Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Muppet Movie - News, Rumors, Cast, etc

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Muppet Movie - News, Rumors, Cast, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Disney's Muppet Movie - News, Rumors, Cast, etc

Also, (i havent seen this noted anywhere) There is a very funny 10 minute Toy Story short which is an adventure that takes place after the events of movie number 3, and all the voice actors return

As far as the muppets, i loved it, very self referential and 4th wall breaking
Spoiler:
Maniacal laugh
. As far as the cameos go
Spoiler:
Jim Parsons got an applause and was a great use of him. Selena Gomez on the other hand actually got a groan from my audience
i was at a midnight showing, theater was id say 90% full and everyone for the most part was late 20s or early 30s
Old 11-23-11, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched it at midnight last night, there were maybe 20 people there, including me and 4 friends. But they all seemed like big fans, a couple dudes were even dressed like Statler and Waldorf.

I really enjoyed The Muppets, brought a smile to my face and it never really left. Most of the jokes hit and I was laughing A LOT. The new muppet was also a nice addition, and the human storyline was given just enough time to matter, even though The Muppets were obviously the stars. The film really flew by, and I can;t find much I didn't like about it. Except for one musical number which was a misfire to me. But highly recommended, I'd say second best movie I've seen this year after 50/50.

***1/2 out of ****

And that Toy Story short was excellent, I almost felt like I got my money's worth with just that. Had me laughing more than many feature length comedies.
Old 11-24-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A pretty solid movie about the relevance of the Muppets in today's world, and growing up and moving towards one's destiny, no matter how much it shakes up the status quo, growth requires confidence and support. Enjoyed all the time capsule-worthy nods to the past, the song numbers. Jason Segel clearly loves this stuff, even if his singing and dancing are average. Amy Adams felt a little too much like an acting version of the Stepford wives (just a little too "put on" in her scenes). It was good to see many of the Muppets back on the big screen. Chris Cooper's villainous turn was a little over-the-top, though.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

P.S. The Toy Story short at the beginning was also funny and enjoyable.
Old 11-24-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

I thought the Chris Cooper number was the "misfire" for me...as was the odd choice to subtitle it (didn't they think we'd understand what he was singing?). Other than that, I really liked the new numbers (Man or Muppet? is the best new one...and, of course, when they did the "classic" song, it brought a tear to my eye!)
Old 11-24-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 236 Likes on 140 Posts

Just got back from seeing this and LOVED it. My 10 year old, who doesn't sit still for anything, and complained before the film that he didn't want to see it, loved it and sat enraptured the whole time. Lots of great moments, little jokes, and of course the barbershop quartet had me rolling with laughter.

Anyone notice the quick cutaway to the townspeople after the first dance number where they were all lying on the ground and out of breath from the dance? It lasted like 2 seconds. LMAO.
Old 11-24-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Just got back from seeing this and LOVED it. My 10 year old, who doesn't sit still for anything, and complained before the film that he didn't want to see it, loved it and sat enraptured the whole time. Lots of great moments, little jokes, and of course the barbershop quartet had me rolling with laughter.

Anyone notice the quick cutaway to the townspeople after the first dance number where they were all lying on the ground and out of breath from the dance? It lasted like 2 seconds. LMAO.
i loved the bit where after garry and mary left, the townspeople cheered
Old 11-24-11, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought the Chris Cooper number was the "misfire" for me...as was the odd choice to subtitle it (didn't they think we'd understand what he was singing?). Other than that, I really liked the new numbers (Man or Muppet? is the best new one...and, of course, when they did the "classic" song, it brought a tear to my eye!)
Yup, that is the one I was referring to as well. His line right after he stopped singing almost saved it for me though.
Old 11-25-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely loved it. Great, fun movie.
Old 11-25-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sharkstank
Yup, that is the one I was referring to as well. His line right after he stopped singing almost saved it for me though.
Yep, and ironically, Chris has said in interviews that the number was the reason he said yes to the film.
Old 11-25-11, 06:21 PM

I dunno, I thought that bit was so stupid that it was funny. I also was hysterically laughing for a good 5 minutes when Walter told Mary and Gary about Cooper's plan adding in the little "see?"s like a 1930s villain.
Old 11-25-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a big fan of The Muppets but loved this movie. And my family too ( wife 34 years old, and daughters 12 and 5 years old).
Old 11-25-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it this morning - loved it. Best movie of the year for me.
Old 11-26-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Imail724
I dunno, I thought that bit was so stupid that it was funny. I also was hysterically laughing for a good 5 minutes when Walter told Mary and Gary about Cooper's plan adding in the little "see?"s like a 1930s villain.
The whole bit from the time Walter found out about the plan, to him screaming all day/night long, to his plan to get chilli dogs, and the "naaa see?" quotes almost had me in tears.
Old 11-26-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I have already seen it twice in two days, I loved it. I couldn't help but start crying seeing the picture of Kermit with Jim Henson in his old office, and Kermit singing "Pictures in my Head". Very touching moment about the state of the muppets for the last decade. I really hope this movie is a hit, it deserves to do very well.
Old 11-26-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I have already seen it twice in two days, I loved it. I couldn't help but start crying seeing the picture of Kermit with Jim Henson in his old office, and Kermit singing "Pictures in my Head". Very touching moment about the state of the muppets for the last decade. I really hope this movie is a hit, it deserves to do very well.
The good news is it cost a very modest $45 million (and I think every dollar of that is on screen...it looks better than a lot of $100 million movies)...it's going to come close to that figure by the time the weekend is over. What that means for the future of The Muppets is anyone's guess.

