Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Complicated (Meyers, 2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I did a search for this and couldn't find anything.

The movie stars Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin.

It looks like it might be a decent film to see over the holidays.

Has anyone checked it out, and is it any good?
Old 12-25-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: It's Complicated (Meyers, 2009)

Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin have winning chemistry as a divorced couple, but the film has a good first half of a movie setting up the premise of a divorced couple (married almost 20 years, divorced 10 years), Jane (Streep) and Jake (Baldwin), re-connecting over a weekend at their sons college graduation. The fly in the ointment: Jake is married to a very young new wife, with a 5 year son from a previous relationship. Pretty soon, Jane has become the other woman in Jake's relationship, oh the irony.

So, the film mines this premise well in the start, tossing in Adam (Steve Martin) as the somewhat shy divorced architect working on Jane's new home additions project as a possible suitor for Jane, eliciting jealous feelings from Jake. Also toss in 3 almost grown up children, and a scene-stealing John Krasinski for some side laughs, but the film stalls in the final third of the movie, and basically lives up to its title "It's Complicated". Plus I was sort of distracted by how Asian Steve Martin looks nowadays with the plastic surgery he's had around his eyes, they are pulled tightly toward the temples of his head (which is somewhat ironic since Jane visits a plastic surgeon for bags under her eyes, and is scared straight by what the plastic surgeon suggest, a brow lift). But I digress...

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B- just because Streep carries the film, and she knows how to get the most of the material she's been given by director/writer Nancy Meyers.
Old 12-26-09, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad this film has finally been released. I don't think I could stand to see the trailer for it one more time.
Old 12-26-09, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
Plus I was sort of distracted by how Asian Steve Martin looks nowadays with the plastic surgery he's had around his eyes, they are pulled tightly toward the temples of his head
I should have known he had plastic surgery. He must be in his 60's or 70's but he still has smooth skin.
Old 12-29-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 740 Likes on 380 Posts

I saw this on the 26th. Meh. It was okay.
Old 12-29-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Saw it this weekend. The parts were the four were sitting around guffawing were pretty intolerable, but the rest of it was ok, and the bit in the hotel was pretty funny.
Old 12-29-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better than I thought it would be...nothing special but definitely enjoyable...but damn does Nancy Meyers know her audience, because the 50-70's filled crowd ate this shit up. The old women leaving the theatre were ecstatic about it.
Old 12-29-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

/\ /\ /\ Same at my show.
Old 01-01-10, 12:57 PM

I have always liked Nancy Myers films and this one has easily become one of my faves. I thought the casting was great and found myself laughing often yes it was a little fluffy but certainly a nice way to close out the year
Old 01-01-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was okay - IMO, it was one of those movies where the acting was better than the storyline.
Old 01-04-10, 08:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ no not really, both the acting AND the storyline were just annoying. Steve Martin being the exception. The movie felt like an extended CBS made for TV moviie. The crowd I saw it lapped it all up, I was just sitting there rolling my eyes in my head. - why this is getting Golden Globe attention is beyond me.

