Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best representation of a drill instructor in film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best representation of a drill instructor in film?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Re: Best representation of a drill instructor in film?

Seriously, how is this even a thread? Ermey.
Old 01-09-10, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

GOD DAMMIT -- I AM THE BEST !!!
Yeah, uhm....he was a marine instructor. And he was the DI in FMJ. Which was going to be for another actor but he got into the costume and just took fucking command of the whole thing. Kubrick didn't say anything bad about him so I guess the old motherfucker was just that good. And he is. Love hearing his voice in the Toy Story flicks. Always makes me smile.

Wiki had this on his career:

Ermey spent two years as a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California, and Parris Island, South Carolina from 1965 to 1967. In 1968, Ermey arrived in Vietnam where he served for 14 months with the Marine Wing Support Group 17. He then served two tours of duty in Okinawa, Japan, during which he rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) and was medically retired in 1972 for several injuries incurred during his tours.
film wise:
when he was cast as tough drill instructor Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket; Ermey also served as the technical advisor on the film. Initially, he was only intended to be the technical advisor, but Kubrick changed his mind after Ermey put together an instructional tape to convince Kubrick he was the right person for the role, in which Ermey went on an extended hair-raising drill instructor tirade towards several Royal Marines cast as extras, all the while being pelted by oranges and tennis balls, and managing to do so without repeating himself, stopping, or even flinching. Kubrick allowed him to write his own dialogue and improvise on set, a noted rarity in a Kubrick film. Kubrick later indicated that Ermey was an excellent performer, often needing just two or three takes per scene, also a noted rarity for a Kubrick film. Ermey's performance won critical raves and he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award as Best Supporting Actor.
I think if any man can make Kubrick change his method of working and it be great work he's got to be amazing. Ermey...I don't think you can stop him.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-09-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 07:20 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Actually Sgt. Hulka was a very good representation. However, in the army we had 2 drills per platoon.
must have been nice I had 4

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yeah, uhm....he was a marine instructor. And he was the DI in FMJ. Which was going to be for another actor but he got into the costume and just took fucking command of the whole thing. Kubrick didn't say anything bad about him so I guess the old motherfucker was just that good. And he is. Love hearing his voice in the Toy Story flicks. Always makes me smile.

Wiki had this on his career:

film wise:

I think if any man can make Kubrick change his method of working and it be great work he's got to be amazing. Ermey...I think you stop him.
He was also a DI in The Boys in Company C
Old 01-09-10, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, wiki had that but I solely put the FMJ thing cuz...well..it's pretty badass.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wijlLEriWYg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wijlLEriWYg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 01-09-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Philzilla
He was also a DI in The Boys in Company C
I like him in "The Siege of Firebase Gloria" where I believe he said the line:

(paraphrasing) "looks like its time to sprinkle some shit in Charlie's rice bowl."

R. Lee is the best.
Old 01-10-10, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Paul1957
I think Ermey may be one of the only actors to play a DI twice. He was also very good in The Boys in Company C.

The Frighteners
Old 01-10-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

must have been nice I had 4
Well we had 2 per platoon and 4 platoons in the company. Also there were 3 or 4 Drills in training. So we had alot more than just the 2 of them yelling at us.
Old 01-10-10, 11:46 AM
Political Exile

Well we had 2 per platoon and 4 platoons in the company. Also there were 3 or 4 Drills in training. So we had alot more than just the 2 of them yelling at us.
yeah we had 4 per platoon plus cause I was at Jackson with the drill school we were lucky enough to get some trainees to help us too
good times
Old 01-10-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah we had 4 per platoon plus cause I was at Jackson with the drill school we were lucky enough to get some trainees to help us too
good times
Hey that's where I did basic, 1981.
Old 01-10-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Sgt. Hulka was a very good representation. However, in the army we had 2 drills per platoon.
I was at Ft. Jackson in 2005(where I believe Renaissance Man was shot) and we had 3 per platoon and honestly the closest that i've seen is "In the Army Now" with Shore. I heard "Don't thank me thank your recruiter" constantly. Plus, we had three tiny black women(similar to Sgt. Ladd) in our company that were tougher and meaner than the biggest men that I came across.

Last edited by paradicelost; 01-10-10 at 04:52 PM.