Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
re: The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Did it? Being a happily married man I really didn't notice.
That's interesting coming from someone who professes to love Sandra Bullock early in the thread.

I figured you must like her looks because it sure can't be for her talent considering how much garbage she produces annually.

Either she just continually chooses bad scripts or she's not getting offered very much good material.
Old 01-17-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

My wife liked it quite a bit, while I thought it was just okay.

**1/2 out of five.

Sandra Bullock was really good.

Dude's teeth were jacked up and they distracted me throughout the movie.

We both thought it was too long.
Old 01-17-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An okay feel good movie. Exactly what I expected. I don't regret seeing it.
Old 01-17-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice win for the movie and Sandra.
Old 01-18-10, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great fictional movie. It's even better if you come into it with a basic understanding of the story both as told and as what actually happened. The skeptic in me does believe that the real life circumstances were considerably different than the movie portrays. In other words, the NCAA probably had it right but couldn't prove the family's true intentions.

In reality, the husband isn't some slacker who sits around the house all day collecting money from Taco Bell....he's the radio color commentator for the Memphis Grizzlies. She went to both the high school and Ole Piss. The janitor may have brought Oher to the school's attention but it is my belief that it was a coordinated effort by the school and the Touhys to get him in school, teach him football, and hand him to their alma mater. The comment by the wife when Orgeron comes to visit about having him on a silver platter had more truth to it than just a throw away line. If you need further proof....there's no way a Ole Piss recruit isn't also heavily pursued by Mississippi State. The fact that they aren't even mentioned...and the fact that they substitute Tennessee for MSU really shows how slanted and slimey the story as told really is.
Old 01-18-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
Great fictional movie. It's even better if you come into it with a basic understanding of the story both as told and as what actually happened. The skeptic in me does believe that the real life circumstances were considerably different than the movie portrays. In other words, the NCAA probably had it right but couldn't prove the family's true intentions.

In reality, the husband isn't some slacker who sits around the house all day collecting money from Taco Bell....he's the radio color commentator for the Memphis Grizzlies. She went to both the high school and Ole Piss. The janitor may have brought Oher to the school's attention but it is my belief that it was a coordinated effort by the school and the Touhys to get him in school, teach him football, and hand him to their alma mater. The comment by the wife when Orgeron comes to visit about having him on a silver platter had more truth to it than just a throw away line. If you need further proof....there's no way a Ole Piss recruit isn't also heavily pursued by Mississippi State. The fact that they aren't even mentioned...and the fact that they substitute Tennessee for MSU really shows how slanted and slimey the story as told really is.
I don't know, it seems awfully far fetched to think they find some fat kid and have dreams of delivering him to Ole Miss. Do I think that come recruiting time they pushed heavily for Ole Miss? Absolutely. I just have a hard time seeing that that was the plan from the get go.
Old 01-18-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't know, it seems awfully far fetched to think they find some fat kid and have dreams of delivering him to Ole Miss. Do I think that come recruiting time they pushed heavily for Ole Miss? Absolutely. I just have a hard time seeing that that was the plan from the get go.
Not to mention the poster sounds somewhat biased against the school in question.
Old 01-19-10, 01:17 PM

I make no secret of my bias....but even with it, the whole thing is fishy. Look at the facts and at the very least there are a few serious NCAA issues. Black and White....legally they weren't anything to him until he was emerging a prime prospect. They then made a very big point of swaying him directly to Ole Piss. The kid wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and they manipulated him into going to their school of choice.

As I said though....it was a great fictional movie.
Old 01-19-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
As I said though....it was a great fictional movie.
I told the kids, based on a true story means that someone was once named the same thing as the main character, everything else was Hollywood.
Old 01-19-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I haven't seen this, but I have to share a funny story ... my daughter (15) and her new boyfriend supposedly went to see the Blind Side over the weekend. They supposedly went to a 6:20 showing and were home by 8:30. The run time is listed at just over two hours and we live 25 minutes from the theater ...

