Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.00%
20.00%
26.25%
9.69%
6.56%
3.44%
3.44%
0.94%
0.94%
0.31%
1.25%
James Cameron can kiss my skinny/fat ass!
2.19%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kms_md
3d imho.
Absolutely. If you don't see it now, it's going to be awhile till we see proper 3D in home theater.
Old 12-23-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since it was looking like either bad weather for the next few days or sold out shows on Imax-3D, I took in my 2nd viewing this morning, and this time, instead of the usual slouchy seated position I typically take when watching movies, I was sitting on the back row and I was sitting up in rapt attention, and this film just has this way of reducing me to an 8 year old boy watching something wondrous and exciting on the big screen.

The scenes when Jake finally tames his flying banshee and soars through the skies are simply exhilarating and exciting. The joy on his face, as well as Neytiri's face riding and racing about brought the same big smile on my face, I held my tears back, but I felt them well up in spots just from such cinematic joy on display. With foreknowledge of the plotline, it freed me to simply take in the visual feast unencumbered and allowed me to soak up as much of the on-screen details I had missed on my initial viewing. I know I'll take in one more Imax-3D viewing, perhaps in a few weeks, after this surge of cinematic adrenaline has subsided.
Old 12-23-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I don't get it.
Lucas is sad that Cameron makes better cartoons than he does.
Old 12-23-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Lucas is sad that Cameron makes better cartoons than he does.
Your funny
Old 12-23-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Your funny
What about my funny?
Old 12-23-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Since it was looking like either bad weather for the next few days or sold out shows on Imax-3D, I took in my 2nd viewing this morning, and this time, instead of the usual slouchy seated position I typically take when watching movies, I was sitting on the back row and I was sitting up in rapt attention, and this film just has this way of reducing me to an 8 year old boy watching something wondrous and exciting on the big screen.

The scenes when Jake finally tames his flying banshee and soars through the skies are simply exhilarating and exciting. The joy on his face, as well as Neytiri's face riding and racing about brought the same big smile on my face, I held my tears back, but I felt them well up in spots just from such cinematic joy on display. With foreknowledge of the plotline, it freed me to simply take in the visual feast unencumbered and allowed me to soak up as much of the on-screen details I had missed on my initial viewing. I know I'll take in one more Imax-3D viewing, perhaps in a few weeks, after this surge of cinematic adrenaline has subsided.
You know, this pretty much sums up my feelings as well.... Went and watched it again tonight (and it was a pretty packed house in Queens) with a friend and was still awed by it. Not moved to tears, but for some reason this film just takes me back to watching movies when I was a kid. Still want to see it on a real IMAX screen so I may have to go a 3rd time (something I havent done in a long long time) to trek up to Lincoln Ctr. and check it out.
Old 12-24-09, 01:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
What about my funny?
`tis broken.
Old 12-24-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During the Na'vi love scene, I was thinking that Jake and Neytiri should plug their ponytails together. Then it occurred to me that people would associate this with bestiality when plugging into the animals. So, the Na'vi just fuck the old fashioned way I guess. Oh, and they "see" each other too. Nice.
Old 12-24-09, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
The joy on his face, as well as Neytiri's face riding and racing about brought the same big smile on my face, I held my tears back, but I felt them well up in spots just from such cinematic joy on display.
must have missed that bit!
Old 12-24-09, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
For one thing it's highly derivitive. It's a Frankenstein of parts borrowed from Dune, Return of the Jedi, Broken Arrow (the Jimmy Stewart film), Dances With Wolves, Last of the Mohicans and Fort Apache. The archetypes of the story are so familiar, and presented with so little variation, that the story is lifeless, predictable, and unengaging. The story says nothing original, it has no surprises, at no point does it fail at being comletely predictable.
Problem is, none of the kids on this board have seen any westerns. So stuff that's overly familiar to us old-timers would seem new to them. To the rest of you--if your fathers had been doing their paternal duty and making you watch westerns as you were growing up, we wouldn't be having this problem. Instead of going to see AVATAR again, get yourself RED RIVER, THE SEARCHERS, GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL or THE WILD BUNCH and see a real movie, dammit, and not some techie-conjured CGI fest.
Old 12-24-09, 12:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen three of the four movies you've mentioned, along with a slew of other westerns, and still loved Avatar. But thanks for making baseless accusations as to other people's knowledge and taste.
Old 12-24-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have the stories in James Cameron films ever been original? No they haven't. Have they borrowed storylines from previous films? Yes they have. Does this matter? No it doesn't. Cameron films are awesome. If you want an original story, go watch a Charlie Kaufman movie instead.
Old 12-24-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've seen three of the four movies you've mentioned, along with a slew of other westerns, and still loved Avatar. But thanks for making baseless accusations as to other people's knowledge and taste.
couldnt have said better myself
Old 12-24-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I loved it. It was a visual feast, and while some may not like the overlong establishing shots, I could have gone a whole movie with just that. I would even watch a 3D Planet Pandora documentary style movie.