Last edited by Giles; 01-04-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
^ no not really, both the acting AND the storyline were just annoying. Steve Martin being the exception. The movie felt like an extended CBS made for TV moviie. The crowd I saw it lapped it all up, I was just sitting there rolling my eyes in my head. - why this is getting Golden Globe attention is beyond me.
God, I couldn't agree more. But I enjoyed some of it a bit more than you. First of all, this movie should have been called "10 Years". Because we are constantly reminded that's how long they've been apart/split. I swear it's the next drinking game. You hear "10 years", you take a shot or drink. Anyway, I want to talk about the house first. This now single and alone woman is getting an expansion on THAT home!? It's huge as is. And perfect IMO. When Baldwin said "You're now getting the kitchen you always dreamed of". I was like "Huh!?" That kitchen is amazing already. And when Baldwin wanted to spend the night, the son says "Come on mom, he can share my room". You telling me that huge house doesn't have another bed for Baldwin. And how about the couch? Which brings me to the reason why I didn't like the film. That "Dan in Real Life" syrupy family relationship. Was there one scene where the three adult kids didn't run into a room where Streep and Baldwin were having a conversation, to see what was going on?? The scene where they burst into the bedroom was especially disturbing. Which quickly turned nauseating when they all started to cry because they were still not over the divorce, you know, from "10 years" ago. But the scene that made me throw up in my mouth was Streep rushing over to her oldest daughter's home finding all three of the adult kids in bed together processing their parents getting back together. Still all weepy eyed. I literally said out loud in the theater "Oh COME ON!!!". Last, who selected the music for this film? The son's graduation party (which consisted most of early 20 somethings) started off kind of cool with Bowie's "Rebel Rebel". Next song was Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" (!!!!????). Then the Fine Young Cannibals' "Good Thing". Then some rap song I didn't recognize with Steve Martin dancing like and idiot with Baldwin's new wife. Wrapping up with "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys. Give me the phone number of that DJ so I will never call him for any party I give.
Old 01-05-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Hollywood Foreign Press loves Streep and Baldwin.
Old 01-05-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed 100%, although the John Krasinski scenes were pretty funny. But the rest was awful. Couldn't wait for it to end. I've noticed that Merryl Streep laughs at everything which is getting annoying. If something is funny then let the audience laugh on their own, we don't need her to get the joke too.
Old 01-05-10, 07:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ yes I agree John K's scene's were the best part of the film the weed bathroom scene was funny - but I wasn't trying to enjoy the scene too much with my Mom sitting just to my left.
Old 01-13-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I saw this tonight. It was alright...nothing I'd re-visit. Like a few others have said, the parts with John Krasinski were the highlight.
Old 01-14-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

^ yes I agree John K's scene's were the best part of the film the weed bathroom scene was funny...
This! Funny that he has a pretty decent sized role, but I didn't even know he was in it.

It seems the wife and I enjoyed this a lot more than pretty much everyone in this thread.
Old 01-15-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really enjoyed it as well. Baldwin was terrific, although his character was a little overbearing. Not enough Steve Martin. Streep definitely carries the movie. John Krasinski steals every scene he's in, especially the hotel scene.

And the shot of the three adult kids all weepy in bed together was hilarious, if more than a little unsettling.

A woman two rows in front of me really loved the movie, she was laughing like she was criminally insane throughout.
Old 01-28-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

No one wanted to see this movie with my mother so I took her to see it this afternoon; I did drag the poor woman to "The Informant!" late last year and she hated every second of that, so I owed her one.

I was honestly expecting an insufferable rehash of "Something's Gotta Give." I ended up being entertained far more than I hoped. It was a bit slow to start and at least 20 minutes too long overall, but the second act is great. It made me realize how shrill and overbearing Diane Keaton is in these rolls and was the second time I had recently been able to enjoy what Meryl Streep brings to a movie. Baldwin though was a riot as expected and Krasinski wound up being a lot more funny than the way he was introduced.

The only complaint I had aside from the length was:
Spoiler:
The fairy tale, happy ending. I'd give the movie an easy B (or 3/5 stars) if it had ended with a little more uncertainty. The ending they gave was obviously to send the target audience home happy, but it does undermine the fairly mature resolution preceding it.

It's a fair B- (or 2.5/5 stars) film. All the older people in the audience loved it and my mother, the film's target demographic said it was excellent.
Old 08-24-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Watched this On Demand last night... good, but not great. Even though a film like this holds little interest for me normally, I couldn't pass on watching Baldwin, Streep and Martin together on screen. I was hoping Martin would be a little more loose - wasn't expecting his character to be so dour. Baldwin stole the show, as I expected. He's an absolute riot when he gets going. Streep continues to prove why she is such a revered actress. I didn't really like how the kids were written - they just weren't working for me.

I'd rate it a solid 6/10.
Old 09-04-10, 06:13 PM
Cool New Member

I admit, I enjoyed this one; but it's not something I'd want to own. Funny thing though, I'm not a Steve Martin fan at all; he's the one who is really annoying to me, and it always seems like he's trying too hard. But the fact that he toned it back in favor of a more subtle performance in this was really nice, and his scenes were actually quite poignant. I was surprised.