Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chosen Ones in Hollywood right now: Sam Worthington, Mark Strong, and who's next?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Chosen Ones in Hollywood right now: Sam Worthington, Mark Strong, and who's next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Sam Worthington, but how in the hell did he get headlined in three huge movies in a row (Terminator, Avatar, Clash of the Titans) even before his fame? Is there some Hollywood conspiracy going on or he actually did the best in each of the auditions for all three of those films? But maybe that's how all Australian actors get famous (Jackman, Crowe, Bana). It seems like Australian actors get the hook up in Hollywood easier than actors from other countries that try to make it in Hollywood. Or maybe just a coincidence. I feel bad for Gerald Butler because he had to do a bunch of minor roles in Hollywood action movies before finally getting his fame from 300.

Same goes for Mark Strong. He's getting headlined in Sherlock Homes. Who is this guy? He's a great actor too as I've realized i've seen him in a lot of movies without knowing who he was. He's been the cool sauve dude in movies. But now he's getting headlined? I like him too, but I don't think he will ever get big - I think he's the next Jason Isaacs, Richard Roxburgh, or Sean Bean.

Can anyone think of any other actors headlining in big Hollywood films that just seem to be popping up out of the blue?
Old 12-20-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Chosen Ones in Hollywood right now: Sam Worthington, Mark Strong, and who's n

Who is Mark Strong?

He's Archie, a real rock n rolla!

And he's definitely not getting headlined in Sherlock Holmes. He's not mentioned in the commercials and on the movie posters he comes in 4th after Rachel McAdams.

I totally agree with Sam Worthington though.
Old 12-20-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Chosen Ones in Hollywood right now: Sam Worthington, Mark Strong, and who's n

Well the Captain from Star Trek is going to be Thor...So I am thinking he is breaking out.
Old 12-20-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Who is Mark Strong?

He's not mentioned in the commercials
Have you seen the movie trailers? He gets his name headlined 4th after McAdams...MARK STRONG in big bold letters. When I saw that, I was like "who?"
Old 12-20-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Mark Strong is "The MAN"

I first saw him as "Septimus" in "Stardust" and I've been a fan ever since. I look forward to seeing him in "Sherlock Holmes".

I hope he does get a shot at becoming a leading man because he has all the right stuff to be one.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-22-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree on the Worthington statement. I like the dude but he just popped up overnight.
Old 12-21-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

"Chosen One".

And people laughed and flamed me when I said that Hollywood did this.
Old 12-21-09, 12:16 AM

First thing I saw Worthington in was that crocodile movie Rogue (which was surprisingly prety good, really well shot too)

He is very likeable in any case.
Old 12-21-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Worthington first in Australia's SOMERSAULT (which was the movie that got Abbie Cornish recognition) which came out 6 years ago but I wasn't aware of his name. For anybody that saw Hart's War and The Great Raid, does anybody remember him being in the film (without rewatching it right now). I remember having this feeling last when I rewatched BLACK HAWK DOWN and was shocked to see Orlando Bloom in that film. I'm curious to rent ROGUE now, that horror crocidile film which stars Worthington and Rhada Mitchell.
Old 12-21-09, 01:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I saw Worthington first in Australia's SOMERSAULT.
This.
Old 12-21-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Wasn't Worthington's first "big" movie Avatar? (filmed a couple yrs ago?) and than Cameron recommended him to McG for T4. That was my understanding of it.. but yeah, I like him anyways, so good for him.
Old 12-21-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Maybe not completely out of the blue since she's had small parts in some big movies before, but Worthington's Avatar co-star Zoe Saldana seems to be this year's "It Girl" after Star Trek and Avatar.
Old 12-21-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Zoe Saldana deserves all the success in the world, she was the one acting bright spot in Avatar. Worthington has shown me twice now he's nothing special; he was ok in Terminator: Salvation but very flat in Avatar.
Old 12-21-09, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Can anyone think of any other actors headlining in big Hollywood films that just seem to be popping up out of the blue?
Based on the criteria you've outlined, I guess Anton Yelchin is who is next.
Old 12-21-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Zoe Saldana deserves all the success in the world, she was the one acting bright spot in Avatar. Worthington has shown me twice now he's nothing special; he was ok in Terminator: Salvation but very flat in Avatar.
I cant get past the fact that he cant even pull of a credible American accent.

Every few years when hollywood tries to tell us this new guy is the next big star. But usually the movie going public are like, ummmm no. A few that come to mind Jude Law and Colin Farrell.
Old 12-21-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Who is Sam repped by?
Old 12-21-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Wasn't Worthington's first "big" movie Avatar? (filmed a couple yrs ago?) and than Cameron recommended him to McG for T4. That was my understanding of it.. but yeah, I like him anyways, so good for him.
Did Worthington get the lead in CLASH OF THE TITANS before or after the success of TERMINATOR SALVATION?
Old 12-21-09, 12:43 PM

Mark Strong looks so much like Andy Garcia in SH, it's creppy
Old 12-21-09, 12:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I haven't seen the film, but based on what I know Strong and Downey should have switched roles in Sherlock Holmes.
Old 12-21-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Zoe Saldana deserves all the success in the world, she was the one acting bright spot in Avatar.
Plus, she's super cute.
Old 12-21-09, 12:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
First thing I saw Worthington in was that crocodile movie Rogue (which was surprisingly prety good, really well shot too)

He is very likeable in any case.
I was also going to mention this. It was an effective little thriller filmed in Australia. First time I saw Worthington as well.
Old 12-21-09, 01:21 PM

I'm going to have to add Bradley Cooper to the list. I knew him from Alias and a few small roles, but he went from a no-name to being one of the top 3 characters in Yes Man, He's Just Not That Into You, The Hangover, and All About Steve within what must have been just a few months.
Old 12-21-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Based on the criteria you've outlined, I guess Anton Yelchin is who is next.
Sure, let's just name the entire Star Trek cast as the new IT people.
Old 12-21-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eiker_ir
I agree...I think Mark Strong even looks like a genetic mix of Andy Garcia, Elias Kotias and Stanley Tucci:

++

=

Originally Posted by bunnydojo
I'm going to have to add Bradley Cooper to the list. I knew him from Alias and a few small roles, but he went from a no-name to being one of the top 3 characters in Yes Man, He's Just Not That Into You, The Hangover, and All About Steve within what must have been just a few months.
I would say that Bradley Cooper is the next Josh Lucas!
Old 12-21-09, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by eiker_ir
My girlfriend and I were out shopping and she saw a picture of Mark Strong for Sherlock Holmes. She said 'I didn't know Andy Garcia was in Sherlock Holmes?!' And I said...'Dude, he's not Andy Garcia. He was in Body of Lies, which we saw like two weeks ago.'

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.