Hollywood.
It pains me to say that its not good, cause Joe Johnston is my favorite movie director.
check it out if you are able to get the movie cash on the bluray just be prepared for a major let down. It sucks that with such a talented director and great cast that this movie ended up not being good. It tries hard to pay homage to the original wolfman and other classic universal monsters but is plagued by a bad script and obvious studio interference(as in its really obvious executives kept sticking there noses in, hampering Johnstons directing of the film.)

again pains me to say cause Joe Johnston is my favorite movie director, and it was so awesome getting to meet him last night but the movie is bad.
Old 02-11-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
Actually, despite what several movie websites state, this movie is 96 minutes in length.
Actually its 1 hour 42 mins
Old 02-11-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Joe Johnston is my favorite movie director.

Just curious, what other directors do you hold in high esteem?
Old 02-11-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebert gave this film a decent review.

I was surprised.
Old 02-11-10, 12:37 PM

Yes. So they can make the story of a werewolf ripping people to shreds palatable to the "no gore/less violence" crowd, while selling many more tickets to all the teeny-boppers who text/talk/etc at the show, ruining the cinema experience for everyone except themselves.

Screw that. I want my horror to be as horrible as the story necessitates. And even though the Lon Chaney Jr version is a great favorite of mine, that just ain't gonna fly in theaters today...and it shouldn't.

Oh, the studios don't care about the cinema experience as long as they make the money. I think in this case, if the studio wanted to make more money on this particular movie it might have been wise to do a "PG-13" cut because the hardcore audience is panning this one already.

Besides that same crowd of teeny-boppers, etc., don't give a crap about the quality of a movie and will fill the seats. I rarely go to theater anymore unless it's an "even" movie, as I have a nice television.

Plus, I was just making a light-hearted jab at the "a movie is automatically better when it's R" debate. I think there are some "R" rated movies that would do just fine as "PG-13", although less likely in the horror genre for sure.
Old 02-11-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THE WOLFMAN

The Wolfman
is much like its protagonist. It changes from good to bad and vice versa, always all too quickly and never with much credibility. The film looks great, beautifully shot and beautifully designed; it could have easily been a home for a great Dracula story. However, the first half feels edited to within an inch of its life, with events happening and characters introduced with setup so minimal that there's nothing to relate to later. If Del Toro's and Blunt's characters fall in love, it only seems to be because of proximity.

Nevertheless all the actors are up for putting on a show, no matter how silly it is, and Anthony Hopkins is great fun to watch. Geraldine Chaplin is lovely to see in a supporting role, but please, "I have to see Geraldine Chaplin in a supporting role" is not the best reason to see any film. The makeup is pretty damn cool, which sadly makes the CG look even worse (it's symbolic, maybe, that Rick Baker cameos as an early victim, felled by an all-too-quick CGI blur probably meant to be a werewolf). The dimly-lit moors and shadows pulled me in, but the Disco-shimmer fx and shots of the EVIL MOON EVIL EVIL had me stifling giggles.

Oh, and this is Danny Elfman's best score in ages (still nothing as good as his peak but much better than the standard blandness he's been churning out), reminding me very much of Bram Stoker's Dracula. In fact, a lot of what's good here has been proven so by being used to better effect before in other films. Andrew Kevin Walker reuses mom/dad issues pretty wholesale from Sleepy Hollow.

There's plenty of good parts to the film, what a pity it ended up like this.
Old 02-11-10, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck, I'm going to see this. I have to see this for myself. Too much conflict on the basis of the film. I want to understand and see what was cut and etc. Anyone have any pics of what Baker actually made for the film?
Old 02-11-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DonnachaOne, since you've seen the final product. Is the ending the same to the one I saw in a test screening months ago? I ask because a test screening after mine was mentioned to having a different ending.

Spoiler:
The ending I saw consisted of: Del Toro and Hopkins battling it out to the death CGI-werewolf style. Hopkins dies. Del Toro chases Blunt's character for a while, attacks Weaving, ends up dying. Last scene of the film is Weaving realizing in the woods that he now has the mark of the beast, cut to black.
Old 02-11-10, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Just curious, what other directors do you hold in high esteem?
I wanted to ask the same question.

And, I going to catch this... but my expectations are in check. It's a shame good werewolf movies are so hard to come by.
Old 02-11-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
DonnachaOne, since you've seen the final product. Is the ending the same to the one I saw in a test screening months ago? I ask because a test screening after mine was mentioned to having a different ending.

Spoiler:
The ending I saw consisted of: Del Toro and Hopkins battling it out to the death CGI-werewolf style. Hopkins dies. Del Toro chases Blunt's character for a while, attacks Weaving, ends up dying. Last scene of the film is Weaving realizing in the woods that he now has the mark of the beast, cut to black.
Spoiler:
Everything you mentioned is in it (especially the CGI fight... ugh, they may as well have had "boing" sounds). You didn't mention the following details but they could have been in the version you saw: Hopkins is burned and Del Toro rips his head off. Blunt shoots Del Toro in the heart. The narration about how a man can pray and be good but still turn into a wolf gets repeated, we get a hot of the EVIL EVIL moon, cut to some fantastic credits.
Old 02-11-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have some movie money (i.e. a gift card for a theater), so I will use it for this one. I will keep my expectations low, which disappoints me, as this had so much going for it. We finally get an R-rated balls to the wall werewolf movie in theaters and it winds up sucking. Tragic.
Old 02-11-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Joe Johnston is my favorite movie director.
I hope you are a blood relation to Joe Johnston, or that you've only seen a handful of movies in your life.
Old 02-11-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harry Knowles liked it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43954

I would give his review cred if it weren't for the fact that he also gave glowing notices to both Daredevil and Van Helsing. I honestly believe this guy's opinion can be bought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.