It really felt like I was experiencing a brand new world, and while the story did have its cheesy parts, and there were no surprises, I really didn't care. I just loved going through the same experience as the main character getting to explore and get to know a whole new world.
Old 12-24-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Problem is, none of the kids on this board have seen any westerns. So stuff that's overly familiar to us old-timers would seem new to them. To the rest of you--if your fathers had been doing their paternal duty and making you watch westerns as you were growing up, we wouldn't be having this problem. Instead of going to see AVATAR again, get yourself RED RIVER, THE SEARCHERS, GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL or THE WILD BUNCH and see a real movie, dammit, and not some techie-conjured CGI fest.
Of course, back when you were watching those, the old-timers would have told you they were borrowed from older stories/novels/plays, which were in turn derived from other shit. Pretty much most of what we think about anything can be traced back to Shakespeare and HE got most of his plots from earlier plays and poems.

There's almost nothing that's actually original. What changes is style and technology. These kinds of budget-busting spectaculars were also popular long before film when they would produce explosions and even water battles on stage for silly plays about pirates and princesses.

Someday some fuddy duddy will be whapping a kid on the head with a newspaper and telling him to watch something of substance, like Avatar and Pulp Fiction.
Old 12-24-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Your assumptions are hilarious. The fact that someone has to be a certain age to have seen any Westerns? The Blu-Ray copy of The Wild Bunch my Dad has waiting for him under the tree for X-Mas must be a figment of imagination then. Film is film, storytelling is storytelling regardless of medium.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/16...light=westerns

That thread shouldn't exist if none of us "young kids" watched Westerns. Also are you psychic? Start a thread in the "Other Talk" on how you are able to read everyone's age on this board without asking.

Since when did age determine film tastes? Just because we aren't dropping threads all over the places about specific genres, doesn't mean they are either misrepresented or forgotten. I love Exploitation Flicks (which by your judgment call I shouldn't be watching because I am too young to know what they are) but I'm not making a thread about it every second.

I know there are people on this board that come from all different backgrounds that love all kinds of film. Which is why I love these forums so much. I know no matter what kind of genre of film I like, there is always a group around here to discuss them with.

Example:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ght=disturbing

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-24-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Yeah, Ash, your perception of "the kids on this board" is way off base, as a great majority of DVDTalk skews a lot older than most other boards out there, and also skews higher than average for comprehensive knowledge on film history.
Old 12-24-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My theater was full of teenage girls, so looks like it appeals to them as well. Even overhearing them talking about it afterward they seemed to enjoy the movie a lot. Looks like another big hit for Cameron.
Old 12-24-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5 stars for me. The 3D environment was pretty amazing, but I still don't care for the character design, which made me feel I was watching a cinematic from a video game rather then real life characters moving in a realistic world. Often times it felt more like I was watching green screen work like Sky Captain. I enjoyed it in IMAX 3D, and this was definitely better then the other 3D films i've seen (Coraline, Monsters vs Aliens), although it took me awhile to settle in and for my eyes to adjust. I'm curious to see how it plays in 2D and if Pandora would lose some of it's luster.