My wife was questioning whether or not they really went to the movie. She began grilling my daughter about the show ... my son (13) decides he is going to bust my daughter out. He chimes in "It's about a blind football player." My daughter jumps on that: "He's not completely blind -- he can see a little bit."
Old 01-20-10, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice story.
Old 01-20-10, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw it tonight with my girlfriend, and we both really enjoyed it. I think she loved it, I'd say I really liked it, but felt some parts seemed a bit long, especially in the middle third. Should I be embarrassed to admit I didn't know it was based on a true story until the end when they show the real guy being drafted by the Ravens? Was there a "Based on a True Story" tag at the beginning I missed?
Old 01-20-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I haven't seen this, but I have to share a funny story ... my daughter (15) and her new boyfriend supposedly went to see the Blind Side over the weekend. They supposedly went to a 6:20 showing and were home by 8:30. The run time is listed at just over two hours and we live 25 minutes from the theater ...

My wife was questioning whether or not they really went to the movie. She began grilling my daughter about the show ... my son (13) decides he is going to bust my daughter out. He chimes in "It's about a blind football player." My daughter jumps on that: "He's not completely blind -- he can see a little bit."
get the shotgun ready
Old 01-20-10, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Hilarious. I would say your daughter should have said they went and saw another movie that sounds similar to the Blind Side but I might be giving away that particular movie. Funny nonetheless.
Old 02-14-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Just saw this today. A little too hokey for my tastes but not dreadfully painful to sit through. Sandra Bullock was nice looking but that daughter (Don't worry she's legal )

One thing that bugged me
Spoiler:
Michael crashes the truck with Sandra Bullocks kid in the front seat. Bullock arrives without showing any anger towards Michael 'You almost killed my son but that's okay it's not your fault'
Old 02-14-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Just saw this today. A little too hokey for my tastes but not dreadfully painful to sit through. Sandra Bullock was nice looking but that daughter (Don't worry she's legal )

One thing that bugged me
Spoiler:
Michael crashes the truck with Sandra Bullocks kid in the front seat. Bullock arrives without showing any anger towards Michael 'You almost killed my son but that's okay it's not your fault'
Yes, the movie was hokey, but she didn't say that to Michael at all. It was an accident. She realized that. Look, the real life person (Leigh Anne Tuohy), has huge heart of gold. She wouldn't have lashed out at Michael like given everything she did for him before, and after. Again, it was an accident.
Old 02-16-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sandra Bullock was nice looking but that daughter (Don't worry she's legal )
Lily Collins. Her dad is Phil Collins. Yes, that Phil Collins.

If it wasn't for Sandra Bullock's performance, I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie as much as I did.

There is nothing original about this movie, but it's well done.

When Miss Sue told LeAnn that she had to tell her something, I thought she was going to tell her that she was gay. Instead, she tells her that she's
Spoiler:
a Democrat.
One of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

S.J. was a funny little kid. I liked his grilling the coaches about what was in it for him i.e. Micheal's recruiting.

Old 02-17-10, 06:12 PM

Wow, Phil Collins' daughter...I would have never guessed!

Yeah, I think Sandra Bullock did an amazing job, but then again -- she is probably one of my most favorite actresses! I've loved so many of her movies and appreciate that she came tackle various roles. I thought the entire cast did a good job in this one.
Old 02-17-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing that bugged me
Spoiler:
That's pretty much how it occurred in the book.
Old 08-14-23, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Very weird twist in the real-life story today :
Old 08-14-23, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Huh, I had no idea Emily in Paris was in this.
Old 08-14-23, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Huh, I had no idea Emily in Paris was in this.
Yup, Collins was played by a Collins.
Old 08-14-23, 12:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

So... sequel?
Old 08-14-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I just saw a list that showed this was the most rented DVD in Netflix history
Old 08-14-23, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
So... sequel?
Blindsided
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (08-17-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.