Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone's best of the decade

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone's best of the decade

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Entertainment Weekly and Rolling Stone's best of the decade

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I don't hate on TDK because it is popular with fanboys.
I'm a fanboy. I wanted and fully expected to love this movie, but it hits me with glaring chunks of absolute stupidity with an almost metronomic frequency.

Why does the batmobile upon it's first entrance, blithely destroy private property and endanger people by shooting off heavy ordinance? The only purpose to this I can see is to make loud, pretty 'splosions to get the testosterone of the audience raised. Otherwise what it seems to indicate is that Bruce Wayne is far more reckless and dangerous than any of the off-duty cops wearing hockey pads and brandishing assault weapons. There is no satisfaction in seeing Batman put these vigilantes in their place because he is 10x times worse and more irresponsible than they are.
If that wasn't bad enough, we see the Gotham PD effectively endorsing this un-deputized lunatic by putting a bat signal on their roof. You know how many lawsuits that would open them up to, as well as how many arrests and prosecutions would be compromised?
The film is littered with half baked concepts that Nolan clearly can't sufficiently grapple with- so they get introduced but never fully engaged.
It's a comic book movie. You're taking this shit too seriously.
Old 12-16-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There Will Be Blood? Eww...
Old 12-16-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Evidently no films were released outside of America the last decade.
Old 12-16-09, 02:20 PM

I was hoping that as the years have gone by, the polish of the Rings Trilogy would wear off. Guess not. It doesn't belong on any Top Ten of the Decade Lists.

Fellowship=Masterpiece(Extended especially) Towers and King=mediocre at best with King being slightly better...
Old 12-16-09, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't hate on TDK because it is popular with fanboys.
I'm a fanboy. I wanted and fully expected to love this movie, but it hits me with glaring chunks of absolute stupidity with an almost metronomic frequency.

Why does the batmobile upon it's first entrance, blithely destroy private property and endanger people by shooting off heavy ordinance? The only purpose to this I can see is to make loud, pretty 'splosions to get the testosterone of the audience raised. Otherwise what it seems to indicate is that Bruce Wayne is far more reckless and dangerous than any of the off-duty cops wearing hockey pads and brandishing assault weapons. There is no satisfaction in seeing Batman put these vigilantes in their place because he is 10x times worse and more irresponsible than they are.
If that wasn't bad enough, we see the Gotham PD effectively endorsing this un-deputized lunatic by putting a bat signal on their roof. You know how many lawsuits that would open them up to, as well as how many arrests and prosecutions would be compromised?
The film is littered with half baked concepts that Nolan clearly can't sufficiently grapple with- so they get introduced but never fully engaged.
Soooo...what's your point? Felt like a Batman comic to me...
Old 12-16-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpman
I was hoping that as the years have gone by, the polish of the Rings Trilogy would wear off. Guess not. It doesn't belong on any Top Ten of the Decade Lists.

Fellowship=Masterpiece(Extended especially) Towers and King=mediocre at best with King being slightly better...
This. But what the hell, let the fanboys have their moment.
Old 12-16-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

Man I'm bored today.

Excellent:
Lord of the Rings: FOTR, Lord of the Rings:ROTK, The Dark Knight, Lost in Translation, There Will Be Blood, Mulholland Drive, The Incredibles

Very Good:
Children of Men, A History of Violence, No Country for Old Men,

Good:
40 Year Old Virgin, Gladiator, The Departed, Almost Famous, LOTR: Two Towers

Not so good:
Wall-E, Mystic River

Terrible:
Moulin Rouge

Haven't seen Brokeback
Old 12-16-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

There Will Be Blood will go down in history as the movie of the Decade. When the AFI updates its 100 best of all time list again it will be the highest ranked movie from the past decade.
Old 12-16-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07
There Will Be Blood will go down in history as the movie of the Decade. When the AFI updates its 100 best of all time list again it will be the highest ranked movie from the past decade.
It wouldn't be MY choice, but you could do a hell of a lot worse.
Old 12-16-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I fell asleep during Fellowship. Oddly enough, I liked Towers the best out of the 3.

Originally Posted by sauce07
I don't know about that, I think No Country probably tops it on a lot of people's lists even though I hated it myself. I would actually guess that Dark Knight will be most remembered, maybe not on all critical lists like AFI but as far as the general public and entertainment industry goes.

Well, unless Avatar crushes it.
Old 12-16-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
EW
1.Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2.Brokeback Mountain
3.Gladiator
4.The Dark Knight
5.Wall E
6.Moulin Rouge
7.Children of Men
8.The 40 Year Old Virgin
9.Lost in Translation
10.Almost Famous
clearly they aren't as well-seen as the folks at The New Yorker.
Old 12-16-09, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
It is just opinions. At least Rolling Stone's is all one person (Peter Travers) as opposed to multiple people like EWs.
Isn't that like saying Rush Limbaugh is one person and FOXNEWS is multiple people. Bottom line is they think one way.
Old 12-16-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I haven't seen these since Return of the Kings's theatrical run, but the production values were astounding. And I'm not sure just what it is that makes Fellowship so much better than the second and third parts of this three-picture epic. I can understand liking the beginning of a story better than the middle and final acts (Die Another Day comes to mind), but I can't think of a single reason to hold Fellowship in higher regard than Two Towers or Return of the King. For my money, The Two Towers is the best of that trilogy. It's pure adventure, fraught with peril from start to finish.

Originally Posted by mcfly
I love how it's cool to hate on The Dark Knight simply because of all the fandom that ensued upon its release and because of all the fanboys it still obtains. But for any of you to call the film "crap", or not that good, or one of the best of the decade, then you're blind.
TDK is almost universally beloved and held up as some paragon of a smart, mature treatment of a low brow source/subject.

The problem is the thing is monumentally dumb. It has glaring lapses of logic, believability, and coherence.
Sorry, but I think it definitely says something about the audience if they still, after all the hype and spectacle has died down, champion nonsense as having some profundity.
Here's what I'll say about The Dark Knight:

I loved the symbolism of Harvey Dent being the manifestation of the struggle between Batman and The Joker; each extreme (order and chaos) sought to claim him for his own purposes, and it drove him insane in the end. It was interesting how both conservative and liberal reviewers saw in this film either an endorsement or indictment of the Bush administration. Wiretapping as a necessary act? The importance of laying down extreme powers? These are not unimportant issues addressed in this film, and in this way it may be one of the most relevant mainstream films of its era.

Aside from the allegorical value, I do see the legitimacy of the complaints registered above (and elsewhere). On its surface, there are several plot elements that aren't necessarily as well executed as perhaps they could have been. Ultimately, though, I think The Dark Knight is about post-9/11 America than it is about Batman, and so I'm inclined to give it a pass on my nit picks and instead applaud its very thoughtful efforts at being more than just a "comic book movie."
Old 12-16-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Isn't that like saying Rush Limbaugh is one person and FOXNEWS is multiple people. Bottom line is they think one way.
All film critics across publications think the same way? Why on Earth do we need Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes then?
Old 12-19-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

Metacritic has their list out now too:

http://features.metacritic.com/featu...opslot;title;1
Old 12-19-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There Will Be Blood is the best movie of the decade and one of the best movies ever made.
Old 12-19-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
Metacritic has their list out now too:

http://features.metacritic.com/featu...opslot;title;1
Nice to see Werckmeister Harmonies at #16, though it should be about 15 spots higher.
Old 12-19-09, 08:54 PM
Orb
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Entertainment Weekly with another awful list? Surprise, surprise!
Old 12-19-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I fell asleep during Fellowship. Oddly enough, I liked Towers the best out of the 3.
Two Towers was the best of the three