I was fine with the story of the movie. It was fairly predictable, but I'm hardly someone that screams about the lack of originality in Hollywood and the story did it's job well. I also didn't find the performances particularly bad like some folks seem to think. Everyone did their job well, with Zoe Saldana and Stephen Lang standing out in particular as very good performances that helped carry the film. The military stuff.... eh, it never bothers me. I don't think about films being pro or anti military, politics, or government. A friend of mine in the military posted about how he hated the anti military bias, but to me it's just part of the story and as long as it makes sense, which it did here, I don't have a complaint.

I think it could have trimmed 10-15 minutes, or replaced some of the action with some better character introduction to start the film, particularly for Jake.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-24-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 06:34 PM

If anything, it needed another 20-30 minutes. It wasn't long enough as it was. The movie didnt even feel as long as 2h40m
Old 12-24-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Labor
If anything, it needed another 20-30 minutes. It wasn't long enough as it was. The movie didnt even feel as long as 2h40m
I'd be interested to see what was cut. Maybe we will get it.

I saw it for the second time yesterday but at the IMAX 3D in Austin. Yes it's better than the XD. I could see the difference, but I am not an XD hater. That looked stellar for Plano, TX. But I agree with whoever said IMAX looked "less digital." Gotta see the Alamo's 4K now and I'll be done.
Old 12-24-09, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I'd be interested to see what was cut. Maybe we will get it.

I saw it for the second time yesterday but at the IMAX 3D in Austin. Yes it's better than the XD. I could see the difference, but I am not an XD hater. That looked stellar for Plano, TX. But I agree with whoever said IMAX looked "less digital." Gotta see the Alamo's 4K now and I'll be done.
I am guessing the prior cut to the one we got was around 3 hours, as James Horner said he scored a 3 hour films

There are things we know were cut:

- Pretty much every scene that took place on Earth
- A scene during the Jakes training were he goes hunting with the Na'vi (with an animal not scene in the current film) that ends with a sort of party with the Na'vi
- Introducing heads of the other Na'vi clans
- More scenes with Giovanni Ribisi
- More Grace with the Na'vi

Really, the only reason the movie isnt longer imo is due to the IMAX limit.

Here is something Cameron has recently said about an Extended cut:

BD: What plans to you have for an extended director's cut for the Blu-ray/DVD?

JC: It's in discussion. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm gonna approach it yet. We might do something where we create an interactive DVD that's got a pathway so you could watch the movie the way it was released or watch it with other scenes in it or maybe do your own version with more of this or less of that.
Old 12-24-09, 06:54 PM

The military stuff.... eh, it never bothers me. I don't think about films being pro or anti military, politics, or government. A friend of mine in the military posted about how he hated the anti military bias, but to me it's just part of the story and as long as it makes sense, which it did here, I don't have a complaint.
The soldiers in the film were were mercenaries who served as the private army for "the company," not military.

Even if they had been military, it's not necessary that every film portray them as enlightened warrior-poets. The ground troops were following orders handed down by their superiors, for good or bad.
Old 12-24-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grrr
The soldiers in the film were were mercenaries who served as the private army for "the company," not military.

Even if they had been military, it's not necessary that every film portray them as enlightened warrior-poets. The ground troops were following orders handed down by their superiors, for good or bad.
Oh. Whatever they were, I'm indifferent to their cause and purpose other then just seeing them as generic soldiers fighting.
Old 12-24-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you don't like this forum then leave. AVATAR has everything I want to see in a movie, beauty, great music, good acting, great visuals, action, good directing, good editing, and a good story to go with it. Some people, me included don't like westerns, I just don't make a connection to them on any level, and their is nothing wrong with that. Their is also nothing wrong with you not liking AVATAR. But you have to stop thinking that you have better taste then everybody and just except that some people don't like the same movies as you. Stop insulting people on this forum for having different tastes then you do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.