Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, I will be speaking with one of the producers of the film and need some help in creating a list of questions. I'm hoping to ask him questions that are fun and reveal behind the scenes tidbits about making the film.

Any suggestions? What are your burning questions? Many thanks!
Old 01-12-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Avatar - Your Burning Questions

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Hi folks, I will be speaking with one of the producers of the film and need some help in creating a list of questions. I'm hoping to ask him questions that are fun and reveal behind the scenes tidbits about making the film.

I have one...

"instead of you, can I talk to James Cameron?"

Old 01-12-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been curious about how the scene with Neytiri and Jake - the human Jake, was achieved so flawlessly. Aside from being a wonderful moment, it was only after the film ended that I realized that it was a human character literally being held by a CG character.
Old 01-13-10, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Why do the human Avatars have 5 fingers while the Na'vi only have 4? Just that DNA cross breeding can't get rid of that pesky fifth digit?

Yeah, I got nothin'.
Old 01-13-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they honestly think AVATAR would gross as much and possibly even more then Titanic?
Old 01-13-10, 08:52 AM
Suspended

Since you went through so much trouble to show a whole ecosystem for Pandora, what possible selective pressure led to the the Na'vi losing two of their arms, unlike everything else on the planet, including their glimpsed relatives the spacemonkeys (Gleek not withstanding)?
Old 01-13-10, 08:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Why wasn't Bill Paxton in this movie?
Old 01-13-10, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you purposely produce this film so that people would become suicidal?

Do you acknowledge the mental damage you've brought onto these people?

Would you have sex with a navi?
Old 01-13-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is there another Avatar thread?
Old 01-13-10, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Why is there another Avatar thread?
I seriously don't expect the producers to know the answer to that.
Old 01-13-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Why do the Navi as CGI creations? Why not just put blue-skin makeup on the actors and let them emote, which is what actors, y'know, do after all? I wouldn't have minded seeing Zoe Saldana in the "flesh," so to speak. I mean, they did that on the old "Star Trek" TV show and that franchise is 44 years old and counting.
Old 01-13-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did they make the Avatars in the first place? You can use an oxygen mask on Pandora and everyone else does so that isn't why. Was it to hide amoung the Na'vi? No that wasn't it because the Na'vi knew they weren't real Na'vi. So what is the point?
Old 01-13-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Why do the Navi as CGI creations? Why not just put blue-skin makeup on the actors and let them emote, which is what actors, y'know, do after all? I wouldn't have minded seeing Zoe Saldana in the "flesh," so to speak. I mean, they did that on the old "Star Trek" TV show and that franchise is 44 years old and counting.
All they had to do was find 12 foot tall, strangely proportioned bone thin actors and put them in suits with fake hands and feet.
Old 01-13-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by QuikSilver

Hi Quicksilver, that must be exciting that you are meeting with the people involved with AVATAR. I have one question that many people may be curious about:

1. Was James Cameron influenced by Hayao Miyazaki films? Miyazaki's films often incorporate recurrent themes, such as humanity's relationship to nature and technology, and the difficulty of maintaining a pacifist ethic. Reflecting Miyazaki's feminism, the protagonists of his films are often strong, independent girls or young women; the villains, when present, are often morally ambiguous characters with redeeming qualities.
Old 01-13-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
All they had to do was find 12 foot tall, strangely proportioned bone thin actors and put them in suits with fake hands and feet.
with enormous eyeballs.
Old 01-13-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Why did they make the Avatars in the first place? You can use an oxygen mask on Pandora and everyone else does so that isn't why. Was it to hide amoung the Na'vi? No that wasn't it because the Na'vi knew they weren't real Na'vi. So what is the point?
They said it was done due to thinking the Na'vi would trust something that looked kinda like them more than something that looked human.
Old 01-13-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deep_lurk
Since you went through so much trouble to show a whole ecosystem for Pandora, what possible selective pressure led to the the Na'vi losing two of their arms, unlike everything else on the planet, including their glimpsed relatives the spacemonkeys (Gleek not withstanding)?
Some people take the movie waaaay to seriously. Perhaps they wanted the navi to look a little more human so the moviegoers would have a better connection with the characters?
Old 01-13-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
They said it was done due to thinking the Na'vi would trust something that looked kinda like them more than something that looked human.
And probably much easier and quicker to move around.
Old 01-13-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

If the Na'vi played basketball against the Monstars from Space Jam.. who would win?
Old 01-13-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

problem solved...

Old 01-13-10, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cpgator
Some people take the movie waaaay to seriously. Perhaps they wanted the navi to look a little more human so the moviegoers would have a better connection with the characters?
Well, if you are gong to pretend to be all serious about it, making up pseudo-documentaries and backgrounds about the world, then you should be prepared for basic questions like that. Either you mean it to be sciency, or you dont. You can't have it both ways.

Have fun with this:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ust_be_the.php
Old 01-13-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, if you are gong to pretend to be all serious about it, making up pseudo-documentaries and backgrounds about the world, then you should be prepared for basic questions like that. Either you mean it to be sciency, or you dont. You can't have it both ways.
Yeah you can, because it is just a movie. The only people who really ask question like that are the weird, nerdy types. The same ones who question Star Trek and Star Wars. Mostly because they don't understand those are just movies too.
Old 01-13-10, 01:29 PM

Have fun with this:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ust_be_the.php
You can practically taste the bitterness in that article. The attack on Star Wars was great too, gotta keep up appearances to seem consistent I guess.

As for an evolutionary chain, there's more than enough material in the film to make up your theory. Perhaps the Na'vi originally had 4 forearms, like the Lemurs shown early in the film, and perhaps they eventually adapted to having only 2, as that was what was required of them to properly synch, tame, and control the animals on Pandora, all of which only have 2 tentacles coming out of their head.

But it doesn't matter. Its a question that is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and one that completely ignores the concessions that must come with a 300 million dollar budgeted movie about a human falling in love with an alien. Yet even so, Cameron himself said that he would address the evolutionary questions about the Na'vi when he writes the novel, so it is not like he has never even bothered to think about the subject.

Last edited by Labor; 01-13-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Anyone interviewing the key grip on CRANK: HIGH VOLTAGE? I have some questions for him, too.
Old 01-13-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Cameron himself answered that question in a UK special about the film, and his answer was because it's been done to death on STAR TREK for years.

And I'm sure you are already aware that the actors playing Na'vi did indeed 'emote', not just provide voices, but I've no idea if you're being sarcastic or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.