Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirates of the Caribbean... 4??

http://movies.ign.com/articles/777/777554p1.html

April 2, 2007 - We've heard rumors before about the post-trilogy future of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, and now a new report has surfaced claiming that the swashbuckling action films will, indeed, continue after At World's End is released this May.

The third film in the series reportedly ties up loose ends and seemingly brings closure to characters and storylines central to the first three Pirates movies, but the Los Angeles Times cites unidentified sources at Disney who claim that the studio is taking seriously overtures by Johnny Depp expressing that he's keen to stay on with the franchise.

Furthermore, there's fresh speculation that Orlando Bloom may be cut from any future films. We've been here before when rumors of Will Turner's death in Pirates 3 began swirling last October. And while his big-screen demise doesn't seem likely, it could be that his character arc will simply be resolved and that he'll be written out of Pirates 4. If Disney wants to make more movies in the series they may want to cut costs by slashing, arguably, the most expendable member of the lead cast.
I bet they run this franchise into the ground. In 10 years we will have POTC10: Pirates In Space.
Old 04-03-07, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd would've preferred Bloom written out of the two sequels to start with. Even though I found Dead Man's Chest to be deeply flawed, I would certainly be there opening weekend for any further films in this series particularly if Depp stars in them.
Old 04-03-07, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
If Depp is the lead, I'll probably still see them in the theater. If he isn't, they will move to the end of a long rental list.

Muppets From Space was really good, maybe Pirates in Space would be good, too.
Old 04-03-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mndtrp

Muppets From Space was really good, maybe Pirates in Space would be good, too.
Old 04-03-07, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
maybe Pirates in Space would be good, too.
Old 04-03-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please no.

3 was enough, and yes, I've enjoyed this series, but let's not over do it *cough* Indy 4* cough*
Old 04-03-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Spoiler:
I hear that in the 4th one, Bloom is written out..and Knightly ends up with Depp. Seriouslly though, Pirates is Depp's baby. Bloom was just the eye candy i suppose
Old 04-03-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wouldn't mind more if Depp is on board.
Old 04-03-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Actually, as far as I'm concerned they can write out both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly, and let Jack Sparrow move on to other adventures without them.

As long as Depp is involved (and I hope Verbinski stays) I'll be there. The Jack Sparrow Chronicles could be interesting...
Old 04-03-07, 11:30 AM

They should freeze Jack Sparrow ala Austin Powers and have him thawed in 2010 to revive the Pirate culture.
Old 04-03-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Actually, as far as I'm concerned they can write out both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly, and let Jack Sparrow move on to other adventures without them.
No, not Keira!!!!

I agree, they can do just fine without those two, just as long as Depp remains on board.
Old 04-03-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Without Depp, any sequel would be a direct to home release.
Old 04-04-07, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

As long as Depp is involved (and I hope Verbinski stays) I'll be there. The Jack Sparrow Chronicles could be interesting...
Totally agree. If they want to wrap up the Turner/Swan storyline with #3 and then move on to something else in #4 with Jack Sparrow, that's the way to go. Depp/Jack Sparrow is what makes the movies, so without him it'd be pointless. That being said, I would be ok with them stopping with the 3rd one.
Old 04-04-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, as long as Depp is in it doesn't really matter how who you surround him with....the movies will still be successful.
Old 04-04-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
OMG, that was the first thing that popped into my head too!
Old 06-20-07, 10:32 AM

Pirates 4 Spoiler

http://www.losangelesnews.net/story/258221

Spoiler:
Pirates 4 may see Jack Sparrow go where no sailor has ever gone before

Los Angeles News.Net
Wednesday 20th June, 2007 (ANI)

Sydney, June 20 : Rumours that another "Pirates of the Caribbean " sequel is in the offing have been confirmed now.

According to a report from Cinema Blend actors Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush will reprise their roles of Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain Hector Barbossa respectively.

However, no one else from the original three films will be re-cast, as the series will now revolve on Jack Sparrow.

The report also says that the next film, to be directed by Gore Verbinski again, could be a complete science fiction film.

"Some of the brainstorming going around involves some Jules Verne type of scenarios involving some pretty big flying machines, a man who wants to rule more than just the ocean, a encounter with the most famous and dangerous pirate of all, a race to get to a lost world (Hint, Hint) and Jack and his crew going to where no pirate has gone before," Moviehole quoted an insider, as stating on the site.

This might make # 4 better than # 2 & # 3.

Chris
Old 06-20-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Milking
Old 06-20-07, 10:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
In 10 years we will have POTC10: Pirates In Space.
that I'd see
Old 06-20-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, they already committed to getting rid of Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley if you stayed after the end credits of Pirates 3.
Old 06-20-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Argh. Verbinski, PLEASE do something else! It's not that the Pirates movies aren't entertaining enough, but he's got the talent to handle better, more aggressive material. The Weather Man is great, and I thoroughly enjoy his rendition of The Ring. He needs to tackle something else to stretch his legs.

However, as long as Depp and Rush take on other roles alongside the 4th Pirates movie, then I'd be interested in seeing this ...
Spoiler:
... quest for the Fountain of Youth.
Old 06-20-07, 11:15 AM
Retired

As long as Verbinski keeps directing, and Depp keeps starring I'll keep watching.
Old 06-20-07, 12:39 PM

I have loved all of the Pirates films very much. With a fourth one, I will be there opening night and will be there on DVD release day. Bring it on!
Old 06-20-07, 01:46 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Oh please dear God no.
Old 06-20-07, 01:54 PM

Their inside sources must only be partly right. Verbinski has already said he's moving on to other projects and isn't interested in doing another Pirates flick for awhile. See the interview on MovieWeb that he gave back on May 23rd.

"Would you consider doing a Fourth Pirates film> Do you feel there are still more tales to tell with these characters?"

Gore Verbinski: I think the Will and Elizabeth story and the Port Royal, the Governor's Daughter, and Davey Jones... I think that story's done. I think the entire trilogy is done. It feels complete and finished. Whether somewhere down the road, years from now, we come across a story worth telling that would be "The Continued Adventures of Jack Sparrow," you know, maybe? It really depends on if there's a tale worth telling. I certainly am ready for a vacation. I'd like to direct something else before I came back to this genre. "
Old 06-20-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm down for a 4th.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.