By the way, does everyone know that Frank Oz (retired now...at least as a muppeteer) DISOWNED this film? Unbelievable...I can only assume he rejected an early script draft - I find it hard to believe he would hate the finished product.
Old 11-26-11, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. We already talked about it.
Old 11-26-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to get too deep into spoiler territory. But Frank Oz had problems with the state Kermit is in at the start of the film. So I don't think he has changed his mind about the finished product. IMO I didn't have a problem with that, the film seemed to play The Muppets as "real" actors who had a show and made some movies. So yeah, maybe the Kermit from the movies wouldn't have acted that way, but the real life Kermit after his star had faded may have. It's a new spin on the character, but the movie gets so much right it's something Frank should let slide by. I mean he DID lend his voice to the prequels after all, but those pictures probably paid better.
Old 11-27-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

I hadn't seen that bit about Oz specifically. Everything I read sounded like early draft stuff he had a problem with. The EW article a couple weeks back kinda went into it, and the director has been pretty honest in interviews about the early ideas for characters and having to learn the unwritten rules of each muppet character.

As mentioned before, if he had an issue with how the characters were being treated, wouldn't it have been a better idea to be on set helping out vs. walking away?

Anyway, finally going to see it today. Can't wait.
Old 11-27-11, 08:55 AM
Banned

I saw this Friday...just forgot to post my thoughts on it.

It was pretty damn good. Very fresh direction and very nostalgic without being hammy about it. I loved certain appearances specifically. Also...that Muppet of a man was pretty damn funny. You can really tell much love was given to the script and the direction. The direction specifically was sooooo fresh to The Muppets. I loved it. I got a bit emotional in places...and it worked in the film.

The film further drove in that we still need the Muppets around. Great great talent involved in such production. That $45 million was up on that screen for sure. Rarely can one tell such things on productions but...it was evident in this one.

I'd love to see the cut moments we got in the trailers. Maybe those clips were for the trailers or maybe not. Either way...it was a very whimsical but controlled as hell flick. I can't wait to see what we get from those Muppets next.

Small thing that I really loved about this film. I loved how the Muppet performers got their credits first in the end credits. That hones in the love for those Muppets by the filmmakers even more. It was nice to see those guys given special notice.
Old 11-27-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's currently looking like number 2 with a Holiday total of around 40-45 million. While it wasn't enough to beat out Twilight, It did beat out all the other family competition for the Holiday. Hell, it's already more than doubled the total gross of "From Space" so that's great news! Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like there is much more family films coming out until Tin Tin, so hopefully the good word of mouth will carry this film for the next month. The Muppets look to be back!
Old 11-27-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

From that EW article co-ceo of The Henson Company Lisa Henson is completely supportive of the movie. Getting the rules of the muppet characters right came in writing the script when the veteran muppet performers gave their input. I'll see this at least one more time this holiday season because my Mom and Dad both said they want to see it.
Old 11-27-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I absolutely loved this movie, and teared up a couple of times. One of the biggest smile moments for me was
Spoiler:
Sweetums still working for the same used car lot that he did in the first movie, and how he ran behind them saying "not again".
Old 11-27-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Just got back. It was too awesome for words. I don't understand how anyone could give this a negative review. Sure the movie wasn't perfect* but you have to have the blackest of hearts to not walk out of the theater with a giant grin on your face.

Hands down, the best movie I've seen all year.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Small thing that I really loved about this film. I loved how the Muppet performers got their credits first in the end credits. That hones in the love for those Muppets by the filmmakers even more. It was nice to see those guys given special notice.
That was great.

-Chris Cooper's number was a misfire for me. The concept was decent, it just didn't work for me.

- Cameo selection was very suspect. 99% of them were from ABC/Disney owned shows, which was kinda weak. If anyone was perfect for a cameo, it would be Taylor Swift and yet, nope... gotta squeeze in another ABC performer. Seriously, look at the original Muppet Movie with Milton Berle, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Bob Hope, etc. We get Manny from Modern Family, Jim from the Office and Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. I love all three shows, but clearly the original was on another level. That gripe aside, they did have two phenomenal cameos in Dave Grohl and Zach Zalifianakis.

- The Cars 2 add was fucking obnoxious as hell.
Old 11-27-11, 04:41 PM
Banned

yeah...I'll admit..the Cars 2 ads were getting in the way too much. Doesn't harm the movie..but...it's not cool.
Old 11-27-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent movie. Just saw it with my 2-yr-old niece. Her first movie in the theater. She was dancing in her seat during all the musical scenes. Love it. Hope we can get another one. Segal and Adams were excellent as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.