Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011)

Old 05-05-08, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumor: Young X-Men sequel to be written by Josh Schwartz (the o.c.)

It was on Perez Hilton today (I know, I know). here's the link that Hilton got his info: http://filmonic.com/gossip-girl-and-...n-x-men-script

Despite the douchey comments; Schwartz filled The O.C. with numerous comic book references...he's clearly a fan. I'm cautiously optimistic. I would much rather see a Runaways film, but that book isn't as well known.
Old 05-05-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Young X-Men movie? Sounds more like The New Mutants. I don't see how they could go back to being a prequel about the founding members considering they already went off track with mythos in the movies. Angel, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast and Cyclops are the founding X-Men.
Old 05-05-08, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Young X-Men movie? Sounds more like The New Mutants. I don't see how they could go back to being a prequel about the founding members considering they already went off track with mythos in the movies. Angel, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast and Cyclops are the founding X-Men.

The article implies that it would focus on the younger x-men currently on the team. I'm guessing they'll use rogue and/or ice man as a way to introduce the other characters. Or maybe they'll try and get Ellen Page's Kitty Pryde.
Old 05-05-08, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'm down.
Old 05-05-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
I'll pass. X-Men the movie never really did it for me even though I love the comic. Just doesn't translate to film for me I guess.
Old 05-05-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they get Josh Schwartz, I'm there. The OC, Gossip Girl and Chuck are all great TV shows and I'd love to see him get involved in something like this...I think he'd knock it out of the park....(and he's totally right about Superman Returns)
Old 05-06-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love Chuck. This has potential.

Hell, as long as it's better than The Last Stand.
Old 05-06-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fact: this will suck.

I don't even need to know much about this guy's writing. I've never watched The OC or Chuck, they looked terrible. I just simply don't want to watch a movie about young mutants at the academy. It sounds like it has all kinds of potential to be lame.
Old 05-06-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
The article implies that it would focus on the younger x-men currently on the team. I'm guessing they'll use rogue and/or ice man as a way to introduce the other characters. Or maybe they'll try and get Ellen Page's Kitty Pryde.
Still sounds like the New Mutants when Kitty gets demoted and has to join the x-babies as she called them.
Old 05-06-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
young mutants spells doom franchise
Old 05-06-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

I don't even need to know much about this guy's writing. I've never watched The OC or Chuck, they looked terrible. I just simply don't want to watch a movie about young mutants at the academy. It sounds like it has all kinds of potential to be lame.
I totally agree
Old 05-06-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lame isnt even the word.... total complete mess is what this is... might join the likes of son of the mask
Old 05-06-08, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

I understand not wanting to see that particular premise, but in defense of Schwartz he's solid writer and a comic book geek to boot. There's still all kinds of chances this could blow big chunks, but they killed most of the previous cast and i really would rather not see a storm fronted movie. This does have some potential. If they bring in Emma Frost and revive Professor X this could be a new franchise. This mostly seems like a response to the avengers movie. Rant ended...
Old 05-06-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly
Love Chuck. This has potential.

Hell, as long as it's better than The Last Stand.
It won't take much to top The Last Stand.
Old 05-06-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If its more like Generation X rather than young X-men, I'd be interested.
Old 05-06-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Iceman, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Rogue - there's a good movie to be made there. Especially if you bring Patrick Stewart back (and the end of X3 certainly left that open as a possibility).

I'll keep an open mind about it. It could be good, it could be bad - I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 11-19-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
FOX hires Josh Schwartz (Gossip Girl/Chuck) to write X-Men: First Class

http://www.variety.com/VR1117996099.html

Twentieth Century Fox is gearing up to continue its "X-Men" franchise with a younger set of mutants.
Studio has tapped "Gossip Girl" creator Josh Schwartz to write "X-Men: First Class."

Schwartz, the creator and exec producer of CW's teen sudser hit as well as Fox's youth-centric "The OC" and NBC's "Chuck," is expected to inject a next-gen sensibility into the superhero series, which has earned $1.2 billion worldwide.

Writing assignment has also included the possibility of directing the pic, but so far Schwartz has opted not to take the helm.

Lauren Shuler Donner, who produced all three "X-Men" pics, as well as next summer's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," is producing "First Class" alongside "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" scribe Simon Kinberg.

Fox is keeping quiet on plans and declined to confirm details of the project. The studio has been considering ways to continue its successful series of "X-Men" movies after the third installment, the Brett Ratner-helmed "X-Men: The Last Stand," collected $459 million in 2006.

Fox has been leaning toward using the younger characters introduced in the previous pics in future installments -- teenagers with powers taught at the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning.

Resulting film would likely draw from elements of the Marvel comic of the same name, launched in 2006, and enlist such characters as Iceman, Rogue, Angel, Colossus, Jubilee and Shadowcat, who have appeared prominently or made cameos in prior pics.

Given Hollywood's penchant for reboots with new actors playing familiar roles, pic could also reintroduce characters. Comicbook revolves around the Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, Angel and Professor X.

Naturally, "First Class" could also result in its own series of sequels.

Pic joins other "X-Men"-related projects already in the works at the studio. Fox is actively developing a standalone "Magneto" pic, as well as considering a "Deadpool" spinoff, based on a character played by Ryan Reynolds in "Wolverine." Shuler Donner is producing "Magneto."

Regular slate of "X-Men" pics would provide Fox with a reliable series of movies that perform at the B.O. and not repeat a dismal summer sesh like the studio experienced this year.

Although Schwartz has enjoyed smallscreen success, he has yet to crack the world of film with a significant project. He wrote and is attached to direct the coming-of-age comedy "Looking for Alaska" for Paramount.

Tackling a new "X-Men" installment will likely give Schwartz instant credibility within the studio world.
Old 11-19-08, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Ugh, I'll pass so freaking much
Old 11-19-08, 01:31 AM
Suspended

hopefully it'll be as good as American Psyhco 2 and Cruel Intentions 2, 3, and 4
Old 11-19-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can Marvel take everything back NOW please . . .
Old 11-19-08, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Meh, it's not like any of the X-men films have been any good anyway.
Old 11-19-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
X2 was a pretty decent flick. Can't say the same about the other two though.

In regards to First Class, it sounds like crap to me. Gossip Girl, OC, really...?
Old 11-19-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
In regards to First Class, it sounds like crap to me. Gossip Girl, OC, really...?

Come on, X-men has more drama and angst than any comic in history

But for this to work, its going to hinge on the characters. Without Wolverine, theyre going to be hurting.
Old 11-19-08, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
X-men 1 and 2 were good, the third sucked. This First Class thing, catered to the "stupid ADD I need drama in my life" generation, will most likely suck as well.
Old 11-19-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like Gen-X.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116401/

Or maybe Smallville.

i could be ok as long as it isn't cheesy like the Gen-X and has several hot girls.

I only read a couple issues of First Class and didn't like it but I doubt they will follow the comic to the letter anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.