Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First Time Seeing Baraka

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First Time Seeing Baraka

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Seeing Baraka

I actually bought the revamped 2008 Blu release based on several recommendations a long time ago but never watched it. Finally did last night and was blown away. Thank goodness we had some herb as well.

I know I'm late to the party as it's been out for many years but wow. Saw it on a hi-def projector and it is beautiful. The picture is so clear you feel you can touch things at times and the sound was crystal clear and very moving. A great movie and a great disc.

I can see how this is not a movie for everyone as some people just can't handle sitting there without dialogue and explosions (I still can't believe the friend that walked out on Fantasia because it was boring!) but for those that can, what an experience.

Just read there's a sequel to be released this year, Samsara. Hope that is at the IMAX.

Whew, just amazing.
Old 01-02-10, 01:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: First Time Seeing Baraka

from what I've read 'Samsara' will be released in all formats except IMAX - 35mm, 2k DLP, 4k Digital Projection and 70mm (since it was shot that way, as was 'Baraka').
Old 01-02-10, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info. Bummer, but it'll still be amazing, I'm sure.
Old 01-02-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

One of the best discs I've seen
Old 01-02-10, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've yet to see this.
Old 01-02-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you liked The Fall, you'll like Baraka!
Old 01-02-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Old 01-02-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Fatality!

If you enjoy those Philip Glass scores, you won't miss the unconventional lack of narrative. The images are great and the music is great. The landscapes and exposure to different cultures are inspiring. Lots of stuff that you wouldn't normally see. I enjoy watching it in the background, while writing.

If you have the HD On Demand channel, it's on there sometimes. That's where I first saw it.

If interested, there's another on called "Manufactured Landscapes" that's worth checking out. It plays on Sundance sometimes. If I remember correctly, it has some lecture and narration parts (similar to An Inconvenient Truth). But it's mostly just lots of fascinating images (both motion and stills).
Old 01-02-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...

Don't think I'll care for this movie but may check it out eventually. I thought The Fall was pretty disappointing and Fantasia is boring.

I liked the Planet Earth series, that was amazing. Don't know if that's related somehow.
Old 01-02-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see this in HD. Saw it several years ago and was also very impressed. Agreed that some herb is key.

I loved the pretty scenes of nature, but what really drew me in were the factory scenes and the shots of people in abject poverty. The portrayal and mood is downright dystopian, and ultimately what I remember most about the film.

The music is great too. Loved the use of that Dead Can Dance track.
Old 01-02-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I liked the Planet Earth series, that was amazing. Don't know if that's related somehow.
It isn't.
Old 01-04-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I actually first saw Baraka in the theater on its original release back around '92/'93. Even though it was a rather standard theater compared to the theaters that are around today, the movie really blew me away!

And I much prefer Baraka to the Qatsi films (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and the utterly forgettable Naqoyqatsi) that it's usually compared to, because I think the visuals in Baraka are even better and I like Michael Stearns' atmospheric music over Philip Glass' overly repetitive music.

The only thing I don't like about Baraka is the part with footage of the death camps at Auschwitz and Tuol Sleng, which seemed to me to be out-of-step with the rest of the film. (Still not sure what Ron Fricke was trying to say with that part in relation to the rest of the film.)

And I've been looking forward to Samsara ever since I read about it on the SpiritOfBaraka.com website but it seems to continuously get delayed for some reason (it was actually supposed to come out a couple of years ago).

I also recommend checking out Ron Fricke's earlier IMAX film Chronos, which is quite a bit like Baraka but just a lot shorter.