DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which 5 of the 10 Best Pic noms would have made the cut? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/568920-5-10-best-pic-noms-would-have-made-cut.html)

marty888 02-02-10 08:04 AM

Which 5 of the 10 Best Pic noms would have made the cut?

Which of the following 10 Best Picture nominees would have been on the list if there were still only five nominees?

The 10 nominees are:

<b>AVATAR
THE BLIND SIDE
DISTRICT 9
AN EDUCATION
THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
A SERIOUS MAN
UP
UP IN THE AIR</b>

The 5 I'd suspect would have made the "short" list:

THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
UP IN THE AIR

zekeburger1979 02-02-10 08:12 AM

Re: Which 5 of the 10 Best Pic noms would have made the cut?

The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Up
Up in the Air

Drexl 02-02-10 08:15 AM

The directors are the easiest choice, but sometimes they don't match up. I think they would have done that this year, but if not I'll just guess that An Education would have made the cut (over what, I don't know). I just don't think something like District 9 or Up would get in with just 5 nominees.

That said, it is highly unlikely that a movie not nominated for directing would win. It hasn't happened since Driving Miss Daisy in 1990, and not since 1932 before that.

mdc3000 02-02-10 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by marty888 (Post 9976597)

THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
UP IN THE AIR

THIS. Without question those would have been the 5.

hardercore 02-02-10 08:44 AM

Basterds, Avatar, Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, Precious. Not coincidentally the 5 highest nomination-scorers and directing nominees. So the films "reaching the wider audience" are A Serious Man (Jews), Up (Kids), District 9 (Prawns), The Blind Side (retarded footballers and Bullock fans), and An Education (The Brits).

jdslater1 02-02-10 08:45 AM

Why did they not say the producers name on some of them? They didn't know who produced it?

Bit confused.

MoviePage 02-02-10 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by jdslater1 (Post 9976680)
Why did they not say the producers name on some of them? They didn't know who produced it?

Bit confused.

They changed the rules a few years ago to only allow a certain number of producers to be nominated for each movie. In the past they would have to rattle off 6 or 7 producer names for each movie, and a lot of the executive producers behind the scenes were fighting to get their names attached to high profile movies, even if they hadn't contributed a thing to the production in reality.

So I guess for those titles, there are more producers than the allowed number for nominations, and the studios haven't determined the final list of names to submit yet. You can imagine the amount of squabbling over this that probably goes on.

Howie2000 02-02-10 09:14 AM

I think they have a rule only up to 3- 4 people can be nominated as a Producer for Best Picture and that film probably has more than that. It's also the case in original song where you might have 4-5 writers.

zekeburger1979 02-02-10 09:27 AM

Academy rules state that up to 3 producers can be named for a Best Picture nominee. According to IMDB, The Hurt Locker has 8 producers:

Kathryn Bigelow .... producer
Mark Boal .... producer
Nicolas Chartier .... producer
Jenn Lee .... associate producer
Tony Mark .... executive producer
Donall McCusker .... co-producer
Jack Schuster .... associate producer
Greg Shapiro .... producer

If the old rules were in place and Narc was nominated for Best Picture, the presenters would have had to read off 19 names!

Defiant1 02-02-10 10:14 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that only someone with the credit of "producer" and not "co-producer", "executive producer" or "associate producer" is eligible to win Best Picture. That still leaves 4 names for The Hurt Locker, so someone is getting bumped off.

jdpatri 02-02-10 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 9976672)
THIS. Without question those would have been the 5.

Without a doubt.

Ash Ketchum 02-02-10 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by marty888 (Post 9976597)
Which of the following 10 Best Picture nominees would have been on the list if there were still only five nominees?

THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
UP IN THE AIR

Ditto.

story 02-02-10 11:15 AM

Absolutely this:

THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
UP IN THE AIR

I'd love to think DISTRICT 9 would have made the cut, though I can't think of what wouldn't have made it instead.

FantasticVSDoom 02-02-10 11:39 AM

Yeah have to agree with the consensus so far and go with

THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
UP IN THE AIR

Groucho 02-02-10 11:41 AM

My guess:

THE BLIND SIDE
DISTRICT 9
AN EDUCATION
A SERIOUS MAN
UP

auto 02-02-10 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9977020)
My guess:

THE BLIND SIDE
DISTRICT 9
AN EDUCATION
A SERIOUS MAN
UP

Oh funny Groucho. You're so quaint.

bunkaroo 02-02-10 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 9976969)
Absolutely this:

THE HURT LOCKER
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
PRECIOUS
UP IN THE AIR

I'd love to think DISTRICT 9 would have made the cut, though I can't think of what wouldn't have made it instead.

I agree except for Avatar. Record gross or not, I think either Blind Side or A Serious Man would have been in its place.

I can see Avatar for director and all the effects awards, but it's not a Best Picture IMO.

jmu878 02-02-10 01:08 PM

Inglourious Basterds
The Hurt Locker
UP
Up in the Air
A Serious Man

hapgilmore 02-02-10 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9977102)
I agree except for Avatar. Record gross or not, I think either Blind Side or A Serious Man would have been in its place.

I can see Avatar for director and all the effects awards, but it's not a Best Picture IMO.

Well you're gonna eat those words because Avatar is a shoe-in for best picture.

bunkaroo 02-02-10 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore (Post 9977221)
Well you're gonna eat those words because Avatar is a shoe-in for best picture.

Really? We'll see. If it does win, I'll just take it as a huge apology from the Academy for snubbing The Dark Knight. ;)

But seriously, why is it a shoe-in? Because of the box office numbers? Sure it's breaking ground with effects, but that doesn't equal a best pic award. A little film called Star Wars comes to mind.

And honestly, it's not that great of a film. Titanic is a better film, and that shouldn't have been best picture either.

Doctor Gonzo 02-02-10 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 (Post 9976611)
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Up
Up in the Air

zekeburger1979 makes the right call. These are my picks as well :up:

jmu878 02-02-10 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9977251)
Really? We'll see. If it does win, I'll just take it as a huge apology from the Academy for snubbing The Dark Knight. ;)

But seriously, why is it a shoe-in? Because of the box office numbers? Sure it's breaking ground with effects, but that doesn't equal a best pic award. A little film called Star Wars comes to mind.

And honestly, it's not that great of a film. Titanic is a better film, and that shouldn't have been best picture either.

Agreed...Avatar is pretty to look at, much doesn't possess a whole lot of depth. Was I the only one who found the script cringe inducing?? This really should be QT's year in my opinion...And yeah, The Dark Knight should have won last year for the trillionth time...

whoopdido 02-02-10 02:11 PM

Sorry, but I think Avatar is a better film than The Dark Knight.

I mean how much better is The Dark Knight than Batman Begins? I think they're both very good movies, but I've never understood all the praise that The Dark Knight got.

Personally, and not to sound like a heartless bastard, but I truly think that had Heath Ledger not died, The Dark Knight wouldn't have made nearly as much money as it did and nobody would would ever think of it as a best picture candidate.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie and Ledger did a very good job. It sure wasn't a virtuoso performance like people seem to think it was though and again, had he not died, I really don't think he would have gotten the praise he did either.

Looking at both films objectively, I fail to see how The Dark Knight was THAT much better than Batman Begins.

Count Dooku 02-02-10 02:20 PM

The answer to the question is so obvious, I have to post the inevitable:

Why is this a thread?

toddly6666 02-02-10 02:36 PM

district 9
the hurt locker
inglorious basterds
up in the air