Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Live-action MULAN movie from China

Old 12-10-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Live-action MULAN movie from China

It looks like a pretty generic Chinese battle movie. It's pretty wierd that Russian pop singer Vitas is in this flick...
Old 12-10-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Live-action MULAN movie from China

is Eddie Murphy in this?
Old 12-10-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
is Eddie Murphy in this?
I think the film would be better with him, especially if they already have some white Russian pop star in this...
Old 12-10-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shaw Bros. produced a version of the story in 1964 entitled, LADY GENERAL HUA-MULAN, and it starred Ivy Ling Po in the title role. It had its epic scenes, but they were interspersed with lots of singing. It was what's called "Huangmei Opera," an operetta style of production mixing spoken dialogue with copious amounts of singing. I liked it a helluva lot better than the Disney version.
Old 12-11-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

>Sigh<. Anyways, casting choices like this is hardly new (or news) in Chinese cinema these days.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...#ixzz0ZQoX0jR5

But there's a foreign presence even in this Chinese attempt to take back its own. The Russian entertainer Vitas plays the role of a singer from a distant land held hostage by the nomadic and militant Rouran tribe, which is set on invading Chinese territory. The casting choice, [director Jingle] Ma explained, was a simple marketing decision. Starlight International represents Vitas in China. And, who knows, the Russian actor could be key to the new Mulan's conquest of foreign audiences.
And by "foreign" they're not really talking exclusively about North Americans. Vitas is quite popular in China (as in Russia), so this is understandable, and the story thread moderately probable considering the time period (of course, considering the whole thing's a myth, I'm sure there's room for creative license to be taken ).

I will agree that, at first blush, the film looks overly familiar because the visuals have been done so many times in recent years.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-11-09 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone catch the credits at the end? Jaycee Chan, Jackie's son, is in the cast.